nufc.com

lovejoy

nufc.com aren't trying to down Bobby and what he did in any way.

What they are trying to say is while Sir Bobby was a fantastic manager, his highlights were at other clubs (Barcelona, PSV, Ipswich). If you put all his achievements in order, what he did at the Toon wouldn't be in the top three.

To Bobby they might be though, personal attachment and all that.

Not a factor in the naming of a stand however

Yes, he saved us from going down

Yes, it would have been great had he replaced Keegan (but he turned us down remember)

Yes, its terrible the guy has cancer

Yes, ist true he wanted to sell Shearer (discuss)

Yes, he's a canny, but self-promoting bloke

No, he was not our most successful manager......

Yes, he saved us from going down

Yes, it would have been great had he replaced Keegan (but he turned us down remember)

Yes, its terrible the guy has cancer

Yes, ist true he wanted to sell Shearer (discuss)

Yes, he's a canny, but self-promoting bloke

No, he was not our most successful manager......

Hi, Niffa.

I totally agree that ther are a few others ahead of him in the queue for a stand to be named after them. I'm thankful for what he did for us, bring back the pride, but as nufc.com rightly point out his bigger achievements in the game were at other clubs.

I wasn't at the Wolves game, although I did share the frustration that day. I was angry at the way the season ended and obviously I wasn't the only one. But it's like a relationship, I get angry at my wife sometimes and she gets angry at me but we still love each other. Just because you were unhappy with one aspect of SBR's time with us doesn't mean you don't respect the man and are thankful for the work he had done.

Guest elbee909

Alan Smith's bigger achievements were at other clubs, yet we're apparently meant to cheer on his shite performances according to nufc.com

Nufc.com were at the forefront of the cheerleaders who wanted Bobby out.

Months after his departure they were still having digs at him on their website.

I really wouldn't expect them to do a full U turn over this matter, tho directing flak against those who left the wolves game (which they fully understood at the time) is a bit hypocritical.

A good site - but total wankers when it comes to Sir Bobby

Guest Geordiesned

I really wouldn't expect them to do a full U turn over this matter, tho directing flak against those who left the wolves game (which they fully understood at the time) is a bit hypocritical.

They're only directing flak at those who left the Wolves game and who are now calling for a stand to be named after Sir Bobby.

They're only directing flak at those who left the Wolves game and who are now calling for a stand to be named after Sir Bobby.

They are only directing flak against those they encouraged to show their displeasure at Bobby's team Niall

They are only directing flak against those they encouraged to show their displeasure at Bobby's team Niall

Don't think you can blame fans for that. We finished 5th but it was underachievement at the time. The most ardent of Robson supporters would admit that I would have thought. Doesn't mean they think he's not a legend for what happened the 2 years before that.

Don't think you can blame fans for that. We finished 5th but it was underachievement at the time. The most ardent of Robson supporters would admit that I would have thought. Doesn't mean they think he's not a legend for what happened the 2 years before that.

5th was an over achievement for a team that had not had a single penny invested in them for over a year.

5th was an over achievement for a team that had not had a single penny invested in them for over a year.

Absolute b*llocks. Name one side who finished below us that season who should have finished above the side who finished 3rd just 12 months earlier. By that reckoning, Man Utd finishing 3rd this season would be an overachievement since they've signed nobody, yet Chelsea, Liverpool & Spurs in particular have strengthened.

Absolute b*llocks. Name one side who finished below us that season who should have finished above the side who finished 3rd just 12 months earlier. By that reckoning, Man Utd finishing 3rd this season would be an overachievement since they've signed nobody, yet Chelsea, Liverpool & Spurs in particular have strengthened.

The name you're after is Liverpool. They invested £14.5 million in their team buying Le Tellec, Finna, Pongelle and Kewell while we never spent a penny.

As for Man Utd have you forgotten they signed Tevez, Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson for last season.? If that's nobody it still cost them £50 million to sign them. It's not Fergies best squad (in his opinion) for nothing.

If you're referring to this forthcoming season I'll just say the transfer window closes in 3 weeks so we'll see who has invested what then.

Guest BooBoo

Bobby had a cracking time with us but at Villa away, his last game in charge. everyone leaving the ground knew he'd lost it completely and should have gone in the summer.

Very true. Its very easy at this time, due to SBRs sad ill health, to become clouded by sentiment. He had two very good seasons for us (i would say the season we finished 4th was probably my best ever time as a Toon fan and thats going back to 86). Before those two seasons, it took him a while to steady the ship and his last season was a relative disappointment after what had come before.

He was a good manager for us, but lets not overhype his achievements due to circumstances. What he achieved at other clubs, far outweighed what he did at St James'

Just to log my agreement with Niall and Biffa on the stand-naming issue.

Bobby was a great man and a loveable man, a good enough manager to have us overachieving for a handful of seasons at the end of his career. But even if he'd never spent that time with us, his reputation was already made through his achievements at Ipswich and other clubs, and as manager of England. A stand bearing his name would make sense at Ipswich, but not at SJP, and we shouldn't let sentiment about his apparently imminent demise obscure that fact.

Joe Harvey -- our longest-serving captain as a player, and our longest-serving manager by some distance, took us to consecutive FA Cup victories (1951, 1952) as captain, got us into Europe for the first time as manager and won the Fairs Cup on the first attempt. I'd be happy with a Joe Harvey Stand.

Bobby had a cracking time with us but at Villa away, his last game in charge. everyone leaving the ground knew he'd lost it completely and should have gone in the summer.

I left the ground thinking the refereee was a wanker for not sending off Sorensen when the score was 2-1

It wasn't just finishing 5th, but also the hang over of the humiliating Partizan Belgrade defeat, the Marseille surrender and the measily 2 away games won all season. In context it was definitely a bad season as if you wanna be amongst the top clubs you have to have standards.

I left the ground thinking the refereee was a w***** for not sending off Sorensen when the score was 2-1

And I wasn't alone in thinking that
Aston Villa vs.Newcastle United

Post-match analysis of Saturday's game between Aston Villa and Newcastle United at Villa Park.

The best match of the day was covered in controversy as Newcastle manager Bobby Robson left out club captain Alan Shearer, and referee Mike Riley failed to send off Villa-keeper Thomas Sorenson, after he handled the ball outside the area.

Set pieces have become a bit of a specialty for Villa this season as Olof Melberg headed home against West Bromwich Albion last week and repeated this only four minutes into the first-half. Not really the start that Robson would have wanted for his team, but the ace up his sleeve was Patrick Kluivert. His movement acted like a magnet for Villa's central defenders, giving Lee Bowyer the space and opportunity to get into the danger area.

In fact, it was Kluivert's 28th minute strike that relaxed the Newcastle team into their best spell of play this season. Capitalising on a shaped ball from Nicky Butt, the Dutchman fended off Mark Delaney's attempts to subjugate him and swivel-kicked the ball past Sorenson's left. This sprang the Newcastle team to life and Kluivert had an opportunity to score his second of match; turning and firing a snapshot, which this time Sorenson saved. From the resulting corner, Andy O'Brien snuck in at the near post and headed home to give Newcastle the lead.

At the other end ex-Newcastle player, Nolberto Solano, hit the bar after Carlton Cole had headed the ball across the six-yard box. He was unlucky not to score against his old team and Newcastle goal-keeper Shay Given can thank his lucky stars that Solano found the woodwork, as he was stranded due to his own impetuousness to deal with the cross.

Newcastle retained their lead into the second-half, but could do nothing about the equaliser. Grabbing the ball from the feet of Lee Bowyer, Jlloyd Samuel laid a nice ball square into Gareth Barry, whose shot forced Given to palm the ball upwards and Carlton Cole to chest the ball into the net from inside the six-yard box.

The next moment of intrigue came when a ball over the top of the Villa defence brought Sorenson out of his goal, to meet the speeding Craig Bellamy, and he handled outside the box. Bellamy demanded a red card for the Danish keeper, as did an irate Bobby Robson on the touchline, but referee Riley indicated that it was not a goal scoring opportunity and so raised a yellow card. Replays showed that the two defenders, who according to Riley would have stopped the goal scoring opportunity, had been behind the line of the ball and so the card should have been red.

Anyway, Villa were not phased and after substituting goal-scorer, Cole, for the angelic Angel, they took the lead. Using the space left by an injured Barnard, Solano sped down the right-wing and crossed to find Gareth Barry in light-years of space for the headed finish. The young Villa player is growing in confidence under David O'Leary's leadership, and scoring goals can only help Barry's chances of making a breakthrough into the England squad for next weeks World Cup qualifier against Austria.

In the 82nd minute, Aston Villa secured three points thanks to a lucky goal from Angel, whose first goal of the season came from a deflection that looped over Given's head. This result has done little to cement Robson's role as the manager of Newcastle and it is pertinent to mention that the last time Alan Shearer was left out of the starting eleven, manager Ruud Gullit was given the boot.

By John Barker

Published: 8/30/2004

The last sentence is fairly telling aswell

EDit here's the link

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-30-2004-58663.asp

Fuck me 4 years down the line people still cling to the myth that the most respected manager we've ever employed had somehow 'lost the plot'.

Those who sang "you don't know what you're doing" - and those who defend this must be cock a hoop at the way the club has been since he left.

That in a nutshell is why we will never win a thing.

With our fans we don't deserve to.

Fuck me 4 years down the line people still cling to the myth that the most respected manager we've ever employed had somehow 'lost the plot'.

Those who sang "you don't know what you're doing" - and those who defend this must be cock a hoop at the way the club has been since he left.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Exactly, those cunts who booed Bobby after Wolves don't deserve a place in our ground.

:clap:

Always makes me laugh.

Alan Smith's bigger achievements were at other clubs, yet we're apparently meant to cheer on his shite performances according to nufc.com

Yes, that's exactly what they said.

If you want to boo, go to a fucking pantomime, if you going to leave early maybe just don't turn up at all, nobody will miss you.