How are your expectations with Sam Allardyce compared to with previous managers?

Guest niina

Guest niina

Ok, I know you already expressed your opinion about the appointment of Sam Allardyce in various threads here, but I want to know your feeling/expectation about his appointment compared to other previous managers (I talk about Dalglish, Gullit, Sir Bobby and Souness) - no Roeder, since he only caretaker previously, and no Keegan, since when I first support NUFC he already here and in my opinion he is GOD (mind you, I'm not English, I even never been to Newcastle, I'm Asian who support NUFC purely because of my own choice, I support NUFC since when we were 2nd and 2nd in the league, best moment) so I don't know the buzz around the city when those managers appointed.

SO what I want to ask you is: of course when every new manager was coming (Dalglish, Gullit, Sir Bobby, Souness and now Allardyce), you have your own expectation and hope, or desperate, etc (e.g: I believe he will guide us for top (?) finish, I believe he will bring us trophy at last, I don't think he will be success, I don't have faith in him at all, I believe he will bring us to negative football, etc) - hope you get what I mean  ;)

Where will you place your expectation of Sam Allardyce compared to your expectation of our previous managers states above? Say, is your expectation for Allardyce is lower than your expectation of Dalglish back then (because he guided Blackburn to be English Champion), or Gullit because he is quite successfull in Chelsea, or else).

Just want to know the buzz in the city for the appointment of Allardyce compared to the buzz of the appointment of the previous managers :)

Im expecting from him to be very successful here and my expectations are much higher when Souness was appointed

I never liked him from the start and i knew he was shit.

Feel positive for first appointment since Sir Bobby, definitley renewing my season ticket, and I had seriously , along with many others I suspect, been considering not doing so- such was my apathy/disappointment in the drift in our club over recent seasons.

Next season I expect a much improved league position, would be happy with top 7/8, delighted with anything above that, then kick on and get back to being regular top 5/6 side and then who knows??

If the ruski gets bored at Chelski, when Fergie goes, If Arsenes young uns dont develop we could just could be top 4 again.

Most of all hope to see the back of some of our  so called"superstars" and seeing committed players playing for the club again, with everyone pulling in the same direction.

Plus bye bye some of the shite coaching/back room  mackems.gif staff.

In short a return to a well run, organised professional football team and club. I hope............... :knuppel2:

Its the most optimistic i've ever felt with a managerial appointment at Newcastle. I was too young to remember Keegan being appointed. I thought Dalglish, Gullit and Sir Bobby were good appointments when they came (and Bobby definitely turned out to be a great appointment) but there is a difference here, the main one being that the timing is absolutely spot on. The three managers i mentioned before were all appointed when the season was underway and the previous manager had brought most of the players in they had to work with. Allardyce has got 3 months to restructure the backroom staff setup and the squad and he's got a full pre-season to work with the players. He is also seems to have exactly the right ideas with regards to fitness which has been a major problem to us. We have many problems here at the minute and Allardyce seems to tick all of the boxes when it comes to being able to sort out everything. I don't expect a top 5 finish straight away. A top 8 finish would be fine with me for his first season. The thing with him is i am confident wherever we finish next season, he will build on it for the following season and we will progress.

Kenny D - Really thought he would deliver us the title.

Ruud - Thought it was a strange appointment, but felt he could be a continental Keegan.

SBR - Under estimated the old man, never thought he could turn it around so quickly, but overall, he did what i expected of him.

Souness - Disaster from the start, and insult to SBR to sack him and replace him with this cunt.

GR - Did about what i expected not much.

Sam - I expect him to take us back to the same level as SBR, i'll be happy at that, if he gets us some silverware at the same time then he'll forfill my wishes and hit above what i expected

Ok, I know you already expressed your opinion about the appointment of Sam Allardyce in various threads here, but I want to know your feeling/expectation about his appointment compared to other previous managers (I talk about Dalglish, Gullit, Sir Bobby and Souness) - no Roeder, since he only caretaker previously, and no Keegan, since when I first support NUFC he already here and in my opinion he is GOD (mind you, I'm not English, I even never been to Newcastle, I'm Asian who support NUFC purely because of my own choice, I support NUFC since when we were 2nd and 2nd in the league, best moment) so I don't know the buzz around the city when those managers appointed.

SO what I want to ask you is: of course when every new manager was coming (Dalglish, Gullit, Sir Bobby, Souness and now Allardyce), you have your own expectation and hope, or desperate, etc (e.g: I believe he will guide us for top (?) finish, I believe he will bring us trophy at last, I don't think he will be success, I don't have faith in him at all, I believe he will bring us to negative football, etc) - hope you get what I mean  ;)

Where will you place your expectation of Sam Allardyce compared to your expectation of our previous managers states above? Say, is your expectation for Allardyce is lower than your expectation of Dalglish back then (because he guided Blackburn to be English Champion), or Gullit because he is quite successfull in Chelsea, or else).

Just want to know the buzz in the city for the appointment of Allardyce compared to the buzz of the appointment of the previous managers :)

pervert :undecided:

Guest nufc_geordie

I have no expectations still for next season except for major overhaul both on the playing and non-playing side of things. For next season my benchmark would be no worse than this one. Too many things need to be changed for anyone to expect immediate success. I sispect that some people on here calling for top 8, top 6 are being overly optimistic for next season. As i've said any improvement on this season I would take. The next season I would expect top 10, the season after that top 6. I believe a three year plan to put us back in the top six is sensible then we can kick on from there again. Any faster improvement is a bonus, but from reports this week our club is rotting down to the core and one summer isn't going to fix that.

If he gets us in the top 5 by the end of the 09/10 season then he's been a success for me anyway. There will be people thinking back to when SBR was manager and we were a quality team thinking 5th in the table isn't good enough, but we have to be realistic here. We have a tiny squad. This is a big rebuilding process.

Guest Knightrider

KK - too young to grasp how significant an appointment he was (loved him as a manager though, the man is god to me when it comes to NUFC).

Dalglish - not convinced but not disappointed as his CV was outstanding.

Gullit - excited simply because he wasn't Dalglish but I never really took a keen interest in him or managers in those days.

SBR - best man for the job, worried about his age though and didn't think he'd take us as high as he went on to take us, very happy with his appointment though in a non the future's bright, the future's black and white way.

Souness - disgusted.

Roeder - massively disappointed.

Big Sam - over the moon, wanted him for a while and rate him as the best British manager and with the potential to be as good as your Rafas and maybe even Mourinho, although I doubt he'll achieve the same level of success those two have and will no doubt. I'm more optimistic about the future than I have ever been, certainly under this board.

I would say as a bench mark I would like to aim for higher than boro (lost that 10 pund bet btw to the boro fan) and the mackems. I think that would lead my thinking towards a top 10 finish, if the right players come in and sam can get them to gell maybe squeeze a uefa place or intertoto, but a top half finish would not disappoint me. If he can "do a bolton" to coin a phrase and keep building season to season no mega summer over hauls which we seem to always be talking about and just tweak or replace players we loose I can see us building into something big, I wanna give him a few seasons I'm hoping by his contract end he will have us back into pushing the top 5 and getting results against the bigger "we are automatically going to loose these ones" teams.

Guest zicobones

gonna be hard for you to get into the top 4 i would give you 3 or 4 years before your challenging us for 3rd spot  ;D

Makes a change going into a new season with a new manager, when was the last time that happend?

Technically, I think it must have been 1985, when McFaul was appointed after Jackie Charlton stomped off in a huff during pre-season.

Guest posadageordie

Makes a change going into a new season with a new manager, when was the last time that happend?

Technically, I think it must have been 1985, when McFaul was appointed after Jackie Charlton stomped off in a huff during pre-season.

One week before the season started, v Sheff Utd at home.

For the first time since SBR, I think the fans are positive and that'll be a huge boost for Sam and the players, imo. When Souness came, it was obvious none of the fans wanted him (6th choice candidate and all that), and people were equally wary about Roeder. I have high hopes, tempered by the knowledge that we're still talking about Newcastle United here.

More expectation than for any of the previous 3 - SBR did better than I thought he would, as he was manager longer than I expected him to be.

Allardyce has a good 5-10 years to make NUFC a real CLUB, not a collection of overpaid misfits.

His record of doing the same at Bolton is beyond question - the only thing he hasn't done there is to have a big budget, or be expected to sign top-quality players.

Nevertheless, this is going to be a long haul - we MIGHT get a pleasant surprise, and see the club qualifying for the CL within 3 years, but its a big ask. There is a huge amount of damage to repair, both on the field, and with fans/players' morale so miracles can not be expected.

If we finish in the top 6 and get a decent Cup run next year(NOT a humiliating exit like the 2005 Semi with Man ure..),then Sam will have done fantastically well.

Top 10 would be acceptable, anything less a cause for concern, but no-one should underestimate the size of his task, and how long it will take to get everyone at the Club pulling in the same direction.

I just hope Shepherd has learnt his lesson - any interference in transfers etc would be catastrophic - heaven help the Club if Allardyce walks out, as there would be nowhere else to turn......

I wish him every success in one of the most difficult jobs in the game, but one that COULD make his name

for all time if he succeeds.

Guest Knightrider

I think Big Sam is the best manager we've appointed since I've been a fan in terms of ability and personal skills, without a doubt. Whether he goes onto become our best manager who knows, I'm confident he'll be somehwere between SBR and KK given time.

Indeed he is a tacticaly clued up, dispassionate version of KK who unlike KK though, considers the long-term just as important as the short-term. That's not a dig at KK BTW who is and always will be a god in my eyes and will never be displaced as such regardless of what anyone does here.

I expected us to be about 9th next season under SA. However,  in his first week, he has allowed the release of 5 players who were nothing but a drain on us, so he's got nothing wrong.

I think that, with the right signings, and getting rid of the likes of Ameobi etc, we might scrape into the 7th spot for UEFA.

Guest Knightrider

I expected us to be about 9th next season under SA. However,  in his first week, he has allowed the release of 5 players who were nothing but a drain on us, so he's got nothing wrong.

I think that, with the right signings, and getting rid of the likes of Ameobi etc, we might scrape into the 7th spot for UEFA.

Fuck me, I may print this off and frame it. Wullie optimistic and now you... we ganna win the league noo lyke ;)

Guest Big Spam

I find it strange personally.

Before we got him in I was indifferent to him as a manager.

But since ever since i've been reading all the reports looking at his stats and now i'm really excited, by the way he talks about how he likes to manage..

When the other managers came in i.e. Dalgleish Gullit etc. came in we kind of new more about them at the top of the league with Blackburn, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

Because Sam came from Bolton you din't here much about his style apart from the long ball stuff..

I'm almost wetting myself thinking how he could hopefully make players that are (as we have) good on paper, fullfill their potential...

Come on Big Spam!

Guest Geordie_krispy

My first football memories are the Jim Smith tea cup throwing era of newcastle, then Ossie Ardiles being manager.

I remember KK being appointed, being heralded as a golden child returning to drag newcastle back to the level the board thought they should be, and he did!  I was gutted when he ran out on us, it seemed to my young eyes that it was a complete bottle job, but that's just my view.

I remember wanting SBR to take ove, and him being on the news saying he was going to honour his contract at PSV (i think) then buggering off to Portugal after we'd appointed Dalglish, but thinking that he had the ability and know-how to keep us up at that level.

Gullit was a bit out of left field, but he was a pretty obvious appointment looking back at it, a complete opposite of Dalglish in terms of style of play he'd been using at chelsea, but didn't he inherit that team from vialli (or was it the other way around?).  When he fell out with Shearer you know he was gone as soon as that full time whistle had blown, maybe he was gone before the kick off?

SBR, thought we'd finally got our man, and we had, nearly.  Just a shame he lost it a bit at the end, he couldv'e done with a good assistant to help him, just think if we'd got him when KK left we could've had Jose as his assistant.  He should've been moved upstairs during the summer rather than the embarisment that happened at the start of the season.

Souness, wtf was he thinking?

Roeder, was the easy option, i think freddy had tried and failed to get other people in, big sam etc, so that was the main reason for Roeder's change in wanting the job.

Big Sam; I just hope he's given the time to get the club sorted from top to bottom, and let it settle, he needs the initial 3 years in it's entirety just to set it up and get everyone used to it and then some more to make it work for us.  I'm hoping for european place or there abouts, a decent cup run wouldn't go a-miss either.

Guest Knightrider

The reason many were indifferent or still are to Big Sam is because they just see him as this big former smb playing long ball merchant, he will educate them in the coming years and with it NUFC on how to run a football club. The best way to get an idea about a manager in my opinion is to look at their personal skillsets and their ideas on the game, do they understand football? Anyone can spot the obvious and say the right things, i.e. talk a good game but even when Souness and Roeder were talking a good game, you still got the impression it was lip service, with Big Sam it's knowledge, insight and understanding. Having managed in all the leagues and now in Europe (albeit breifly), he's managed to acquire an understanding of the game many just don't have and never will. This is why I've championed him for years now and am today, as happy as pig in shit.

I think he could be our best ever appointment and become to NUFC what Fergy is to ManU.

On the down side, if he walks out at some stage for political reasons within the club, I think there would be no way back and a tumble down the divisions would be a very real possibility.