Owen impressed by Big Sam

Guest NIToon

Guest NIToon

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=469474&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=2&title=Owen+impressed+by+Big+Sam&channel=football_home&

Michael Owen has spoken in encouraging terms of his first impressions of Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce, even if the striker has still stopped short of confirming he will stay at St James' Park next season.

Owen, speaking publicly about his club future for the first time since Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd challenged him to commit himself to the Tyneside outfit, has also revealed that further talks are planned with Newcastle's new manager as speculation continues to surround his own future.

Allardyce made securing Owen his first priority upon taking the job on Tyneside, as the England international is believed to have a £9million release clause and has been linked with a number of clubs as a result.

Whilst the former Liverpool man still has not fulfilled Shepherd's wish, Owen admits he has been impressed with Allardyce's vision for the club.

"Now that I am back from injury, I wish the season did not stop next week," wrote Owen in his column for The Times.

"I feel strong and I've had a good chat with Sam Allardyce about his plans for Newcastle.

"He came to the England team hotel last week to have a chat with me and Kieron Dyer. He is obviously going to shake the place up.

"He sounded very thorough, talking about everything from dietary advice to injury prevention as well as improving results.

"We are planning to meet again when he returns from holiday."

Owen's primary concern at present is England's two fixtures against Brazil and Estonia, when the striker will win his first full caps since suffering a serious knee injury during the World Cup finals.

The Newcastle star has now signaled his return to fitness, starting the recent B international against Albania, and is determined to press on with chasing Sir Bobby Charlton's international goalscoring record.

"I've played in four matches since I came back from injury and I know my finishing touch has not deserted me because it is going great in training," Owen continued.

"Steve McClaren hasn't felt the need to ask me how I'm feeling. I think he can judge from his own eyes and I would like to think all the signs have been positive.

"The goal will come soon enough and, I believe, plenty more after that. I haven't given up my hope of breaking Bobby Charlton's goalscoring record for England."

Back pedal anyone?

£9m Champions League release clause:

Chelsea - Not in the market for a new striker unless they sell their £30m flop which will be hard to shift and they'd have to take a huge cut. Owen doesn't fit the Jose profile and certainly not his 4-5-1.

Arsenal - Can't afford a pot to piss in. Henry & Wenger uncertain of their future, Wenger would look elsewhere as the club would struggle with the fee nevermind his daft wages.

Liverpool - Where he wants to be, Rafa does not want him, the club can go over his head and sign him, but Owen just wouldn't get the love or games and Rafa would probably walk.

Manu - Just spent £50m on 3 players confirmed last night, 3 players Fergie said he would sign are now a done deal, cue Owen's twitchy arse and finally some public communication to the NUFC fans.

Fuking prick.

£9m Champions League release clause:

Chelsea - Not in the market for a new striker unless they sell their £30m flop which will be hard to shift and they'd have to take a huge cut. Owen doesn't fit the Jose profile and certainly not his 4-5-1.

Arsenal - Can't afford a pot to piss in. Henry & Wenger uncertain of their future, Wenger would look elsewhere as the club would struggle with the fee nevermind his daft wages.

Liverpool - Where he wants to be, Rafa does not want him, the club can go over his head and sign him, but Owen just wouldn't get the love or games and Rafa would probably walk.

Manu - Just spent £50m on 3 players confirmed last night, 3 players Fergie said he would sign are now a done deal, cue Owen's twitchy arse and finally some public communication to the NUFC fans.

Fuking prick.

Summed up very well imo!

Well if we get £9m that would go towards buying a pretty good striker who could compliment Martins. Owen and Martins won't gel IMO, so we don't really need both. Owen's a great finisher, but doesn't contribute much else. If he wants to leave it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Wnger may be flogging Henry to Barca but getting Eto'o as part of the deal, he won't be going after Owen..

Saw it on SSN's this morning:

Eto'o + £17m,

yeah that 'deal' is about to happen.  :lol:

Martins isn't a perpetual crock though. Anyway, my take is that no one will buy Owen at £9m and he will stay put, probably have a decent season under Big Sam and all this will be put to bed. If not £9m will do.

Guest Toon83

Michael Owen has still not came out and said 100% that he is staying, WTF is going on, all he needs to do is come out and say I am staying and people will get off his back and let him get on with preparations for next season

Not sure why people are so hung about what he has or has not said.  Does it really matter?

Yes, we paid alot of money for him.  BUT, he has been here two seasons and managed more games for England in that time than he has for us.

I could not care if he stays or goes - not like we are getting value for money anyway.  I can understand why he has not said anything - from the day he joined he has been close to the "exit door" according to the press.

Its the press selling stories IMO.  If there was a clause I am sure someone would take a punt at 9M, why not.  However, they fact they have not would suggest the clause is not there and FS and the Club have simply priced him out of a move even if one has been made.

If he is here next season and plays well - great.  If not, frankly could not give a toss.  This club is not about Owen anyway.

I for one, will be more worried about the support the new manager in getting the right people in and making this place rock again.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/arsenal/article1811322.ece

One of the most credible sports sites on the net said that Arsenal have £40 million to spend.

But i dont feel Arsenal will be after a striker in the summer! (Especially Owen).

Although i did see it once reported that Arsenal and England Physio Gary Lewin had been reporting back to Wenger about his injury status!

Not surprised he's said it. I'd be quite surprised if he were to leave this summer, and i've said this from the start, because people just won't pay for him. He'll atleast stay this season, and see if Allardyce can re-group him and get his career firmly back on track. Stepping stone to a move in 12 months time, i would have thought.

Yeah I think it could be a case of Owen not responding tothe pathetic rant from Shepherd in the press, not a row he wanted to get into in the public eye. The talks with Sam seem to have gone well and I bet Sam got to know one way or the other if Owen plans on staying or going.

Furthermore, Owen has often spoken off seing out his Newcastle contract due to him not wanting to move his eldest kid out of his Newcastle-based school. Being a family man first, and a footballer second, Owen is only likely to hop off if a really appealing offer comes through, and if that is the case, then who are we to stop him?

It would be the fault of Shepherd/Roeder/Souness if he hada get-out clause, not Owen.

Guest devlin_adl

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/arsenal/article1811322.ece

One of the most credible sports sites on the net said that Arsenal have £40 million to spend.

But i dont feel Arsenal will be after a striker in the summer! (Especially Owen).

Although i did see it once reported that Arsenal and England Physio Gary Lewin had been reporting back to Wenger about his injury status!

And yet:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/article1863879.ece

So on May 19th, The Times says that Arsenal have £40m to spend. 12 days later, the same paper says that Arsenal have £15m to spend. Is it any wonder that people don't believe the press?

Furthermore, Owen has often spoken off seing out his Newcastle contract due to him not wanting to move his eldest kid out of his Newcastle-based school. Being a family man first, and a footballer second, Owen is only likely to hop off if a really appealing offer comes through, and if that is the case, then who are we to stop him?

It would be the fault of Shepherd/Roeder/Souness if he hada get-out clause, not Owen.

Exactly. Amazing given how much stick Shepherd/Souness get, that people don't realise this might not have been Owen's doing.