How are your expectations with Sam Allardyce compared to with previous managers?

Guest niina

I'm very confident that Allardyce will turn things round. He seems very confident about what he's doing, and he seems to be able to attract players to the club, based on his reputation.

I don't think the gap between 5th and 13th is all that great, and Allardyce should be able to bridge that. Breaking into the top four, or turning the top four into a top five, is a different proposition. Allardyce himself has said that would take about 5 years, and I think that's probably right. But yeah, given time, I think he'll achieve it.

Sam Allardyce was the man I wanted here after Robson was forced out. The two subsequent appointments of Souness and Roeder were a disgrace and a damning indictment of Shepherd's judgement. This time though IMO he has got it right for the short term at least.

Yes Allardyce plays direct and functional football, but it's not as basic as some teams who play this style. There's room for flair players in the right areas, i.e. attacking positions. Also Sam is very clear-mionded in what he wants from his teams and that is worth it's weight in gold itself. The forward thinking wrt sports science, staff expertise in various areas, all these point to a thinker and tactician the likes of which he haven't had here in recent memory.

I have no doubt that he will get us into Europe pretty quickly and we will make significant progress next season. The real test will come when he is spending big money to compete at the highest level. When we get there we will look at it then.

Guest trotter58
Yes Allardyce plays direct and functional football, but it's not as basic as some teams who play this style.

Wanna bet?

Yes Allardyce plays direct and functional football, but it's not as basic as some teams who play this style.

Wanna bet?

Is that comment about the first point or second?

Guest trotter58

Wanna bet?

Is that comment about the first point or second?

It's every bit as basic as the phrase 'direct and functional' would suggest.

Trotter58 you should get over losing Sam. He's gone for you and you have so little to look forward to

Not saying it is a remotely similar situation, but that kind of comment just brings back memories of some peoples reaction to the Blackburn fans warnings about Souness. :buck2:

Wanna bet?

Sheffield Utd, Wimbledon of old, Watford...these are just a couple of teams that come to mind that wouldn't have entertained the thought of a Djorkieff or Okocha in their line up, let alone how to utilise them.

Just out of interest, are you looking forward to Little Sammy Lee introducing more cultured, passing football or do you want him to try and follow Big Sam's footsteps?

Guest lebowski

To be honest my expectations weren't as high as clearly some peoples expectations are. However having said that I though BSA's appointment was as good as we could expect in the circumstances. I could see some real value if he was able to introduce some of the disciplines he instigated at Bolton, especially in regards to injury prevention as we were clearly doing something wrong. I was concerned though that while he was a proven operator with a small budget there was no guarantee he could the same with less financial constraints. The other thing that worried me was if he started believing his own press as to being able to manage difficult players. This forum was the only place that thought Barton for Parker was a good move (I'm not saying it isn't but that Barton is a real risk).

What has made me optimistic  is the change to the ownership of the club and had we got rid of FFS altogether I would still be swinging naked from the chandelier singing 22 or 29 Obafemi Martins.

Guest Verlaine

I like him. I do think that too many have very unrealistic expectations encouraged by our new owner though.

I like him. I do think that too many have very unrealistic expectations encouraged by our new owner though.

Just a question.  Do you not think that our new owner (having spent an initial £133M and is now, according to Mort, starting to get rid of the debt) is going to make a really significant difference?

Guest trotter58

Wanna bet?

Sheffield Utd, Wimbledon of old, Watford...these are just a couple of teams that come to mind that wouldn't have entertained the thought of a Djorkieff or Okocha in their line up, let alone how to utilise them.

Just out of interest, are you looking forward to Little Sammy Lee introducing more cultured, passing football or do you want him to try and follow Big Sam's footsteps?

The conudrum with Big Sam is that he buys decent players but then seems incapable of allowing them to play.

Okocha was a shadow of the player he was in his first season with us. It's common knowledge that he was asked to play a more disciplined role and to stop showboating. I can't imagine Harry Redknapp for example giving him instructions like that!

Anelka also suffered under Big Sam. Why buy a player who likes to play on the shoulder of the last defender and then hoof long balls half the length of the pitch to him? Our playing style didn't change to accomodate him.

Sammy Lee has already signalled his intent to switch to a more cultured, passing game and for most BWFC supporters it will be a blessed relief! True, Big Sam's tactics were effective but last season in particular it was truly dreadful to watch.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I think you'll find most here would gladly watch a turd drying if there was a trophy at the end of it

Guest alex

Wanna bet?

The conudrum with Big Sam is that he buys decent players but then seems incapable of allowing them to play.

Okocha was a shadow of the player he was in his first season with us. It's common knowledge that he was asked to play a more disciplined role and to stop showboating. I can't imagine Harry Redknapp for example giving him instructions like that!

Anelka also suffered under Big Sam. Why buy a player who likes to play on the shoulder of the last defender and then hoof long balls half the length of the pitch to him? Our playing style didn't change to accomodate him.

Sammy Lee has already signalled his intent to switch to a more cultured, passing game and for most BWFC supporters it will be a blessed relief! True, Big Sam's tactics were effective but last season in particular it was truly dreadful to watch.

Nice to have a different perspective Trotter, hang around.

Wanna bet?

How do you think Simon Weston will do as your manager out of interest?

Wanna bet?

Sammy Lee has already signalled his intent to switch to a more cultured, passing game and for most BWFC supporters it will be a blessed relief!

Sounds nice. My own view is that with Sam leaving and taking his entourage with him - and his philosophy by the sound of it - Bolton will sink back into obscurity pretty quickly. Playing cultured football makes a good soundbite but usually only the big clubs have the resources to do it effectively. If Bolton end up flirting with relegation under Little Sam's new philosophy, I wonder whether they will look back and think it wasn't so bad after all under Allardyce?

Guest trotter58

Trotter - is it true that Allardyce encouraged his players not to shoot from outside the box?

I'm afraid it is. Big Sam likes his stats and one such statistic told him that players hardly ever score from outside the box, so he introduced a system of fines for various 'offences', one of which was shooting from outside the box!

Trotter - is it true that Allardyce encouraged his players not to shoot from outside the box?

I'm afraid it is. Big Sam likes his stats and one such statistic told him that players hardly ever score from outside the box, so he introduced a system of fines for various 'offences', one of which was shooting from outside the box!

Fuck a duck.

Guest Invicta_Toon

strachan's the same as well

coincidentally another nob-head of a manager admired only by his current club

Guest trotter58

Sounds nice. My own view is that with Sam leaving and taking his entourage with him - and his philosophy by the sound of it - Bolton will sink back into obscurity pretty quickly. Playing cultured football makes a good soundbite but usually only the big clubs have the resources to do it effectively. If Bolton end up flirting with relegation under Little Sam's new philosophy, I wonder whether they will look back and think it wasn't so bad after all under Allardyce?

People are quick to comment that we will struggle now that Big Sam has left, but there was already a suggestion that other teams had sussed out his 'philosophy' long before he left. For example, our form since the turn of the year would have seen us relegated had we not had such a good start.

We already have the players for a passing game, unless of course you think that players like Ivan Campo were taught to hoof the ball half the length of the pitch at Real Madrid! True we may struggle against the 'big' clubs but we won't be playing the top four every week will we?

Guest trotter58

has Kevin Nolan committed himself to Bolton?

Yes but we can only pray that he changes his mind.