Luke Young

Cajun
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playing in that shitty Charlton team probably didn't do him any favours this season, and if we can't get any better it'd be 2m well spent.

He'd be a significant improvement on Carr.

Same argument didn't hold water a while ago when people talked about Heskey being an improvement on Ameobi. A player is either good enough for where we want to be or isn't. Young isn't a big enough improvement.

Enough money has been wasted already, the club needs to buy players who are a significant improvement on what we already have.

Young IS a significant improvement on Carr.

I'd agree but the fact remains that while Young is average, Carr is absolutely dreadful. Neither is good enough to hold down a first team spot if we want to get to where we all want to go. 

In the short to medium term, we are looking at what, top 7? I reckon Young is good for that. For the kind of money talked about here, certainly.

See what you're getting at but I think we should be aiming for top 4 tbh. Agree with HTL, we should be looking for a RB who's good enough to compete in a top 4 side. Luke Young isn't the answer. Yes, he'd improve us but it would mean replacing him in 2 years time with someone better. Let's just sign the better player now. I know that sounds glib as fuck but the player we need is out there and I trust Allardyce to find him.  O0

We are currently so far from a top 4 side that its laughable. Apart from Given and Owen, not one other player os capable of playing at that level properly. Its a pipe dream to want top 4 players in every position. You have to be a big club to get that, and we are far from a big club.

Young woudl greatly improve our squad, and give a genuine alternative to a rapidly ageing  right winger at right back. If thats a bad thing, then you must hate the rest of our squad more than i do, because they aren't good enough for the top 4 either.

Never said they were tbh.  :undecided:

Just think that we should be scouring the globe for the bloke who's better than Young to take us back into the top 4. Not that long ago since we finished top 4 you know!  :lol:

I couldn't give a toss how long ago since we finished top 4 - twice out of the last 10 seasons, the last being 4 ago - you clearly can't think the rest of the squad are up to it. Like signing Duff last season, its the same thing - wrong priority. I'd rather take a RB good enough for the top 7 (which should be our short/medium term place) and get similar players in other positions, rather than pretend we can attract top top players.

We have, in my opinion, 7 or 8 players who can comfortably play at that level. Lets get the rest in, and build from there.

This is a better summary than yours

http://nufc.com/2006-07html/premiership-stats.html

Playing in that shitty Charlton team probably didn't do him any favours this season, and if we can't get any better it'd be 2m well spent.

Same argument didn't hold water a while ago when people talked about Heskey being an improvement on Ameobi. A player is either good enough for where we want to be or isn't. Young isn't a big enough improvement.

Enough money has been wasted already, the club needs to buy players who are a significant improvement on what we already have.

I'd agree but the fact remains that while Young is average, Carr is absolutely dreadful. Neither is good enough to hold down a first team spot if we want to get to where we all want to go. 

In the short to medium term, we are looking at what, top 7? I reckon Young is good for that. For the kind of money talked about here, certainly.

See what you're getting at but I think we should be aiming for top 4 tbh. Agree with HTL, we should be looking for a RB who's good enough to compete in a top 4 side. Luke Young isn't the answer. Yes, he'd improve us but it would mean replacing him in 2 years time with someone better. Let's just sign the better player now. I know that sounds glib as fuck but the player we need is out there and I trust Allardyce to find him.  O0

We are currently so far from a top 4 side that its laughable. Apart from Given and Owen, not one other player os capable of playing at that level properly. Its a pipe dream to want top 4 players in every position. You have to be a big club to get that, and we are far from a big club.

Young woudl greatly improve our squad, and give a genuine alternative to a rapidly ageing  right winger at right back. If thats a bad thing, then you must hate the rest of our squad more than i do, because they aren't good enough for the top 4 either.

Just think that we should be scouring the globe for the bloke who's better than Young to take us back into the top 4. Not that long ago since we finished top 4 you know!  :lol:

I couldn't give a toss how long ago since we finished top 4 - twice out of the last 10 seasons, the last being 4 ago - you clearly can't think the rest of the squad are up to it. Like signing Duff last season, its the same thing - wrong priority. I'd rather take a RB good enough for the top 7 (which should be our short/medium term place) and get similar players in other positions, rather than pretend we can attract top top players.

We have, in my opinion, 7 or 8 players who can comfortably play at that level. Lets get the rest in, and build from there.

erm, why is a link a better summary (ignoring the fact that a link is by no means a summary in the first place) than a concise, 7 word summary??

erm, why is a link a better summary (ignoring the fact that a link is by no means a summary in the first place) than a concise, 7 word summary??

I just meant that going 13/14 years back gives you 8 top 7 finishes rather than 2 top 4 finishes in the last 10. Its just a case of perspecive tbh.

I just meant that going 13/14 years back gives you 8 top 7 finishes rather than 2 top 4 finishes in the last 10. Its just a case of perspecive tbh.

But we were talking about top 4 finishes. Not top 7.

I know and its the right benchmark too. I just think that top 7 is about right for the 7th most successful club in English football.

I know and its the right benchmark too. I just think that top 7 is about right for the 7th most successful club in English football.

Which would be really relevant, if it had any relevance to the debate. Which it doesn't.

Still waiting to hear how your non-summarising link provides a better summary than my summarising 7 words.

Which would be really relevant, if it had any relevance to the debate. Which it doesn't.

Still waiting to hear how your non-summarising link provides a better summary than my summarising 7 words.

Its relevant if you think that judging the club by top 4 finishes is more relevant than judging it by top 7 finishes. Its a question of perspective. I agree i've changed the debate slightly but i thought it was justifiable. I said that top 4 was the right benchmark so my view isnt as different to yours as you might imagine.

Edit: i meant "Its not relevant...."

Its relevant if you think that judging the club by top 4 finishes is more relevant than judging it by top 7 finishes. Its a question of perspective. I agree i've changed the debate slightly but i thought it was justifiable. I said that top 4 was the right benchmark so my view isnt as different to yours as you might imagine.

Aye, right.

In an ideal world, HTL is right. We should be aimng at the best right back possible.

However, at NUFC currently, it is less than an ideal world and a number of issues need to be taken into account:

Allardyce has already come out and said that the supporters should not expect a plethera of name players but some which are considered to be lesser lights to a certain extent. Young probably falls into that category. Better than what we have but not able to take us to the upper echelons in the short term.

In the current climate of takeover speculation, we may not have that much money to spend and we need a lot of new players to replace those who have already departed from what was already a very thin squad.

In current circumstances, NUFC is not the most attractive option for players to consider.

I am afraid that we need to be sensible here and consider ourselves in the same situation when Bobby Robson took over. Expectations are survival and re-building for the next two or three seasons

UNLESS, OF COURSE, ASHLEY GETS IMMEDIATE FULL TAKEOVER OF THE CLUB AND SUBSTANTIAL FUNDING IS GIVEN TO THE MANAGER.

Why don't we just wait to see if Big Sam has any interest before we start the debate?

That would be good for the forum, see you in a few weeks when Sam has confirmed and interest in someone. Will be fun debating that one topic then waiting another week until we can discuss the next new exciting thread :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ridzuan

I would take Luke Young for 2M.I think he is still young and is still developing into a bright star for the future.We should try and go for him.

I would take Luke Young for 2M.I think he is still young and is still developing into a bright star for the future.We should try and go for him.

He's 28, not exactly young or a future bright star.

£2m is a good price though, especially if we can throw Carr in the other direction, i doubt they'd refuse that.

I'd take young in a flash. We need capable defenders right now and young certainly is that.

Either him or Geremi for me. Not even going to speculate on foreign signings.

Bollocks.  We need to sign someone better than Young.

I'd like better, but for that price he can easily be rotation with another RB.

Exactly. Young is one of those signings that in the past we say we "should have gone for".

£2m is a good deal, but we'd have to sign someone else aswell. Regardless of the price, it's only a 'decent' signing. We need someone really good for the wing-back positions, not someone half-decent. The only thing appealing about this offer is the price, but that isn't all that we have to think about in such a sensitive area. We need to sort wing-back out; we've paid nothing prices for nothing wing-backs for too long, now. Sort it out, Sam.

Guest graemeh72

He's 28, not exactly young or a future bright star.

£2m is a good price though, especially if we can throw Carr in the other direction, i doubt they'd refuse that.

Jeepers I didn't know he was almost 28....

....he needs to made the grade then and sharpish

I think he's a more than okay player who'd be a good addition to the squad.

Don't be surprised though if we see an upsurge in Carr's form. I think he's previously been very pissed off with the way the club has been run, on and off the field, and that's affected him.

Carr should never play another game for us. He's fat and slow and his attitude is awful. Very poor defender. When he was younger he was always one of them full backs who were better going foward than defending but he had some pace to be able to do it effectively back then. Now he just gets caught out time and time again. Even if his attitude was spot on, he still couldn't get away with his lack of pace in that position. Nobby gets away with it because he's clever as fuck and can read the game with his eyes shut.