Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We got him on the cheap from Man City

5.5m for Barton is not cheap, imo.

Speed £5.5m - 1998

Hamann £4.5m - 1998

Dyer £6m - 1999

Maric £3.5m - 1999

Bassedas - £4m - 2000

Jenas - £5m - 2002

Viana - £8.5m - 2002

Parker £6.5m - 2005

Emre £3.8m - 2005

A selection of central midfield players over the last decade who have signed for us. Look at the prices even as far back as when we bought Speed. I don't think we've got a bad deal at all in terms of a transfer fee considering he's proven Premiership quality. If he does half as well as Speed then we're on a winner.

I agree. It's a fair price.  Liverpool paid £24m for Cisse and Diouf.  Man Utd paid £28m for Juan Sebastian Veron.  Chelsea paid £24m for SWP.    They're on about £10m for this Fernandes who might be good but he's far from proven.  I think it's a good deal.

they would have been fair prices if they done the bizz,if barton is crap for us then it will be seen as a bad price

I reckon Barton and McKay went into SJP wanting £70k a week. Shepherd baulked and turned them down. Barton & agent left saying they were going to listen to West Ham under the guise of him 'considering Newcastle's offer'. Shepherd bottled it and offered them the £70k they wanted before they even got on the A19. Barton & co turn the 4x4 around and head back to SJP laughing their tits off.

All hypothetical and I can't prove any of it. Just my cynical self reading between the lines. 

To be fair Midds, I reckon whatever we were going to put on the table West Ham would better anyway.  West Ham will offer players 10 grand more than other clubs because it's the only way they'll get them to sign.  If it was all about money he could've kept on driving and used that as a bargaining tool for getting 80k a week off those animals.  My take on it anyway. 

We got him on the cheap from Man City

5.5m for Barton is not cheap, imo.

Speed £5.5m - 1998

Hamann £4.5m - 1998

Dyer £6m - 1999

Maric £3.5m - 1999

Bassedas - £4m - 2000

Jenas - £5m - 2002

Viana - £8.5m - 2002

Parker £6.5m - 2005

Emre £3.8m - 2005

A selection of central midfield players over the last decade who have signed for us. Look at the prices even as far back as when we bought Speed. I don't think we've got a bad deal at all in terms of a transfer fee considering he's proven Premiership quality. If he does half as well as Speed then we're on a winner.

I agree. It's a fair price.  Liverpool paid £24m for Cisse and Diouf.  Man Utd paid £28m for Juan Sebastian Veron.  Chelsea paid £24m for SWP.    They're on about £10m for this Fernandes who might be good but he's far from proven.  I think it's a good deal.

they would have been fair prices if they done the bizz,if barton is crap for us then it will be seen as a bad price

Aye but £5.5m isn't going to bankrupt us, I don't think this is a gamble, I think we'll get value for money genuinely.  How many good players have you seen made look average in a shite team.  A really good example is Freddie Kanoute, he wasn't absolute pish at West Ham and Spurs, but look at him now he's with a really quality team, it's the same with Joey Barton, playing with better players will make him a better player. 

I reckon Barton and McKay went into SJP wanting £70k a week. Shepherd baulked and turned them down. Barton & agent left saying they were going to listen to West Ham under the guise of him 'considering Newcastle's offer'. Shepherd bottled it and offered them the £70k they wanted before they even got on the A19. Barton & co turn the 4x4 around and head back to SJP laughing their tits off.

All hypothetical and I can't prove any of it. Just my cynical self reading between the lines. 

To be fair Midds, I reckon whatever we were going to put on the table West Ham would better anyway.  West Ham will offer players 10 grand more than other clubs because it's the only way they'll get them to sign.  If it was all about money he could've kept on driving and used that as a bargaining tool for getting 80k a week off those animals.  My take on it anyway. 

exackhly (he is a scouser),it is a good sign for us that he didn't even want to talk to the appy ammers in the end

Quite possibly the way they're throwing money at players this summer tbh. Still think they pulled a fast one and used West Ham's interest to get a better deal for themselves.

Not quite on a par with Seth Johnson signing for Leeds like but not far away like.  :lol: 

Noty been following this thread. 

So has he signed then?  Like actually signed this time, not on the way to West Ham for talks or anything, or still fannying around in some manner?

:lol:

You git.

So has he signed then?  Like actually signed this time, not on the way to West Ham for talks or anything, or still fannying around in some manner?

:lol:

You git.

:o

Uncalled for!  Take that as a yes, though. 

Did you see the size of Willie McKays Ale Gut just now on SSN.

What a fat c*** he is and i'm not surprised either with the fees he's raked in just off us, never mind any other club.

Did they do an interview with him or was it just him walking with Barton?

He was holding the car door waiting for Barton to get in the car.

Barton mumbled a few words to the Sky Bloke and McKay said nowt.

The thread title? The 'currently happening' thread you were just asking me about? :o

I checked that, just making sure! It's been confirmed for in the morning once already, to be fair.  Not by us, Sky I mean.

The thread title? The 'currently happening' thread you were just asking me about? :o

I checked that, just making sure!  It's been confirmed for in the morning once already, to be fair.  Not by us, Sky I mean.

Well they fucked that one up. This time he's actually been to Newcastle for talks and all that.

All we are waiting for is a fax from Man City to complete the deal.

He left SJP to think things over and then came back a short time later to agree to sign.

Signs officially in the morning (Fax permitting!)

All we are waiting for is a fax from Man City to complete the deal.

He left SJP to think things over and then came back a short time later to agree to sign.

Signs officially in the morning (Fax permitting!)

signs officially usually means signed hours ago but lets have some pics of himsigning a blank sheet of paper

Guest pont-toon

London evening standard reckons West Ham offered the 70k per week whereas we offered 50k per week !

Guest TheOrder

Fucking fax?

This the eighties?

We gots the emails now, comprende?

Cheers guys. 

Wasn't trying to be awkward Dave

All work and no play makes Bluf lose touch.

London evening standard reckons West Ham offered the 70k per week whereas we offered 50k per week !

:cheesy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats more likely. i could just about handle 60k like.

From the times:

Allardyce will hope the chance to land the first blow will prove decisive as he closes in on a man he has identified as one of his top summer targets, although reports from the capital suggest West Ham are ready to offer Barton a lucrative £60,000-a-week pay packet to lure him to the south.

Now why would we give him an extra £10k a week for?

From the times:

Allardyce will hope the chance to land the first blow will prove decisive as he closes in on a man he has identified as one of his top summer targets, although reports from the capital suggest West Ham are ready to offer Barton a lucrative £60,000-a-week pay packet to lure him to the south.

Now why would we give him an extra £10k a week for?

to employ an electronic tag minder ?