Beckham back in England squad

Dave

If he's playing well, why not.

Full England squad to face Brazil and Estonia:

Goalkeepers: Robinson (Tottenham), Carson (Liverpool), Green (West Ham).

Defenders: P Neville (Everton), R Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), Dawson (Tottenham), King (Tottenham), Shorey (Reading).

Midfielders: Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), Jenas (Tottenham), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Bentley (Blackburn), Carrick (Man Utd), Lampard (Chelsea), Downing (Middlesbrough), Dyer (Newcastle).

Forwards: Crouch (Liverpool), Owen (Newcastle), Smith (Man Utd), Defoe (Tottenham).

Guest gggg

I wish he'd just hurry up and retire of over in Yank land tbh.

Beckham this, Beckham that jesus christ who cares

If he's playing well, why not.

Because he has been shit and ineffective for England for ages. And because there's better, more appropriate players available, and cos it smacks of utter desperation.

Bentley, Lennon and Beckham in the squad - three right wingers!

Would rather he gave someone who is going to be around for the next 5 or 10 years a chance. Beckham is basically retiring in a few weeks time and won't be around for the finals, if we get there. If McClaren is developing a squad who are slowly getting used to each other then I honestly can't see the logic of picking him.

Plus he now looks fucking spineless.

Phil Neville? Was McClaren watching the game last night?

On a similar topic...Gareth Barry omitted for Downing, Jenas? WTF? Is he fucking blind?

Re; Beckham. Of course he shouldn't have been picked. He's been a negative influence on England performances for 5 years with his inability to get anywhere near the byline, keep the shape or use possession intelligently. But if this decision speeds up the exit of Spineless McSmirky...

Would rather he gave someone who is going to be around for the next 5 or 10 years a chance. Beckham is basically retiring in a few weeks time and won't be around for the finals, if we get there. If McClaren is developing a squad who are slowly getting used to each other then I honestly can't see the logic of picking him.

Plus he now looks fucking spineless.

Spot on, on every count. Not much sense in bringing him back now, arguably shouldn't have been dropped from the squad all those months ago, but to bring him back now is nothing other than pointless.

It also doesn't matter how well he does for Madrid, cause he never does that well for us. He has moments though, which people remember and forget the 90% dross he puts up.  Long ball merchant.

I'm sure he was at the match, but it makes no sense - if he'd actually watched the game last night, there's no way he could not pick Gareth Barry.

If i was him, I'd tell McLaren to stick it up his cunt.

I'd play this against Brazil:

Robinson

Carragher -- Ferdinand -- Terry -- Bridge

Bentley -- Gerrard -- Carrick -- Downing

Owen -- Crouch

Bentley and Downing deserve their chances to see if they can push on, following good individual performances last night. They deserve an opportunity to see if they can build on it, and pick themselves for the qualifier. The rest of the side is probably who i'd pick anyway.

King, Shorey, Cole and Smith would be the only four i'd be tempted to bring on.

EDIT: Agree that the ommitance of Barry is plain stupid. Feel sorry for the fella; of what i saw last night, i thought he put in a decent shift.

Guest Knightrider

Daft policy. Aye he's a good player but what difference will he make and will he be around for the Euros? Wouldn't mind if it was for football reasons but it isn't, it's to take the attention away from McLaren.

Guest Knightrider

I'd agree Bentley should be in the team on the right. Had a fantastic season and as has been said, has years ahead of him.

Agree 100%, he was excellent BTW last night for those who didn't see the match, he's come on massively since Norwich and his first season at Blackburn. Gives me hope that Milner can do the same, which to be fair he's improved also, but Bentley looks an altogether different player.

It's just only one game. No harm in giving Beckham a chance.

It's not as though the rest of England's players are performing internationally. Regrettably, currently most are just flops at international level.

For practical sake:

If the whole team does improve because of him or he has a good performance, keep him for subsequent game.

Hitherto, kick him...

Plain and simple rule.. if the person can be made used of... make use of him.. if not, abandon him... Players are just like tools or clothes in your wardrobe in this case to achieve an objective - which is to qualify / win games.

Don't really understand what is the fuss here.

Regards,

Ericz

NB: Aye, i do agree Barry deserves a chance though for his efforts.

Guest kingdawson

On a similar topic...Gareth Barry omitted for Downing, Jenas? WTF? Is he f****** blind?

Re; Beckham. Of course he shouldn't have been picked. He's been a negative influence on England performances for 5 years with his inability to get anywhere near the byline, keep the shape or use possession intelligently. But if this decision speeds up the exit of Spineless McSmirky...

Not blind, sensible. Jenas has just had a very good season and played well yesterday and Downing is the only out and out left winger weve got and banged in 2 goals yesterday. Harsh on Barry though. Suppose he could have been selected over P Neville

I don't see the point of Jenas in the England squad though. Sure, he's neat and tidy, but he's never going to start, when you're chasing a goal, he's not the type you'd bring on when you need a bit of inspiration to make or grab a goal, and he's not the type to bring on when you need to cling on for dear life.

On a similar topic...Gareth Barry omitted for Downing, Jenas? WTF? Is he f****** blind?

Not blind, sensible. Jenas has just had a very good season and played well yesterday and Downing is the only out and out left winger weve got and banged in 2 goals yesterday. Harsh on Barry though. Suppose he could have been selected over P Neville

I only watched the first half last night, and I thought the two players mentioned were utter wank, and Barry was the best player on the pitch. Would easily be above those two for me. blueyes.gif

I really expected this to happen, Movie style..

Beckham gets the axe, the whole national team starts playing shit, the country screams for their captin to return and under pressure the evil McClaren is forced to take him back

I am guessing next he will score a last gasp winner against Brazil..

Don't think McClaren shouldve gave him his place back.it shows a lack of personalty but hey..if he's going to pick Dyer why not pick Beckham

McClaren has built this game up to be a vital one. What he fails to mention is, it's only vital because the team has already dropped points because of his selections, tactics and his inability to motivate his players. Had we won the games we were more than capable of, this one should have been a formality. Estonia? A vital game? Give me a break!  :lol:

Guest kingdawson

I only watched the first half last night, and I thought the two players mentioned were utter w***, and Barry was the best player on the pitch. Would easily be above those two for me. blueyes.gif

says it all really.

Don't think McClaren shouldve gave him his place back.it shows a lack of personalty

What is personality to a person if he does not achieve the targeted objectives?

Life isn't about personality... people judge one by their successes.

Dignity, pride, personality, character, attitude are just constituent elements to success.

Without success, without meeting the targeted objectives, no one will care about your dignity, your pride, your personality.

This is the real world we are living in.

Perhaps in a crude manner, he may be lacking personality...

But phrase it in a positive manner, I say he is flexible and know how to adapt to the times.

---> see how words changes so easily? A success will even make this phrase more convincing.

Regards,

Ericz

Guest kingdawson

I don't see the point of Barry in the England squad though. Sure, he's neat and tidy, but he's never going to start, when you're chasing a goal, he's not the type you'd bring on when you need a bit of inspiration to make or grab a goal, and he's not the type to bring on when you need to cling on for dear life.

Beckham for England = massive backwards step

Why is it a backward step?

It is merely one game we are talking about. It's like a trial for Beckham to test how strong his desires are. From a psychological point of view, people with desires are usually stronger... hence they they can be a better tool.

If he shows his value, keep him, hitherto, kick him.

I mention in my other post that players are merely tools to achieve one's objective. As long as the objective can be achieved, why care about little issues?

Honestly, i would have no qualms in calling up a 50 years old if he has the possibility of achieving my objective. Ultimately, it is just one game. I don't see how backward a step it can be.

Then again, i don't understand why people are making a fuss over such minor stuffs really... too much time i guess...

Regards,

Ericz

Guest gggg

I don't see the point of Barry in the England squad though. Sure, he's neat and tidy, but he's never going to start, when you're chasing a goal, he's not the type you'd bring on when you need a bit of inspiration to make or grab a goal, and he's not the type to bring on when you need to cling on for dear life.

Barry can play left mid, centre mid or left back so his versatility alone makes him a better squad player than Jenas.