£270m over 5 years to win the EPL & CL

Dokko

I just hope this doesn't mean we go out and buy more Duffs, Parkers and Emres.

We need hungry players with a point to prove Sam, so please dodn't succumb!!!

Stick to your psychological testing and all of that good stuff PLEASE!!!

They'd be alright players if they had a reliable defense behind them and a good targetman in front of them.

Am not saying i would keep them indefinite, in fact if decent money came in id sell em all, but under a new manager they could have some use.

I know but in general I think we would have been better off buying players of a similar ilk who were still on the rise, rather than these guys who were cast offs from other top clubs.

If we bought that kind of quality in defense (for example: Bridge, Wes Brown, Glen Johnson) we'd be laughing imo. Instead we do with Championship garbage.

Guest BooBoo

Tbh the phrase "challenging for the champions league" is enough for me. If this story is true, this bloke has the ambition to match the huge shedfuls of wonga he has at his disposeful.

To think that recently the mackmes were spouting thier "we're backed by some of the richest men in Ireland".  ;D

One thing for sure, i bet those folk that tossed their season tickets may be sheepishly filling in their renewal forms if MA does get his super rich paws on the club.

Guest Knightrider

We shouldn't get too carried away over these reports, Villa, Pompey and just about every club that has been taken over have all had stories of massive spending thrown at them and with the exception of Chelsea, not many go on a spending blitz. Easy copy for the papers and for Ashley himself, good PR in his fight to takeover the club. Treat such stories with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, money has never been an issue here at United and I'd rather we didn't go down the same path as Chelsea and buy success because I believe you can do it the proper way with via good management and planning.

Big Sam needs 3-5 years regardless and I'd be disappointed if he was peddled after a year because he didn't deliver European football or a trophy. We need to look at the bigger picture here, foundations first, then look towards success. You can have success without foundations of course but it won't last. Get the foundations laid however and success will always be within reach and consistently too.

Guest Magpiecn

How the hell were Chelsea a mid table team and as bad as we are now? they were a top 6 team occasionaly getting in the champions league.

Anyway i dont believe any of that story.

1. No chairman makes any of his budgets public

2. It makes no sense to put pressure on the manager who's only just been appointed and he probably  hasnt even met

3. it's from The Sunday Sun

Aye.But if there'll be 54m to spend per year ,its excited.

We shouldn't get too carried away over these reports, Villa, Pompey and just about every club that has been taken over have all had stories of massive spending thrown at them and with the exception of Chelsea, not many go on a spending blitz. Easy copy for the papers and for Ashley himself, good PR in his fight to takeover the club. Treat such stories with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, money has never been an issue here at United and I'd rather we didn't go down the same path as Chelsea and buy success because I believe you can do it the proper way with via good management and planning.

Big Sam needs 3-5 years regardless and I'd be disappointed if he was peddled after a year because he didn't deliver European football or a trophy. We need to look at the bigger picture here, foundations first, then look towards success. You can have success without foundations of course but it won't last. Get the foundations laid however and success will always be within reach and consistently too.

If these figures being mentioned are true then Allardyce is going into uncharted waters as he's never been a big spender.  This might be his biggest problem as manager of Newcastle, let's just hope he puts some good scouts to work because a lot of hard work is going to be needed, sometimes it's easier to hide behind having no money than it is to spend well, Keegan managed it but a lot have failed, Souness for 1.

Guest Knightrider

If these figures being mentioned are true then Allardyce is going into uncharted waters as he's never been a big spender.  This might be his biggest problem as manager of Newcastle, let's just hope he puts some good scouts to work because a lot of hard work is going to be needed, sometimes it's easier to hide behind having no money than it is to spend well, Keegan managed it but a lot have failed, Souness for 1.

I'm fairly confident that if he sticks by his own meticulous methods when investigating potential purchases, he'll get more right than wrong, regardless of the figure he's spending. However I admit this is one area where he needs to prove himself and I think he will.

One thing in our favour regarding Allardyce is that his whole career has been managed carefully for this very occasion; managing a big club, winning things and buying top players. He's very ambitious and is an intelligent man - this is what he's wanted to do all along, he won't go weak at the knees and go on some mad wasteful FM spending spree ala a Souness.

The beauty about Sam is even if he has money to spend, he'll still use the loan, bosman and cheap unknowns system and always look for real value for money.

Totally spot on.

Guest Magpiecn

I'm fairly confident that if he sticks by his own meticulous methods when investigating potential purchases, he'll get more right than wrong, regardless of the figure he's spending. However I admit this is one area where he needs to prove himself and I think he will.

One thing in our favour regarding Allardyce is that his whole career has been managed carefully for this very occasion; managing a big club, winning things and buying top players. He's very ambitious and is an intelligent man - this is what he's wanted to do all along, he won't go weak at the knees and go on some mad wasteful FM spending spree ala a Souness.

The beauty about Sam is even if he has money to spend, he'll still use the loan, bosman and cheap unknowns system and always look for real value for money.

Hope that he'll not.He should know its in newcastle,what fans and board's target,and the present team is far worse than Man u ,chelsea ,even spurs.If he'll still do that, hes out for less than two years.

Guest Knightrider

Hope that he'll not.He should know its in newcastle,what fans and board's target,and the present team is far worse than Man u ,chelsea ,even spurs.If he'll still do that, hes out for less than two years.

Well last season he tried to sign Beckham on loan for Bolton, he also signed Diouf at a knockdown price, he signed an overaged Speed and tried to buy Sorin for 1.5m - all quality players either on a free, on loan or for low fees. I'd be happy for him to continue buying such players for Newcastle, even if he had millions to spend because it is all about the player and what they can bring, not how much they cost.

PS The top clubs also use this system, Man Utd with Larsson, Liverpool with the likes of Zenden, Chelsea with Hiam - tried to get him on a free.

Well last season he tried to sign Beckham on loan for Bolton, he also signed Diouf at a knockdown price, he signed an overaged Speed and tried to buy Sorin for 1.5m - all quality players either on a free, on loan or for low fees. I'd be happy for him to continue buying such players for Newcastle, even if he had millions to spend because it is all about the player and what they can bring, not how much they cost.

PS The top clubs also use this system, Man Utd with Larsson, Liverpool with the likes of Zenden, Chelsea with Hiam - tried to get him on a free.

Agreed, it's not what you spend that matters, it's what you get.

Spot on. I'd be shitting myself if the new owner said the manager'll be out at the end of the season if he doesn't cut the mustard. That attitude rarely accompanies on-field success.

How the hell were Chelsea a mid table team and as bad as we are now? they were a top 6 team occasionaly getting in the champions league.

Anyway i dont believe any of that story.

1. No chairman makes any of his budgets public

2. It makes no sense to put pressure on the manager who's only just been appointed and he probably  hasnt even met

3. it's from The Sunday Sun

Aye.But if there'll be 54m to spend per year ,its excited.

Not a chance in hell.

I see the sentiment but you're far too idealistic mate. Do you honestly think when Chelsea fans were celebrating winning the FA Cup last week and enjoying a great day at Wembley, or even the Carling Cup a few months ago at Cardiff, they were thinking, "This is b*llocks, we bought these".

He'll have to, tbh. Top talent is spread very thinly right now – the fees being talked about for Berbatov show how few players there are around who might make a difference at the very highest level –  and we're not the only club going into the market with new money to invest in players.

Not a chance in hell.

How is there no chance?..  Our spending over the last 10 years probably averages £20 million a season (maybe slightly less, maybe slightly more).  A further £34 million per season from Ashley for 5 seasons (£175 million total) is hardly impossible from a multi-billionaire..

Guest exilim

Tbh the phrase "challenging for the champions league" is enough for me. If this story is true, this bloke has the ambition to match the huge shedfuls of wonga he has at his disposeful.

To think that recently the mackmes were spouting thier "we're backed by some of the richest men in Ireland".  ;D

One thing for sure, i bet those folk that tossed their season tickets may be sheepishly filling in their renewal forms if MA does get his super rich paws on the club.

For your info, sunderland are "challenging for the champions league" too. hahaha

Guest Knightrider

Not a chance in hell.

How is there no chance?..  Our spending over the last 10 years probably averages £20 million a season (maybe slightly less, maybe slightly more).  A further £34 million per season from Ashley for 5 seasons (£175 million total) is hardly impossible from a multi-billionaire..

Our average spend is £8m a year, more or less the same as Liverpool.

Guest BooBoo

Given his decent track record, i would sure as hell trust Allardyce with a transfer warchest, rather than Benitez, who has splashed a hell of a lot of money on fairly average players who wont have increased in value during their time at Anfield.

For your info, sunderland are "challenging for the champions league" too. hahaha

Its time someone really needs to tell them to look at the table the right way up.

Guest exilim

Ban this fool.

Ban who.

Take a look at this.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-irish-bookies-take-gbp10m-punt-sunderland-/2007/04/13/2507216.htm

(The Northern Echo Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge) SUNDERLAND'S new sponsors have revealed how the club's Champions League aspirations helped seal one of the most lucrative sponsorship deals outside the top four English clubs.

"I see Sunderland as Premier League winners, Champions League winners, " said Boyle,

:idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Its a bit worrying if true to make Sam a tinkerman mark two.

Fair enough if he is throwing that kind of money at him, he should see results, but he has to understand the mess the club is in and the measures and time it will take to fix it before we can really step forward.

Personally I think Big Sam will be relishing this, its more pressure yes, but like HTT says its all he has ever wanted.

I dont think signing playes will be a problem, he has worked with some of the worlds best and some big egos, just a price tag wont make a difference to how he handles a certain player.

Off the pitch he will put the club in great shape, can he tactically do it with the best on the field we will have to see.

Ban this fool.

Ban who.

Take a look at this.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-irish-bookies-take-gbp10m-punt-sunderland-/2007/04/13/2507216.htm

(The Northern Echo Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge) SUNDERLAND'S new sponsors have revealed how the club's Champions League aspirations helped seal one of the most lucrative sponsorship deals outside the top four English clubs.

"I see Sunderland as Premier League winners, Champions League winners, " said Boyle,

:idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Jesus. Talk about Hype-tastic.........everyone needs to walk the walk before they can talk the talk

...did I just say that? crikey...

Guest BooBoo

Even before Ashley, i was backing the idea of giving Sam a few years to get and right, rather than lynching him when things hit a bad patch.

Guest Knightrider

The new owner will have to be very supportive and patient with Sam Allardyce and will hopefully be sold on his way of running a football club because the last thing we need is for those vital off-pitch foundations to go on being ignored like they have done for years now.

It has taken the outgoing board long enough to finally get the message regarding these all-important missing links here at United, so to suddenly change direction before the new manager has even started, could set a dangerous precedent; the boom and bust mentality that clouded Shepherd's management which has lead us to this course of action - new manager, new owner.

If we get rid of Big Sam after a year and replace him with a big name foreign manager that to me would signal that no manager here at United will be here for the long-run and that will always put the club at the mercy of a crisis just waiting to happen.

And if there are no foundations to fall on, any success delivered by a big name manager will quickly dry up and we'd forever be trapped in a vicious circle similar to the Hall and Shepherd years, only with more money wasted.

In short, lets make sure history doesn't repeat itself.

No doubt Ashley will sit down with Allardyce and the two together can get cracking on what is a massive job to turn us around. And if Sam is as impressive as he was in his press conference, I'm sure Ashley will be won over.

Here's hoping anyway.  :thup:

Not a chance in hell.

Our average spend is £8m a year, more or less the same as Liverpool.

I meant our average outlay rather then our average net outlay, which I assume is what your talking about there.  After all its unlikely the £270 million talked about will disclude money gained from player sales.  If it does we'd be looking at a whole lot more then £54 million per season (I realise this is all theoretical and based on paper talk of course).