New manager .: New skipper?

Guest smoggeordie

Owen would be my choice if he were to stay, for three reasons:

- Only outfield player we have who will always start when fit, regardless of form. Giving the likes of Butt, Parker, Emre, Dyer, Nobby, etc, the captaincy would be pointless as all of them could and should be dropped if in poor form. They should be considered squad players, able to be rotated - making one of them captain would just make it needlessly hard to drop them.

- Tons of experience. European player of the year, top international forward, etc.

- Like Beckham being handed the captaincy, it could be a good political move. Ie, maybe making Owen captain will motivate him to stay at the club, or to take us more seriously than he previously did (no fannying around here, his priority was to be in top shape for England/WC, and to use us as a stepping stone to a CL club).

Obviously, im ignoring the downsides, ie of him not being a natural leader, acting like a mercenary t*** at the moment, clearly wanting out, regularly being injured (might change under Allardyce, who knows), etc.

But I do think the dishing out of the captains armband is a good chance to hand a psychological advantage to a player who needs it. As an example, maybe Taylor would be another choice? Granted hes too young and has alot to learn, but maybe this would be the big incentive he needs to push him onto the right road?

And it also needs to be questioned if a natural leader needs to be captain anyway. Theyll still lead on the pitch regardless of whether they have a piece of cloth around their arm or not - Woodgate was a big leader for us on the pitch when he was here, it didnt matter that Shearer had the armband, he still controlled and inspired those around him.

So I vote for a "political" captain to be appointed, prefferably Owen. And definately not Dyer, which is clearly what Roeder tried to do (linked to Spurs, reportedly unhappy, so Roeder gives him the armband in the next game).

You never know whats going to happen really, but is it not safe to say that Butt & Solano are consistant enough performers and in general you wouldnt want them out the team too much?

Owen would be my choice if he were to stay, for three reasons:

- Only outfield player we have who will always start when fit, regardless of form. Giving the likes of Butt, Parker, Emre, Dyer, Nobby, etc, the captaincy would be pointless as all of them could and should be dropped if in poor form. They should be considered squad players, able to be rotated - making one of them captain would just make it needlessly hard to drop them.

- Tons of experience. European player of the year, top international forward, etc.

- Like Beckham being handed the captaincy, it could be a good political move. Ie, maybe making Owen captain will motivate him to stay at the club, or to take us more seriously than he previously did (no fannying around here, his priority was to be in top shape for England/WC, and to use us as a stepping stone to a CL club).

Obviously, im ignoring the downsides, ie of him not being a natural leader, acting like a mercenary t*** at the moment, clearly wanting out, regularly being injured (might change under Allardyce, who knows), etc.

But I do think the dishing out of the captains armband is a good chance to hand a psychological advantage to a player who needs it. As an example, maybe Taylor would be another choice? Granted hes too young and has alot to learn, but maybe this would be the big incentive he needs to push him onto the right road?

And it also needs to be questioned if a natural leader needs to be captain anyway. Theyll still lead on the pitch regardless of whether they have a piece of cloth around their arm or not - Woodgate was a big leader for us on the pitch when he was here, it didnt matter that Shearer had the armband, he still controlled and inspired those around him.

So I vote for a "political" captain to be appointed, prefferably Owen. And definately not Dyer, which is clearly what Roeder tried to do (linked to Spurs, reportedly unhappy, so Roeder gives him the armband in the next game).

You never know whats going to happen really, but is it not safe to say that Butt & Solano are consistant enough performers and in general you wouldnt want them out the team too much?

Aye, Butt would be a good captain if we knew for certain hed continue his form, but given his age I think its  a moderate gamble, as to be brutally honest, hes not good enough a player that if there were a dip in form, he wouldnt be ousted from the team by eg Parker, Emre, etc. Same with Nobby, who despite overall good form, showed some weaknesses in his game and some piss poor passing at times - I personally wouldnt be confident about them maintaining their form throughout all of next season. Just think it would be better if they werent in the positon of being club captain and therefore virtually undroppable.

None of the current team have proven that they deserve to be captain, particularly.

Butt has done ok, but lets face it, he could go back to his first season form. He's the best bet we have out of the current squad NOW, though, i reckon. Taylor maybe in the longer term, but not for now.

None of the current team have proven that they deserve to be captain, particularly.

Butt has done ok, but lets face it, he could go back to his first season form. He's the best bet we have out of the current squad NOW, though, i reckon. Taylor maybe in the longer term, but not for now.

Realistically, I share most people sentiments that Butt should be the captain. The attitude/character of the captain is far more important than his techniques and skills. We need someone clean, upright, loyal to the club (not just football) and willing to rant on players. By endorsing a player who has no wish to play for the club, who has often caused controversy would be a backward step in itself and may cause serious repercussions in the future too.

Regards,

Ericz

Put Parker as DMC and keep him as captin..not let him run around like a maniac doing virtually nothing and expect him to lead by example for the rest..

:cheesy:

So you must believe Parker is a better holding player than Butt? Please explain further?

For me the captain should be Solano. Not that it really matters that much imo.

What do you mean by his first season form, mate?

He played well in the first 4 games under Robson then was out a lot through injury and of course, Souness was now the 'manager.' Perhaps like some other players he could see Souness for the idiot that he is, especially after Ferguson. Unhappy players don't generally play to the best of their ability. Interesting that since he's returned he's looked a decent player again.

Guest NUFCnutter

Being captain shouldnt be down to the person's level of skill, it should be down to his passion and motivational skills on the pitch. Ok Parker can be a good DM but Nicky Butt is a better holder of the ball. Parker, imo, gets lost in games at times and his head goes down when we conceed, whereas both Butt and Solano are there trying to keep the others going. For me I would make Butt captain, and Nobby second in comand. Just off tangent a bit, but Given needs to be taught how to tell his defenders where they should be. He is not brilliant at shouting at them or organising them.

Solano-been at the club for very long time.Seems to be the person everyone would respect and listen.Always giving 100% for the club.I think he should be made captain for next season.2nd choice is Given for the same reasons.

Butt might not be 1st team player next season

He played well in the first 4 games under Robson then was out a lot through injury and of course, Souness was now the 'manager.' Perhaps like some other players he could see Souness for the idiot that he is, especially after Ferguson. Unhappy players don't generally play to the best of their ability. Interesting that since he's returned he's looked a decent player again.

You won't like it as it doesn't fit your view, but replace Robson with Sounness, Sounness with Roeder and Butt with Parker and the argument contains some truths and half truths but overall is, well, still as incoherent as it currently is.. ;)

Being captain shouldnt be down to the person's level of skill, it should be down to his passion and motivational skills on the pitch. Ok Parker can be a good DM but Nicky Butt is a better holder of the ball. Parker, imo, gets lost in games at times and his head goes down when we conceed, whereas both Butt and Solano are there trying to keep the others going. For me I would make Butt captain, and Nobby second in comand.

Theres the arguement though that theres no need to make them captain. Players who are leaders on the pitch will lead regardless of whether theyre wearing the armband or not. Hence, why many managers often use the armband to keep their best player happy and dedicated to the club.

Given needs to be taught how to tell his defenders where they should be. He is not brilliant at shouting at them or organising them.

That is something I very much agree and have been telling my all my friends all these while. That's perhaps his only flaw.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Taylor is clearly the one who commands the defence so why not make him the captain. Wasnt he captain for one of the England youth teams?

No one's mentioned someone really obvious yet so I'll do it. Shay Given. He's been at the club for fucking ages, he's consistently good, mostly fit, our first choice and I just have a feeling making him captain might push him onto the next level ie. become a true leader.

The only bad thing about it is he won't be able to drive the team forward etc. because he's a goalkeeper but tbh, don't you just feel that much better when you see his name on the teamsheet? Isn't that an attribute you want the captain to have? It's just a gut feeling but I think Given will benefit from being the captaincy and since he's been consistently good for nearly 10 years, saved us so many times you can't even count, I think he deserves it, and the team will benefit from him being a captain.

Something else worth mentioning, since none of our outfield players has actually 'earned' the armband, it's common sense to make Given the captain. Why? Because we won't have another Parker situation develop ie. other players clearly should be playing instead of him but he's undroppable because he's the captain. Along the lines of what tmonkey mentioned, we don't want to give it to someone who's form will probably fluctuate. We need it with someone stable, someone who we have and can continue to depend on. There's only one man at the club that fits the ball and his name is Shay Given.

I disagree with giving it to Owen because what message does that send out to the players? He's played 12 (?) games in two seasons and now he's suppose to be the leader of the team? Fuck off, that's nonsense. There is a point to be made about the 'political' captain but that's putting him over the importance of the team. If he's not already putting his all in atm, then he can fuck off, just like anyone else who's not giving their all.

You won't like it as it doesn't fit your view, but replace Robson with Sounness, Sounness with Roeder and Butt with Parker and the argument contains some truths and half truths but overall is, well, still as incoherent as it currently is.. ;)

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a toss about your opinion of anything to do with the team I support?

Being captain shouldnt be down to the person's level of skill, it should be down to his passion and motivational skills on the pitch. Ok Parker can be a good DM but Nicky Butt is a better holder of the ball. Parker, imo, gets lost in games at times and his head goes down when we conceed, whereas both Butt and Solano are there trying to keep the others going. For me I would make Butt captain, and Nobby second in comand.

Theres the arguement though that theres no need to make them captain. Players who are leaders on the pitch will lead regardless of whether theyre wearing the armband or not. Hence, why many managers often use the armband to keep their best player happy and dedicated to the club.

Yup, made this point years ago about Gary Speed. He was our real leader on the pitch, letting him go was a big mistake.

Yup, made this point years ago about Gary Speed. He was our real leader on the pitch, letting him go was a big mistake.

FFS' doing, if I'm not mistaken.

an for so cheap too will we never learn. I don't rate parker as captain material but I don't see any player any better that we have and would not like the thought of a new signing instantly been given the arm band. Solano would be the choice for me if I knew he would be around more than a season or two

Its gotta be Butt or Given, no one else in the current crop is close. I would prefer given, however a lot of people disagree with the GK being Captain.

I don't think people's problem with Given being handed the captaincy is related to his being a keeper - I think it's more to do with the fact his communication seems to be lacking. He can't seem to organise his defence - how can he inspire his team if he can't do that?

Its gotta be Butt or Given, no one else in the current crop is close. I would prefer given, however a lot of people disagree with the GK being Captain.

I don't think people's problem with Given being handed the captaincy is related to his being a keeper - I think it's more to do with the fact his communication seems to be lacking. He can't seem to organise his defence - how can he inspire his team if he can't do that?

How any goalkeeper in the world can organise that bunch of crap?

Yes,maybe sometimes his communication with the players and the defence isnt the best but our defence is shocking for years and any world class goalkeeper will struggle to organise it.

And what do you exactly mean by "organising his defence"?