nufc.com

lovejoy

Quite right, loads of hypocrisy on here. Its ok to take the piss out of a disabled person but not ok to take the piss out of someone's origins/background. Both equally offensive. No consistency.

I agree btw, just thought it was a good spot by TPIB.

But someone can't choose not to be black whereas disabled people are that way because of sins in a former life.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/includes/CP_stories/60/60659.jpg

Quite right, loads of hypocrisy on here. Its ok to take the piss out of a disabled person but not ok to take the piss out of someone's origins/background. Both equally offensive. No consistency.

I agree btw, just thought it was a good spot by TPIB.

I've been making the hypocrisy point in the GC thread. It was well pointed out by TPIB. People even take the piss out of Islam in other contexts and apparently thats fine too. As long as its not in a football ground apparently.

Dont think anyone on here thinks the chants are right or they should been said, what seems to be pissing everyone off it the fact that the media coverage is so two faced on this, and the guardian in particular want to portray all toon fans as arab hating racists.

The Paedo one was shite and old hat, but i think the shoe bomber one was fucking hilarious and it was actually Private Eye Magazine who pointed out the resemblance between Mido and Richard Reid the Shoe Bomber which is where the chants come from.

Fuck all to do with him being an Arab, a Moslem, a bit on the dark side, Egyptian or whatever.

I think the right on PC brigade want to get themselves a life and accept that a bit of piss taking and banter always have been and should always still be part and parcel of football chanting/wind ups.

Dont think anyone on here thinks the chants are right or they should been said, what seems to be pissing everyone off it the fact that the media coverage is so two faced on this, and the guardian in particular want to portray all toon fans as arab hating racists.

The Paedo one was s**** and old hat, but i think the shoe bomber one was f****** hilarious and it was actually Private Eye Magazine who pointed out the resemblance between Mido and Richard Reid the Shoe Bomber which is where the chants come from.

f*** all to do with him being an Arab, a Moslem, a bit on the dark side, Egyptian or whatever.

I think the right on PC brigade want to get themselves a life and accept that a bit of piss taking and banter always have been and should always still be part and parcel of football chanting/wind ups.

Utter rubbish, polite clapping only at breaks in play is the way forward, that and pointing and laughing at disabled people obviously

But someone can't choose not to be black whereas disabled people are that way because of sins in a former life.

:lol:

A flipant comment, but it does lead into the question that is it ok to pursecute over a choice in life?

For example we all choose to be Newcastle fans, would it be acceptable for a slur to be made on us based on this fact or (for example) turned down for a job because of it (similar way to the way that employers are beginning to search for My Space entries etc on candidates).

However we can't help that we were fortunate enough to be born Geordies (or other), is it then acceptable for the same slurs/rejections?

If you agree that it is acceptable in the first instance (i.e supporting the Toon) then does it then follow that religion is fair game as that too is a choice.

I'm sure someone can answer this, I guess there must be some form of acceptable boundary somewhere!

A flipant comment, but it does lead into the question that is it ok to pursecute over a choice in life?

For example we all choose to be Newcastle fans, would it be acceptable for a slur to be made on us based on this fact or (for example) turned down for a job because of it (similar way to the way that employers are beginning to search for My Space entries etc on candidates).

However we can't help that we were fortunate enough to be born Geordies (or other), is it then acceptable for the same slurs/rejections?

If you agree that it is acceptable in the first instance (i.e supporting the Toon) then does it then follow that religion is fair game as that too is a choice.

I'm sure someone can answer this, I guess there must be some form of acceptable boundary somewhere!

Fucking hell! :lol:

What's happened to this forum? We've gone all Philosophical :lol:

f****** hell! :lol:

What's happened to this forum? We've gone all Philosophical :lol:

Perhaps should have gone in the GC thread but ho hum

Ban The Brown Ale-Addled Geordies - Jeff Winter

Posted 29/08/07 13:08EmailPrintSave

I don't know if you noticed the lack of coaches, vans and cars from Tyneside last Sunday, but instead a blue tardis parked behind the South Stand.

Yes, those Geordies all traveled Dr Who style to the Riverside. The thinking is that those 'magnificent' fans, weary of 40 trophyless years, have decided to travel back in time to the glory years when the FA Cup came to Tyneside and they were a really big club.

This was their first trip and as you would expect there were some teething troubles. In travelling back they inherited some of the problems of those earlier years, you know, like racist behaviour and other childish goings-on.

Remember when you were about six and you used to run around the schoolyard calling people names, usually in rhymes; well it was easy if the names were Bell which rhymed with Smell or Bob that rhymed with Knob but sometimes it was more difficult, for example Mido. That would really test even the most stupid Brown Ale-addled Geordie.

In those days Newcastle had a worse reputation than most when it came to black players. I even recall the Geordie faithful giving their own black players stick and it seemed for a time that they did not want to sign players who had the same skin colour as half of their famous striped shirts.

Thankfully, times have moved on now. We live in a multi-racial society where every colour and creed display their skills in the Premiership, but not for the space-travelling Geordies. Their behaviour on Sunday at once dispelled the myth that they are the loveable army but instead put them near the bottom of the 'Scumbag' fans league table. They are now on a par with those who sing about 'ice on runways' and the like.

Now don't get me wrong as not all fans from Newcastle are like this. They are loyal and deserving of more success, but 3,000 is not a small minority. Did the decent folk amongst the travelling support shout down the idiots who started their practised vitriol? Guilty by association then, I am afraid.

It will be very interesting to see what happens next. The silence from St James' is deafening. What action will the FA take? None probably.

A question for the Geordie dickheads. With Muslims like Emre in your side and with Big Sam's reputation for signing all colours and creeds, do you think players will want to come to a club whose supporters behave like this?

I have previously supported the call to give Newcastle fans the whole South Stand, sell the tickets and have a better atmosphere. It's not like we can sell them ourselves. But now; well perhaps next season we should ban the travelling support altogether? Let them take their tardis back into the dark ages where they belong.

This article first appeared on www. boronation.com and you can read more Jeff Winter at www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk

Jesus f****** Christ

Ban The Brown Ale-Addled Geordies - Jeff Winter

Posted 29/08/07 13:08EmailPrintSave

I don't know if you noticed the lack of coaches, vans and cars from Tyneside last Sunday, but instead a blue tardis parked behind the South Stand.

Yes, those Geordies all traveled Dr Who style to the Riverside. The thinking is that those 'magnificent' fans, weary of 40 trophyless years, have decided to travel back in time to the glory years when the FA Cup came to Tyneside and they were a really big club.

This was their first trip and as you would expect there were some teething troubles. In travelling back they inherited some of the problems of those earlier years, you know, like racist behaviour and other childish goings-on.

Remember when you were about six and you used to run around the schoolyard calling people names, usually in rhymes; well it was easy if the names were Bell which rhymed with Smell or Bob that rhymed with Knob but sometimes it was more difficult, for example Mido. That would really test even the most stupid Brown Ale-addled Geordie.

In those days Newcastle had a worse reputation than most when it came to black players. I even recall the Geordie faithful giving their own black players stick and it seemed for a time that they did not want to sign players who had the same skin colour as half of their famous striped shirts.

Thankfully, times have moved on now. We live in a multi-racial society where every colour and creed display their skills in the Premiership, but not for the space-travelling Geordies. Their behaviour on Sunday at once dispelled the myth that they are the loveable army but instead put them near the bottom of the 'Scumbag' fans league table. They are now on a par with those who sing about 'ice on runways' and the like.

Now don't get me wrong as not all fans from Newcastle are like this. They are loyal and deserving of more success, but 3,000 is not a small minority. Did the decent folk amongst the travelling support shout down the idiots who started their practised vitriol? Guilty by association then, I am afraid.

It will be very interesting to see what happens next. The silence from St James' is deafening. What action will the FA take? None probably.

A question for the Geordie dickheads. With Muslims like Emre in your side and with Big Sam's reputation for signing all colours and creeds, do you think players will want to come to a club whose supporters behave like this?

I have previously supported the call to give Newcastle fans the whole South Stand, sell the tickets and have a better atmosphere. It's not like we can sell them ourselves. But now; well perhaps next season we should ban the travelling support altogether? Let them take their tardis back into the dark ages where they belong.

This article first appeared on www. boronation.com and you can read more Jeff Winter at www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk

Jesus f****** Christ

Wow, the "snow" in Middlesbrough can really cause severe brain damage. Hypothermia?

Can someone who went to the game on Sunday and wasn't involved in the chanting please sue the perma tanned one for slander/libel whatever

I'm all for free speach, but when its such an ill informed piece of crap then action needs to be taken as many people will read this and accept it as fact.

3,000 fans were not racially abusing Mido. A couple of hundred were

The rights and wrongs of the chants is irrelevant here, each fan who went on Sunday is now branded a racist in the media. That is wrong

Can someone who went to the game on Sunday and wasn't involved in the chanting please sue the perma tanned one for slander/libel whatever

I'm all for free speach, but when its such an ill informed piece of crap then action needs to be taken as many people will read this and accept it as fact.

The rights and wrongs of the chants is irrelevant here, each fan who went on Sunday is now branded a racist in the media. That is wrong

I believe even that is not proven

Yes, it's absolutely true that the word "mong" is offensive and objectionable. Funny how so many people are quick to point that out, while busily making excuses for Sunday's chanting.

However, as I pointed out on the thread that's now over in chat, the problem of racism (and similar attitudes) is not simply about causing offence. Me calling Niall and Biffa "mongs" is different.

Does it insult "mongs" by suggesting they are just like people who run a website for Newcastle fans? Are Geordies commonly held to be "mongs" in the way Jews are supposed to tight-fisted, blacks are meant to be lazy, the Irish are supposed to be stupid, and Muslims are supposed to be terrorists?

It's offensive to people with Down's Syndrome, of course. Lucky I didn't chant it at the match, and then make excuses about it afterwards.

He says we're guilty by association. I say he's a fat cheat who should have been kicked out of football for good in February 2002.

"Did we shout them down" ffs. First of all, how would he even know that people didn't? And secondly, has he ever been to a football match in which he was in the crowd rather than trying to be the centre of attention in the middle of the park? If he has, he'd know it's not quite that easy. Wanker.

Youre right there. I would point out that we did have an very poor reputation, as Winter states. We have come a long way since the days when we bananas were chucked at Alex Williams and it was fashionable to call players nignogs and spades. Of course not all fans chant that shite. Just as not every Spaniard will make monkey noises at International games.

The point about the time-warp is correct though.

Yes, it's absolutely true that the word "mong" is offensive and objectionable. Funny how so many people are quick to point that out, while busily making excuses for Sunday's chanting.

However, as I pointed out on the thread that's now over in chat, the problem of racism (and similar attitudes) is not simply about causing offence. Me calling Niall and Biffa "mongs" is different.

Does it insult "mongs" by suggesting they are just like people who run a website for Newcastle fans? Are Geordies commonly held to be "mongs" in the way Jews are supposed to tight-fisted, blacks are meant to be lazy, the Irish are supposed to be stupid, and Muslims are supposed to be terrorists?

It's offensive to people with Down's Syndrome, of course. Lucky I didn't chant it at the match, and then make excuses about it afterwards.

I'm not making excuses, i'm pointing out the hypocrisy and double standards. Much like being preached to by a Boro fan about racism.

Not sure this is the point but calling all geordies 'mongs' implies they are all mentally disabled and is both offensive to disabled people and geordies. Is it ok to be offensive to disabled people?

And as i pointed back to you in GC none of my arguments centred around the concept of mere offence. 

Of course it is  :rolleyes:

I can't believe how much this has been blown out of proportion by the "right on" brigade.

Ok, its not right but for fucks sake let's have a bit of common sense about this EVERY club has it's share of knobheads, that's life.

The likes of knobjockey Winter and the Guardian writers will always try and latch on to a story of this sort and bring all kinds of moral hypocrisy to the table.

The fact is that it wouldn't matter to some people what was said, all they want is their faces/words on/in the TV/papers to further their so called careers. These type of people are the worst hypocrites in the world, they don't give a fuck about any of the things that were said.

Guest johnson293

I can't believe how much this has been blown out of proportion by the "right on" brigade.

Ok, its not right but for fucks sake let's have a bit of common sense about this EVERY club has it's share of knobheads, that's life.

The likes of knobjockey Winter and the Guardian writers will always try and latch on to a story of this sort and bring all kinds of moral hypocrisy to the table.

The fact is that it wouldn't matter to some people what was said, all they want is their faces/words on/in the TV/papers to further their so called careers. These type of people are the worst hypocrites in the world, they don't give a f*** about any of the things that were said.

Well Said!!