Distin Rejection?

KaKa

Thought he was on about £20k tbh. Can't remember if thats hearsay or something I read mind. There's no way it was that much.

He will be on more than that, he has been here for years and we hand out pay rises like Jordan hands out sex.

Guest teepee

no way he was paid 67k - i actually think it was less than 20k - remember it was quite a while since he had a new deal....

Guest NUFCnutter

no way he was paid 67k - i actually think it was less than 20k - remember it was quite a while since he had a new deal....

Whatever it was he isnt going to be paid it for much longer by us is he?

With regards to what sort of ridiculous wages we pay inadequate players, I bring the Gospel according to Gemmill: (NB Strategic snipping for relevance sake - full post see http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=37528.msg747882#msg747882 )

We are paying mediocre players tens of thousands of pounds more than they could get at any other Premiership club - literally tens of thousands of pounds per WEEK over market rate.

wages are a huge issue, more so than available transfer funds (the former impacts the latter, clearly) and if we don't sort them out we are fucked in the short and long term.  Got an email off a lad I know who lives in Northumberland and drinks with an ex-NUFC player.  He didn't mention names, but says he's in his 50s and played with Roeder.  Anyway when we had our recent injury crisis he'd jokingly said to Roeder "I'll dust my boots off for £20k a week, Glenn", to which Roeder had responded "£20k a week?  You wouldn't even get in the reserves on that money."  And he was serious.  Needs sorting out big-time.

Well...I've not read all the way thru this thread (I stopped when someone compared Distin to Bramble, If I had read any further there was a serious risk my eyes would start bleeding). But Distin has left City today. I'm absolutely gutted, he's been a tremendous player for City in his spell here and I'll certainly give him a welcome reception if I'm there if/when when he turns up playing for someone else.  :clap: :icon_salut:

I'd hoped that the potential of a takeover might sway him but thats not to be by the looks of it...Wants a change. Don't really care about his motivations, I've got too much respect for him to speculate. But he's on his way to Pompey by all accounts - I really think they could be an interesting team next season - Sulley Muntari on his way? Even if Campbell heads north, I don't think they'll miss him if they replace him with Distin (as long as they dont pair him with Shitus Shambles). Can see them cracking Europe if they get a decent striker in as well. :thup:

Distin is a pretty good defender, but i really dont think he's good enough to carry Bungle. Put those 2 together and they'll be weaker than they were this season gone. On the other hand, put Distin with Campbell and you've got a great partnership.

I would guess Bungle to have been on around £30k a week at the toon.

Disappointed to miss out as I rate Distin, but if refusal to pay over the odds for a signing on fee or wages is the sign of a new way of doing things i'm all for it.

Disappointed to miss out as I rate Distin, but if refusal to pay over the odds for a signing on fee or wages is the sign of a new way of doing things i'm all for it.

Dis.

Campbell and Hyppia are much better options for the CB position

Distin never played at that high level Campbell and Hyypia did.

Guest smoggeordie

French defender Sylvain Distin has joined Portsmouth on a three-year contract after leaving Manchester City at the end of his contract.

The 29-year-old, who was City captain and missed just one Premiership game last season, joined them from Paris St Germain for £4m in 2002.

Guest Armchair Pundit

Campbell on his way to us then? If Hypia comes as well our central defense will likely consist of Taylor and one of those two with the remaining one on the bench I'd have thought. Just need a decent right and left back now.

Guest Emre05

so much for pedro saying a few weeks back at a talk in that distin are sidwell are in the bag !!

Talking of overpaid defenders, I was listening to a local sports phone-in down here, and the presenter was talking about the rumoured interest of Birmingham's least evolved football club, Birmingham City, in the legend they know as Lord Titus of Bramble. Presenter said the main sticking point would be his wages, rumoured to be *67k* a week at Newcastle.

Now, said presenter is known around these parts as being a moron, so he could have got it wrong, but even so, had I been drinking at the time, I'd have expelled it at high speed through my nostrils.

That can't be right, can it? 67k?

:lol:

That's absolute bollocks.

That's good to know. I don't know what perturbed me most, the fact that Bramble could be on that kind of money, or the fleeting thought that I actually believed it briefly.

about £40k from the most recent undeserved payrise, i thought. Still £35k more than he deserved, in fairness.

French defender Sylvain Distin has joined Portsmouth on a three-year contract after leaving Manchester City at the end of his contract.

The 29-year-old, who was City captain and missed just one Premiership game last season, joined them from Paris St Germain for £4m in 2002.

Gutted. :weep:

so much for pedro saying a few weeks back at a talk in that distin are sidwell are in the bag !!

Sidwell - nailed on.

Clearly wor Pedro isn't in the loop these days :lol:

Its up there with "Roeder will be in charge next season" (Parky i think), and

"we'll be challenging for the top 4 next season" (Parky definatley).

:)

Guest graemeh72

Distin is a mercenary simple as...

He's purely a footballer for the money

Man City now Portsmouth ... not the clubs of an ambitious player.

The guy wants an easy life playing no pressure football - Newcastle is everything the guy doesn't want in a career

Guest Steven_MB

Who needs distin, we can buy pretty much buy who we want now, provided we can pursuade them to come!

I think some people are getting a litte carried away :lol:

Lifes more fun that way.