Primera Liga

Guest Geordiesned

Oooh 2 braces per game..thats interesting...kind of.

2 Goals within 20 seconds pf each other, one bringing Real level the other Espanyol. With tonights results Real still on top due to a better head to head. One match left, so yes it is interesting.

;D thats a better way to put it hahah....

Well painting a picture with words was never one of my strong points  :D

Ruud Van Nistelrooy of La Liga = Didier Drogba of Premiership = MVP

If Real Madrid win the La Liga this year they literally buy the title - RVN = £10.3M, Diarra = £18M, Higuain = £9M, Gago = £10.1M, Cannavaro + Emerson = £14M. Total = £61.4M :shock:

Just seens Messi's hand ball goal. Cheating little shithead.

I like him as well. he's class but that's scummy

Considered acceptable in Spain as long you don't get caught by the ref according to Skysports resident spanish experts Guime Ballague and Roberto Martinez.

I always said, i even had a bet with my friend that Ruud Van Nistelrooy will end up being the top goalscorer of the La-Liga

The guy just came from one of the most physical hardest leagues in the world and straight into a league that chances are just waiting to be scored, i had no doubt whatsoever that he will end up as top goalscorer.

I always said, i even had a bet with my friend that Ruud Van Nistelrooy will end up being the top goalscorer of the La-Liga

The guy just came from one of the most physical hardest leagues in the world and straight into a league that chances are just waiting to be scored, i had no doubt whatsoever that he will end up as top goalscorer.

Due to the climate, less physical nature of the league and demands on him, he should be able to extend his career by at least 2 years.  I think Man U would have done the CL with him up front.  Missed his finishing in front of goal. 

Due to the climate, less physical nature of the league and demands on him, he should be able to extend his career by at least 2 years.  I think Man U would have done the CL with him up front.  Missed his finishing in front of goal. 

Aye but they turned into a team when it came to goalscoring this season, they don't pass the ball for him to score anymore, and their goals came from more than one player, but as i said a player like Ruud will find it far easier to score in the La-Liga than here.

The Guardian

Forget Beckham, Van Nistelrooy is the Real deal

While David Beckham is grabbing the headlines over here, a certain Mr Van Nistelrooy is the real force behind Madrid's title challenge.

Sid Lowe

June 9, 2007 12:00 AM

A sharp intake of breath accompanied David Beckham's hobbling return to Spain from England duty this week. As he emerged for training at Real Madrid's Valdebebas HQ yesterday, heavy strapping on his twisted ankle, the fear was palpable.

Tonight Madrid face Real Zaragoza in the most important match the club has played in three years. Win and they will be a solitary victory away from a first trophy since 2003 and a chance to end their longest drought in half a century; draw or lose and the league will probably slip from their grasp. They can ill afford to be without the man who has provided key assists in each of the five matches he has played since returning from a month's ostracism and six weeks' injury.

Beckham travelled with the squad and should make it. Besides, amid the excitement surrounding this latest footballing resurrection, it has been too easy to overlook another former Manchester United player quietly going about his work with devastating effectiveness - a player who, even more than Beckham, Madrid cannot afford to miss at the Romareda tonight.

"I know this might be a stupid question," began the query on one Madrid television channel this week, "but who's Madrid's player of the year?" The panellists nodded in agreement: it was a stupid question. There can be only one candidate and it is not David Beckham. It is, rather, Rutgerus Johannes Martinius van Nistelrooij. If there is a fundamental player in the Madrid side, in the Spanish league even, it is he.

Ruud van Nistelrooy has played more minutes than any other outfield player in the Madrid squad and it is no coincidence that they failed to win the two games he did not start. He has scored 31 goals, 23 of them in the league, leaving him two ahead of La Liga's second top scorer, Sevilla's Fredi Kanouté, who will miss out against Mallorca this weekend through injury. And he is three behind Roma's Francesco Totti in the race for the Golden Boot - even if he insists that he is "not even thinking" about that particular prize.

He alone has accounted for over a third of Madrid's league goals, their second top scorer Raúl having hit only seven, and has contributed more points to his team's league challenge than any other player at any other club. And he has done it the hard way. The Dutchman arrived in Madrid a 30-year-old in the shadow of Ronaldo.

Willing but unspectacular, initially he won over few fans in a stadium that values the aesthetic as much as the effective. It did not help that almost all his goals came away. With Ronaldo departing to Milan, a martyr at the hands of Fabio Capello's "anti-football", Van Nistelrooy was seen as an honest pro but a symbol of the Italian manager's boring football.

But, given time, Van Nistelrooy provided a watertight case, incontrovertible proof of his superiority in the form of goals - lots of them. Right foot, left foot, headers, he has scored them all. At last he has even hit the net from outside the area. "He has it all," says Carlos Santillana, the second highest scorer in the club's history. "He's good with both feet, strong and technical. He's the nearest thing there is to an old fashioned No9."

While the grinning Ronaldo promised 30 goals, Van Nistelrooy said nothing and got on with getting them. The Brazilian scored once in seven starts before moving - Van Nistelrooy reached his 30-goal target instead. A goal against Zaragoza and he will equal the record of club legend Hugo Sánchez. "Van Nistelrooy is a dying breed," the Mexican said. "Ruud has been fantastic," added Capello. "Few strikers have his instinct in front of goal."

What makes Van Nistelrooy's record even more remarkable is that, until Madrid's recent renaissance, it was all his own work. Isolated and unassisted, he has had fewer shots per goal than any striker in Europe; over the last three months he is running at a goal every 2.3 attempts. This has been no feast. "In biological terms he has gone from the jungle to the desert," Diego Torres wrote in El País. "He no longer gorges on mangoes but somehow he's getting by on insects."

Time and again he kept Madrid alive almost single-handedly. Now, amazingly, they are within reach of the title. But, warns Van Nistelrooy, there are still two games to go. "I didn't expect to have such a good season," the Dutchman admitted. "When you go to a new country, it's hard. But for me it was also a chance for a fresh start, to wipe the slate clean. I'm pleased but you can't truly evaluate things until the end of the season. It will all mean nothing if we don't win the next two matches."

Aye but they turned into a team when it came to goalscoring this season, they don't pass the ball for him to score anymore, and their goals came from more than one player, but as i said a player like Ruud will find it far easier to score in the La-Liga than here.

True, they looked like Arsenal did during the undefeated run.  I still think the Ronaldo's and Rooney's would have scored and played a larger impact, but you're right in saying they'd have looked for Horseface more often than nowt. 

Nistelrooy has been an absolute beast in La Liga... didn't he finish 3rd top scorer last season in the Prem despite warming the bench for long periods?

Brilliant title race. I think Barca are the only team to win it consecutively in something like 6 years... the Spanish league is alot more competitive than the Premiership.. the top 4 teams change frequently.

Didn't he manage 21 goals last season? IN something like 28 starts?

But, but....The Premiership is the most exciting!!! Richard Keys, Jeff Stelling, Jamie Redknapp, etc. keep telling us that!!

Some of the matches are but no it's mostly BS.

tbh the La-Liga was the most boring league this season, untill the last 5 or 6 rounds ago.

So will Messi be allowed to play the last game ofthe season, after the way he scored that first goal tonight? Surely he shouldnt, as a suspension will be coming his way. Would be total bullshit if he gets to play.

So will Messi be allowed to play the last game ofthe season, after the way he scored that first goal tonight? Surely he shouldnt, as a suspension will be coming his way. Would be total bullshit if he gets to play.

Either way it's highly unlikely Barca will win the title.

When was the last time the Premiership title was decided on the last day?

But, but....The Premiership is the most exciting!!! Richard Keys, Jeff Stelling, Jamie Redknapp, etc. keep telling us that!!

Some of the matches are but no it's mostly BS.

tbh the La-Liga was the most boring league this season, untill the last 5 or 6 rounds ago.

That's absolute tosh tbh. :lol: