nufc.com

lovejoy

Quite sad, isn't it? The standard of journalism in this country. I thought the chants were bad crack but what is ten times worse is the way the 'facts' are manipulated by the media in order to whip up a frenzy. You only notice when it happens to you but it clearly goes on all the time. A good story is far more important than the truth. Even with supposedly respectable media outlets like the Beeb.

It's not just this country, it's a worldwide phenomenon. Finding a paper that sticks to impartiality and the truth is a rare event in the current climate. Got so bad that an awful lot of people are having difficulty in recognising the truth when they see it.

I used to occasionally buy the Guardian as it happens. Mainly on a Saturday. A good few years ago I stopped because the football coverage is fucking appalling, it really is. So much of it comes from the point of view of trying to be clever and humourous and, with the odd notable exception like James Richardson (always worth a read) it fails miserably.

Maybe we can ask the Liverpool fans to give us advice on organising media boycotts?

You get your star player to sell an exclusive serialisation of his autobigraphy to them. Simple

I loved that like. "Never buy The Sun". Then Gerrard serialises his book in The News of the World.

Guest thenorthumbrian

The lads at NUFC.COM are right on this one.

The chants from the Newcastle fans were daft rather than malicous, I've heard a lot worse in the past from our lot.

The problem with this is that it gives what is an overwhelmingly London based media in this country a chance to portray the North East people as a bunch of ignorant & racist hillbillies.

Anything to stick the boot in.

Our fans are no worse than a lot of fans of other clubs but step over the line (even marginally) and they come down on us like a ton of bricks.

An FA spokesman said last night: "We are very much in favour of banning orders being imposed on anyone identified as engaging in racist behaviour in football. The FA will obviously work with the police on all football disorder related matters."

And what about the spurs fans who constantly use the word Yid? Or the Chelsea/Arsenal fans who sing the songs about 'Tottenham ons on their way to auschwitz.....'

The lads at NUFC.COM are right on this one.

The chants from the Newcastle fans were daft rather than malicous, I've heard a lot worse in the past from our lot.

The problem with this is that it gives what is an overwhelmingly London based media in this country a chance to portray the North East people as a bunch of ignorant & racist hillbillies.

Anything to stick the boot in.

Our fans are no worse than a lot of fans of other clubs but step over the line (even marginally) and they come down on us like a ton of bricks.

They were daft rather than malicious. However, if we want to avoid the hillbilly tag then it's better not to sing racist songs tbh

I generally agree with NUFC.COM. On this one I think they are 'wide of the mark'

An FA spokesman said last night: "We are very much in favour of banning orders being imposed on anyone identified as engaging in racist behaviour in football. The FA will obviously work with the police on all football disorder related matters."

And what about the spurs fans who constantly use the word Yid? Or the Chelsea/Arsenal fans who sing the songs about 'Tottenham ons on their way to auschwitz.....'

Again, neither are right. Nor particularly tasteful. One, however, does not discount the fact that the other did it. Treat them in isolation and the fans just come across as inbred morons.

Dont think anyone on here thinks the chants are right or they should been said, what seems to be pissing everyone off it the fact that the media coverage is so two faced on this, and the guardian in particular want to portray all toon fans as arab hating racists.

Again, neither are right. Nor particularly tasteful. One, however, does not discount the fact that the other did it. Treat them in isolation and the fans just come across as inbred morons.

My point is that these songs are sang on a much more regular basis by a large number of fans, rather than the 200 who sang the terrorist songs. The small element that joined in the other day are in the wrong, but why is it always that newcastle (as usual) are the ones that are singled out?

Guest johnson293
They were daft rather than malicious. However, if we want to avoid the hillbilly tag then it's better not to sing racist songs tbh

I generally agree with NUFC.COM. On this one I think they are 'wide of the mark'

They weren't racist - Islam is not a race - its a religion.

You can have people from any Race, colour or Country convert to Islam - Singer Cat Stevns for example - a white English bloke, born in London - but now called Yusuf Islam and converted to Islam.

Comments against him wouldn't be racist, as he isn't of different race - he just follows a different religion.

I say again - the comments towards Mido weren't about the colour of his skin, or anything to do with the country he is from - it was about the religion he follows, which is constantly responsible for many terrorist acts - hence the 'bomb' and 'explode' songs - NOTHING about skin colour or race.

As it goes, I think the Mido chants were a late follow-up to chants towards him from West Ham fans, when with longer hair and a goatie beard, he actually looked a lot like the convicted 'Shoe Bomber'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1731568.stm

Dont think anyone on here thinks the chants are right or they should been said, what seems to be pissing everyone off it the fact that the media coverage is so two faced on this, and the guardian in particular want to portray all toon fans as arab hating racists.

Believe me, some do.Some are a little ill-advised on how to assess race and ethnicity. Other's simply say it's 'banter'. Whichever way, it's an attempt to condone it.

Well, of course not all fans are Arab hating racists. Some are though, that is fairly clear. Once there are none, we have nothing to worry about. Agree that the media may wish to portray it that way but it's for us to get our own house in order rather than worry about what they think. If that means educating the dullards then so be it.

You can have people from any Race, colour or Country convert to Islam - Singer Cat Stevns for example - a white English bloke, born in London - but now called Yusuf Islam and converted to Islam.

Comments against him wouldn't be racist, as he isn't of different race - he just follows a different religion.

I say again - the comments towards Mido weren't about the colour of his skin, or anything to do with the country he is from - it was about the religion he follows, which is constantly responsible for many terrorist acts - hence the 'bomb' and 'explode' songs - NOTHING about skin colour or race.

As it goes, I think the Mido chants were a late follow-up to chants towards him from West Ham fans, when with longer hair and a goatie beard, he actually looked a lot like the convicted 'Shoe Bomber'.

Look up the UN convention on racism. It encompasses the things you claim it doesn't. Who is right? You or them? I can see why you say it but you're wrong.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Agreed we need to be aware of what will be made of stuff like this by the London (and local) media who want stick the knife in.

Pie is right, there are loads of songs to sing without going down this route.

Christ, mate. You might want to stop before you really start looking like an idiot.

Believe me, some do.Some are a little ill-advised on how to assess race and ethnicity. Other's simply say it's 'banter'. Whichever way, it's an attempt to condone it.

Well, of course not all fans are Arab hating racists. Some are though, that is fairly clear. Once there are none, we have nothing to worry about. Agree that the media may wish to portray it that way but it's for us to get our own house in order rather than worry about what they think. If that means educating the dullards then so be it.

Correct.

Both the excuses being trotted out for this dodgy chanting, and the atmosphere of whining victimhood in which they are being made, are pathetic.

Shame that Niall and Biffa are such mongs when it comes to this issue.

Can some one point out where NUFC.com agree with the chants, they have commented on the OTT media coverage which make sit look like the 3,000 away fans where signing songs about mido from the kick off.

Correct.

Both the excuses being trotted out for this dodgy chanting, and the atmosphere of whining victimhood in which they are being made, are pathetic.

Offensive and shamefull double standards !!!!!!!!!!!

Can some one point out where NUFC.com agree with the chants, they have commented on the OTT media coverage which make sit look like the 3,000 away fans where signing songs about mido from the kick off.

It's their inability to see that calling an Arab Muslim a terrorist may well be construed as racism. Patently it is. They, however, seem to think it's just banter. Think they are right in getting shirty about how people are portraying the masses, but very wrong on going down the path of the likening dog fucking to racism. Both wrong, of course, but they don't really have the same weight.

Correct.

Indeed, I taught a kid with Downs Syndrome and he was quite happy having a wank under the desk ("but it feels nice") and not get involved in current affairs. Maybe that is the way forward.

Correct.

:laugh:

Quite right, loads of hypocrisy on here. Its ok to take the piss out of a disabled person but not ok to take the piss out of someone's origins/background. Both equally offensive. No consistency.

Don't forget paedo's