How are your expectations with Sam Allardyce compared to with previous managers?

Guest niina

I just want to see improvement and progression to start with. He's got some big rebuilding Job to do, so patience is required, but i do expect to see progression. UFEA cup PLACES BY THE SEASON AFTER NEXT bare minimum. Onwards and upwards from there hopefully.

• 1 month later...
Guest trotter58

Afternoon Geordies! Just dropped in to see what your expectations are for the new season and life under Big Sam. If you have any questions about his methods at BWFC, i'll do my best to answer them.

Afternoon Geordies! Just dropped in to see what your expectations are for the new season and life under Big Sam. If you have any questions about his methods at BWFC, i'll do my best to answer them.

Would he consider growing a 'tache?

My expectations will depend on the budget he's given to work with and the freedom he's given to use it.

Assuming he's given a decent wedge of cash (which I think he will be) then I expect a UEFA Cup finish this season. People will say new signings need to adapt etc, but that's why we pay the manager his huge salary, to get one of the highest paid and most expensively assembled squads into a respectable league position. It's not too much to ask and I think he'll do it.

I have to say I was more excited when Bobby Robson came though. I think some people are overrating Allardyce a bit although I hope their faith is justified.

Guest SeattleToon

My expectations are a spot in Europe. Given Henry's departure from Arsenal, the race for the 4th Champions League spot is now wide open, so it's not inconceivable that we could challnege for that if everything goes well.

I have to say that I'm very impressed by Allardyce so far...here it is June 30th, and he's already signed three new players and is close to signing several more. In past seasons, under both Roeder and Souness, we never signed any new players this early in the summer, and usually finished our business on the last day of the transfer window, after the season had already started. In contrast, this year we will probably have the squad completely assembled by the end of July, two weeks before the season starts, so that everybody will be able to train together.

My expectations are a spot in Europe. Given Henry's departure from Arsenal, the race for the 4th Champions League spot is now wide open, so it's not inconceivable that we could challnege for that if everything goes well.

I have to say that I'm very impressed by Allardyce so far...here it is June 30th, and he's already signed three new players and is close to signing several more. In past seasons, under both Roeder and Souness, we never signed any new players this early in the summer, and usually finished our business on the last day of the transfer window, after the season had already started. In contrast, this year we will probably have the squad completely assembled by the end of July, two weeks before the season starts, so that everybody will be able to train together.

In fairness to Souness and Roeder, a lot of it probably had to do with Shepherd and also the need to sell before we bought. Now there's probably more money available so we can buy before we sell.

Mind Roeder was bloody slow with his 'scouting missions', you could clearly tell he hadn't done all his homework prior to the window opening.

Keegan, I was over the moon as I'd been through his time here as a player and had a good idea how the atmosphere would improve around the club.  I felt a bit sorry for Ardilles but was over the moon with his replacement.

Dalglish, I wanted us to get Sir Bobby and would have preferred to have waited for his contract to expire, I thought we'd do OK under him but become boring.  I was wrong, we became shite and boring.

Gullit, I was OK with this because I was taken in by the promise of sexy football although I can't ever remember him saying it, everybody just seemed to take it for granted.

Sir Bobby, over the moon, I expected a lot from him and he didn't fail to deliver.  I would have loved to have seen him come earlier as I'm sure we wouldn't still be waiting for silverware if we had waited for him to replace Keegan.  It would have been something to watch if he'd inherited what Keegan had left behind.

Souness, probably the worst manager ever appointed at this club and we've had some shit in our time.  I was gutted when he got the job, just thinking about it now and it doesn't seem any better.

Roeder, possibly the second worst manager we've had but that would be a tough call.  I tried my best to support him because it wasn't his fault that he was given the job but it wasn't easy because I had him sussed all along and predicted most of what actually happened.  While quite a few people thought he'd earned the job, I thought he'd earned nothing, he was just lucky to be at the club when the negativity of Souness was lifted.

Allardyce, I was more than happy when he was appointed but now wonder if he's right for us since the club has changed so much in a short space of time.  I think he's trying to turn us into Bolton Mk II instead of trying to go to the next level.  I still have faith that we can do well but I think it could be very ugly football at times, I think some people are expecting far too much from him and they may be left feeling a bit let down, time will tell.

Makes a change going into a new season with a new manager, when was the last time that happend?

Technically, I think it must have been 1985, when McFaul was appointed after Jackie Charlton stomped off in a huff during pre-season.

The one and only time I've ever sat in the east stand to watch Newcastle apart from when we had the benches.

Keegan, I was over the moon as I'd been through his time here as a player and had a good idea how the atmosphere would improve around the club.  I felt a bit sorry for Ardilles but was over the moon with his replacement.

Dalglish, I wanted us to get Sir Bobby and would have preferred to have waited for his contract to expire, I thought we'd do OK under him but become boring.  I was wrong, we became s**** and boring.

Gullit, I was OK with this because I was taken in by the promise of sexy football although I can't ever remember him saying it, everybody just seemed to take it for granted.

Sir Bobby, over the moon, I expected a lot from him and he didn't fail to deliver.  I would have loved to have seen him come earlier as I'm sure we wouldn't still be waiting for silverware if we had waited for him to replace Keegan.  It would have been something to watch if he'd inherited what Keegan had left behind.

Souness, probably the worst manager ever appointed at this club and we've had some s*** in our time.  I was gutted when he got the job, just thinking about it now and it doesn't seem any better.

Roeder, possibly the second worst manager we've had but that would be a tough call.  I tried my best to support him because it wasn't his fault that he was given the job but it wasn't easy because I had him sussed all along and predicted most of what actually happened.  While quite a few people thought he'd earned the job, I thought he'd earned nothing, he was just lucky to be at the club when the negativity of Souness was lifted.

Allardyce, I was more than happy when he was appointed but now wonder if he's right for us since the club has changed so much in a short space of time.  I think he's trying to turn us into Bolton Mk II instead of trying to go to the next level.  I still have faith that we can do well but I think it could be very ugly football at times, I think some people are expecting far too much from him and they may be left feeling a bit let down, time will tell.

pretty sure he said it when he was unveiled at sjp to the fans, he had a microphone and im almost certain he promised it.

could be wrong though

All I can say is that, for the first time in about 5 years, I'm really, really looking forward to next season. He's shifted most of the shite on and replaced them with better  barely spending a penny in the process. It sounds like he's putting things right behind the scenes and, with a wedge of cash to spend, he's in Barcelona currently trying to strengthen the squad. I'm quietly confident that he knows what needs to be done and he's capable of doing it.

He's talking sense in his interviews and I think he's got his head screwed on. In my opinion we should be targeting the Top 6. That doesn't mean that finishing 7th should be seen as failure or him losing his job. It's more a case of setting high targets and going for it rather - than being delighted over a top-half finish. Can't wait for opening day.  :) 

My expectations will depend on the budget he's given to work with and the freedom he's given to use it.

Assuming he's given a decent wedge of cash (which I think he will be) then I expect a UEFA Cup finish this season. People will say new signings need to adapt etc, but that's why we pay the manager his huge salary, to get one of the highest paid and most expensively assembled squads into a respectable league position. It's not too much to ask and I think he'll do it.

I have to say I was more excited when Bobby Robson came though. I think some people are overrating Allardyce a bit although I hope their faith is justified.

I probably agee with every bit of that.

pretty sure he said it when he was unveiled at sjp to the fans, he had a microphone and im almost certain he promised it.

could be wrong though

I can't remember that and seem to remember his saying that he'd never promised it, again, like you I could be wrong.

All I can say is that, for the first time in about 5 years, I'm really, really looking forward to next season. He's shifted most of the s**** on and replaced them with better  barely spending a penny in the process. It sounds like he's putting things right behind the scenes and, with a wedge of cash to spend, he's in Barcelona currently trying to strengthen the squad. I'm quietly confident that he knows what needs to be done and he's capable of doing it.

He's talking sense in his interviews and I think he's got his head screwed on. In my opinion we should be targeting the Top 6. That doesn't mean that finishing 7th should be seen as failure or him losing his job. It's more a case of setting high targets and going for it rather - than being delighted over a top-half finish. Can't wait for opening day.  :)  

If Roeder can gain 7th then Allardyce should be expected to do better.

All I can say is that, for the first time in about 5 years, I'm really, really looking forward to next season. He's shifted most of the s**** on and replaced them with better  barely spending a penny in the process. It sounds like he's putting things right behind the scenes and, with a wedge of cash to spend, he's in Barcelona currently trying to strengthen the squad. I'm quietly confident that he knows what needs to be done and he's capable of doing it.

If Roeder can gain 7th then Allardyce should be expected to do better.

Totally agree but Roeder's 7th isn't a true reflection of his (non) ability as a manager. As I said, we should target Top 6. Allardyce has inherited a bit of a mess and it may take a while before we're up there competing for Champions League. I'm just saying I'm prepared to give him a it of time to get us up there again and a 'disappointing' 7th or 8th shouldn't mean the sack for him.

Guest samtoonarmy

My expectations of Big sam are actually quite high. What he has done at Bolton on such a limited transfer budget, is really quite amazing. I think he spent something like £12m in total at Bolton on transfers and £8m of that figure was on Anelka alone.

Its amazing how he guided them to qualifying for the UEFA cup. Therefore saying that he will probably have a much higher transfer budget here at Newcastle and if he gets the right players in (which I am confident he will after the signings he has already made) I am sure that next season will be a very good season for Newcastle United and hopefully we can get back into Europe and win a major trophy like the Carling Cup. I think this season is crucial for both Allardyce and Newcastle United. If he doesn't acheive, whcih I don't think he will, he will probably get sacked if we have a mediocre season. Because I think Ashley would want instant success and he would probably be aiming for Europe next season because of the money generated from qualifying for Europe.

I think Big Sam will make an excellent manager for Newcastle United and I really do hope that next season will be a season to remeber!

As high as they've ever been since SBR. Think he's the best manager we've had since then, so that would make sense. Don't expect anything instant, but CL qualification within 2/3 seasons time would be good, and would like to see evidence of rebuilding off the field.

Dalglish, I wanted us to get Sir Bobby and would have preferred to have waited for his contract to expire, I thought we'd do OK under him but become boring.  I was wrong, we became s**** and boring.

Souness, probably the worst manager ever appointed at this club and we've had some s*** in our time.  I was gutted when he got the job, just thinking about it now and it doesn't seem any better.

Good post and I echo your thoughts on Allardyce. I'm happy enough with him, I think he's the 5th best manager in the Premiership, but he's being spared a lot of scrutiny over his signings/targets at the moment because of the takeover and the goodfeeling around the place. His signings thus far have been alright, nowt spectacular, but there's a lot still to be done.

It's not so much his signings or even his performance in the league that I'm interested in. I know, or I believe, that even if he's 'fails' in the league (i.e. we finish mid-table for the next 2-3 seasons) that he will have done a hell of a lot of work behind the scenes that we've all suspected needed a good overhaul. We've been incredibly fortuitous, imo, to have had Allardybe appointed at the same time the club was taken over. Both men seem prepared to give the place the shakedown it needs.

KK - Could hardly believe it when I heard, I was actually in the Bigg market with a mate when the news broke that he'd flown in to sign as a player, so to hear he was coming back as a manager was re-living that experience. Most exciting years as a Newcastle supporter, nothing else comes close.

Dalglish - Surprised, despite his recent successes with Blackburn I had serious misgivings.

Gullit - Thought it sounded good at the time, didn't take long to change my mind.

SBR - Excellent appointment, and his sacking should have been the final curtain for Shepherd too. Though he really needed a troubleshooter alongside him because he was 'old school' and really wouldn't have understood the youth (Dyers et al) of today.

Souness - I felt sick, from the moment I heard. Once again Shepherd proved he hadn't a clue.

Roeder - Utter disbelief, I tried to be optimistic but was sure the bounce back was due to Souness leaving and nothing to do with Roeder.

Big Sam - Best I've felt since the SBR appointment. He has something extra, and whilst it will not surpass the appointment of Keegan for sheer excitement it will surpass SBR in terms of solidity and teamwork. He will also create a backroom scene the likes of something Newcastle have never imagined before. He's still not the answer though, I feel he will be found wanting at the very top level. But Newcastle will be going through many changes for the good over the next season or two.

Shepherds gone  :frantic: at last. It should have happened that he never got back in after the brothel scandal when he revealed his true colours.

The appointment of Allardyce has given me more hope for the success of the team than any since SBR.

The bonus is that Shepherd's power has been stripped from him, and that Sam will be give a real chance to put his thorough methods into action, together with some signings which look 100% improvement than those of the past few years - certainly in value for money.

It now looks as if the Club will have a totally professional approach both on & off the field - something that was even lacking in KKs/SBRs day(KK would not allow any training except 5-a-side, SBR allowed too much licence to players), and once Ashley is satisfied things are going OK, we can expect to see one or two really exciting signings.

However, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will NUFC be, even with Ashley's money..

The appointment of Allardyce has given me more hope for the success of the team than any since SBR.

The bonus is that Shepherd's power has been stripped from him, and that Sam will be give a real chance to put his thorough methods into action, together with some signings which look 100% improvement than those of the past few years - certainly in value for money.

It now looks as if the Club will have a totally professional approach both on & off the field - something that was even lacking in KKs/SBRs day(KK would not allow any training except 5-a-side, SBR allowed too much licence to players), and once Ashley is satisfied things are going OK, we can expect to see one or two really exciting signings.

However, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will NUFC be, even with Ashley's money..

fairly sound assesment of past, present and future there

Guest Phil K

Loved Keegan for what he did for us, and always will - and thank SJH for having the talent to spot talent.

Thought Dalglish used up ALL his bad luck in one season at Newcastle. Genuinely think if Shearer hadn't been injured with that freak pre-season injury we would have done well, and gone on to be succesful under Kenny.

Gullit - still baffled. Clash with Shearer did neither of them or Newcastle any good.

SBR did wonderful, but came here too late, and it didnt help having to deal with immature pillocks like Bellamy, Dyer, Jenas et al. But he WAS showing all the signs of his age the last season and a half, lets be honest.

Souness - what the hell was Shepherd thinking for ****'s sake ???????? The damage that t**t did, and the money he wasted was beyond belief. He will always be remembered (rightly) for Boumsong, which typified his lack of nous with transfers.

Roeder - I thought from the start he would be a disaster, but hoped I'd be wrong. Nice bloke, but not up to the level (not even remotely) needed for a job like this. He would have taken us down if not for some fortunate wins. To me, he was worse than Souness, but luckier, but nowhere near as wasteful or dumb when it came to spotting good players.

Big Sam - for the first time since SBR, I have confidence we will not struggle. I EXPECT top 8, and quite possibly top 6. Silverware ? I'm a Newcastle supporter. I'm used to failure in this, and always get it.

Guest Milburnthedog

At the end of last season I was sick of it all. The whole place was on a low, the season had been awful to watch and the usual 'kick in the teeth' away at AZ when we all expected progression in the UEFA made me feel that the Club, Management and Players didn't really care. There was a losing mentality.

My feelings about Newcastle have been moulded over 30 yrs. Great expectation in 1975 with Supermac despite the FA Cup Final the year before, a loss in the League Cup didnt dent hopes of trophies to come. Things from there spiralled downwards with relegations, the odd promotion, selling off the better players, promises of a new ground, FA Cup (and League Cup defeats) to teams we should never have lost to. Couple that to KK coming, Beardsley, Gazza, Mira, Waddle, Withe and going to away games with many thousands of others. Big signings like Trewick were highlights of some seasons. The Board had no ambition but we all did.

When KK came to manage we were in the crap big style. The ground was decaying, squad poor and the crowds dwindling. A feeling of dispair and a feeling of anger all in one. A resolute fight to ensure our Club was not going to a division we had mocked the mackems for falling in to. A few shrewd signings and a nail biting day at Leicester meant the bandwagon was rolling. John Hall was leading optimism again and the football was the best I'd ever seen here. Sitting in the new Leazes, I likened our play to watching the tide coming in when we attacked our end. We simply pushed teams further and further back until the inevitable goals came. 1996 should have been our year.

The Liverpool and Blackburn games were massive disappointments but the writing was on the wall when Cantona broke many hearts at the Gallowgate End. Our lack of a strategy, not enough money to buy the best defenders and not having any record of success made it feel that we'd never win a thing. I was in Fenwicks toy department when the bloke in front announced that we'd signed Shearer. I thought at that point we'd win the league the next year. It took one game in the Charity Shield to again make me feel that we wouldn't. Ups and downs never end being a Toon fan. That season with Sir Les, Beardsley and the Great Man was tremendous. Cup exits were as usual, disappointing but inevitable. Keegan walking away was devastating.

If at that point Bobby had come, I feel we'd have still been on a (sort of) up. He didn't and we again started a decline losing the two FA Cup Finals (expected really) and semi once Bobby had arrived. Bobby's arrival was another part of the roller coaster but without the back room staff in place, a Board calling our ladies 'dogs' and frequenting brothels, things still weren't right. The Champions League forays were great distractions (who expected we'd win it?) and the Barca, Juve, Kiev and Feyenoord wins were amazing. Still we flattered to deceive and once Bobby went we laboured again. The kick in the teeth, for me , was the Partizan cup exit which seemed the knock all of the stuffing out of the entire place for years.

Up until I left the ground at the last home game of last season that rut was still there. The Board and Manager not anywhere near what we needed. The support was quiet most of the time, expectation very low. Talk of avoiding the drop was more of a discussion than anything else. What a difference the close season has brought us.

A new Board, deadwood being shipped, new players and Big Sam. Optimism reigns once again although we've seen it before and most aren't getting too carried away with the feeling that trophies are due sooner rather than later. But, the feeling is changing. No longer will we be able to blame the backroom boys for fitness and preparation. Sam is sorting this out in a way not seen here, ever. Mike Ashley has control and the cash will come for a shrewd man to spend. Sam is that man, I feel.

The first home game will have a wave of optimism not seen since the 'tide was coing in' ten years ago but this time it 'feels' right. I am happy with whats been done. Without Ashley and Sam I'd be as sick as I was trudging for the Metro following the Blackburn surrender in May. Not any more. The roller coaster is on the up. Howay the Lads.