Gullit dig for Newcastle legend Shearer

Dinho lad

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=40572

Dutch legend Ruud Gullit has taken a fresh dig at his former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer.

The former Toon boss left after dropping Shearer, but told the Independent: "No, no personality clash.

"The board didn't want me to go because they knew what I was trying to do, but it was not possible. When I realised that I couldn't change the mentality, I said, 'Thank you very much, Mr Shepherd, I can't do this.' And to see Newcastle today, still changing managers, you can see I was right. I wanted the same thing I'd had at Milan, and brought to Chelsea; an intelligence. I didn't tell Shearer how to play, I just wanted him to do a little bit more. At Chelsea it was the other way around. Mark Hughes was always running from left to right outside the box.

"I said, 'Mark, don't run so much.' He said, 'But Fergie always told me to chase.' I said, 'Yes, when you were 26. Now you're 32. I only want you to run at the edge of the box. That's your territory. Stay there.' Which he did, and scored all kinds of goals for us. Shearer scored lots of goals, too, but he could have done more for the team."

:rolleyes:

Everyone knows Big Al's major problem with Gullit was the way he was treating Rob Lee and I am more than sure the board did want rid of him like. "sexy football" my arse we were shite!!

Guest Armchair Pundit

Gullit's just a cock-end who can't let it lie, don't really care what he says as it's usually a load of bollocks. Shearer was/is a legend, Gullit's just a washed up crap manager who couldn't cut it when he had to deal with a real star player.

Fair enough. I don't see why Gullit's not entitled to make such comment, so really don't get what the :rolleyes: smiley is there for?

Because he seems to be incapable of moving on.

Aye, from that point of view, fair enough mate.

In fairness to Shearer, I seem to remember he was struggling for fitness in the Gullit era, and needed a groin operation after Robson took over to get more mobility back. That might explain the lack of work rate, although I suspect that Gullit put it down to his attitude.

Robson moved things forward because he formed an alliance with Shearer as the main man, and built the team's strategy around him. This was successful, but things inevitably came unstuck when the time came round for Shearer to be replaced. He'd become more powerful than the manager.

Gullit's just a cock-end who can't let it lie, don't really care what he says as it's usually a load of bollocks. Shearer was/is a legend, Gullit's just a washed up crap manager who couldn't cut it when he had to deal with a real star player.

a real star player?

what are you kidding me? Gullit had to deal with himself, and Gullit achieved ten times what Shearer did

and Zola isn't a real star player? Vialli?

Gullit saw that with Shearer in our team we would never win anything, he was right, regardless of how many goals Shearer scored

Guest alex

Shearer did seem to be going through the motions under Gullit but he was unable to get anything like the best out of the player at the same time. Heresy, but probably fault on both sides. A real personality clash. Shearer has showed his class by keeping quiet about it though imo. Also, you're talking out your arse with the last paragraph there Ronaldo. The fact that we won nowt with Shearer in the team doesn't mean we couldn't win anything with him in the team. He carried us at times.

Shearer did seem to be going through the motions under Gullit but he was unable to get anything like the best out of the player at the same time. Heresy, but probably fault on both sides. A real personality clash. Shearer has showed his class by keeping quiet about it though imo. Also, you're talking out your arse with the last paragraph there Ronaldo. The fact that we won nowt with Shearer in the team doesn't mean we couldn't win anything with him in the team. He carried us at times.

in which season do you think he carried us? really

Fair enough. I don't see why Gullit's not entitled to make such comment, so really don't get what the :rolleyes: smiley is there for?

Because he seems to be incapable of moving on.

I'm sure he sits around at home constantly ringing up the English press.

Ruud: "Hello, is that the Sun? Hi, Ruud Gullit here, I've got a story you might be interested in..."

Sun Reporter: "Hang on Rudy, it's not about Shearer again is it?"

Ruud: "No, no not at all .... well maybe a bit ... but it's a totally new angle on.."

Sun Reporter: "FFS". Click

Ruud: Sigh. Where's that number for the independant.

Or maybe, just maybe he was asked a direct question about the much reported personality clash between him and Shearer during an interview he'd agreed to to do about the CL final, and gave a relatively uncontroversial answer.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/european/article2573260.ece

Ruud Gullit was hosting a training session for Sure Sport - the anti-leak grooming range that is engineered for sports fanatics and the kit bag. For more information visit www.suresportmen.com

eh?

Guest ryunufc

maybe not personality clash, it was a phillosophy clash. gullit was right, no player should be bigger than the club. but this was shearer, he really shouldve accomodated him instead of trying to change it. he took a gamble and lost.

SBR did not make the same mistake. either because he had more experience or saw shearer differently with gullit (build the team around him).

in my opinion, shearer dragged us behind only for his last two years. that was the time when he was supposed to be replaced or not automatic first choice. for the years before i agree that he carried us.

it is best for shearer and nufc to move on, give some time to change that mentallity which gullit mentioned. when the time is right i think shearer will return to nufc.

We'd have been pretty screwed in 99/00 when he scored 30 goals.

Guest alex

Johnny already said tbh. His goals in the cup runs (including the one under Gullit) too. Do you really think we couldn't have won anything with Shearer in the team btw?

The history of world football, and a whole bunch of winner's medals would probably beg to differ.

Truth is Shearer could never cope with having anyone around who may be bigger than himself and players and managers were blown away by his dominance in the club.

Sadly the net result was we moved backwards during Shearer's "reign" not forwards.

Aye, Gullit did nothing as a player did he?  :rolleyes: