Nodding In Approval At Allardyce...

Guest Knightrider

Nice article. Reflects the positive mood tbh.

At first, I thought it was a very "plausible and realistic-sounding" mickey-take by a Spurs or Everton supporter.  Just gently putting us in our place!

Maybe it is.

I'm not looking for an argument with anyone, but I just find it difficult to accept that statement about Everton/Spurs, as being genuinly "positive".

Guest s0ftcore

Spurs and Everton came in 5th and 6th respectively. She probably meant we'd be one of the clubs pushing for top 4. I won't disagree with her on that.

But this Spurs fan doesn't :lol:

From the 05/06 edition of the F365 mailbox -

Hurrah For Fans Like This

Hello Guv,

Is Sarah Winterburn having a laff? Glory Boys Spurs in the second tier of English football? We are right up there in the elite now luv. Why can't people see after the two seasons we've had we've basically cracked it?

There ain't a hope of Arsenal finishing above us next season, with the boy Bale and a few others coming in we should be looking at top three not top four. All you mugs who think the Glory Boys ain't going top three are muppets.

Yid Army!

Alan Bailey

Spurs and Everton came in 5th and 6th respectively. She probably meant we'd be one of the clubs pushing for top 4. I won't disagree with her on that.

Hello Guv,

Is Sarah Winterburn having a laff? Glory Boys Spurs in the second tier of English football? We are right up there in the elite now luv. Why can't people see after the two seasons we've had we've basically cracked it?

There ain't a hope of Arsenal finishing above us next season, with the boy Bale and a few others coming in we should be looking at top three not top four. All you mugs who think the Glory Boys ain't going top three are muppets.

Yid Army!

Alan Bailey

Misguided diatribe

Hello Guv,

Yid Army!

Alan Bailey

That's laughable. The only reason they came close to Arsenal at the end of the season this year is because Arsenal stopped trying at the end, when they were guaranteed 4th place. They had so many draws in April and May because they didn't care. The Spurs are good, sure, but they are far from elite.

Guest BooBoo

How refreshing (woodpeckertastic) is to see Allardyce actually getting good quality in early in the close season, rather than farting about like a Souness or Roeder and then panic buying at the last minute!?

Excellent to see.

:clap:

Its amazing what a manager can do when he has a f**cking plan isn't it. 2 players in that improve our squad, I think Parker and Barton are on par but I really think that Barton will be fully motivated to do well. I think he craves the big stage and now he has been offered it. Viduka improves our strike force and gives it balance, plus he is a canny goalscorer. He won't play 38 league games next season but he'll be a very valuable member of the squad. If he can follow up these signings with Baines and Ben Haim as the press suggested and also possibly Giuly then we would have a very quality looking team. Would like to see us linked to some right backs though!

I really hope that now he has got a midfeilder and a striker he can spend the majority of the summer concentrating on defenders. Haim would be quality on a free but it would have to be just a start, we need full backs and centre halfs, if he can get a few of them then we might actually start the season with a genuine reason to be optomistic.

Any news on n'zogbia, it all seems to have gone quite, hope its because hes gona stay!

Guest graemeh72

As most people on here, I'm not a huge Sam fan.....

however, he has a vision he is doing a fantastic job of selling his vision to players and getting them to sign

Lets not forget that Joey Barton didn't even bother speaking to West Ham after chatting to Sam

Well Done Sam, what you said must have been impressive

and he hasn't spent a penny yet ... still got £1.5m in the bank

so happy at the minute ,a long way to go but hey i feel great as wor lass has decided giving head to me is not such a bad thing after all  :-[   

oh dear my delete key wont work how do i get rid of that last bit  >:D

from IC Newcastle

Allardyce has already declared his determination to shake things up behind the scenes at St James's Park and he may have caused a bit of a stir on Tyneside by suggesting the club's training ground, which was only built five years ago, is already out of date.

He said: "While it's a massive football club, it's achievement has been minimal over the last few years. I'm here to try to change that and we are going to try to get as many things as we can in place for the start of what will be a very important first season for me. I want to make the training ground better. It isn't a place for professional footballers to work on a day-to-day basis.

"This is a squash club converted. My vision in the long term is to create an all-encompassing building that would excite everybody who walks through the door every day.

"The players will be in a rush to get here and they won't want to go home as quickly as they do now.

"That's the long term and then there is the short term which is the most important at the moment."

------------------------

Guest elbee909

from IC Newcastle

Allardyce has already declared his determination to shake things up behind the scenes at St James's Park and he may have caused a bit of a stir on Tyneside by suggesting the club's training ground, which was only built five years ago, is already out of date.

He said: "While it's a massive football club, it's achievement has been minimal over the last few years. I'm here to try to change that and we are going to try to get as many things as we can in place for the start of what will be a very important first season for me. I want to make the training ground better. It isn't a place for professional footballers to work on a day-to-day basis.

"This is a squash club converted. My vision in the long term is to create an all-encompassing building that would excite everybody who walks through the door every day.

"The players will be in a rush to get here and they won't want to go home as quickly as they do now.

"That's the long term and then there is the short term which is the most important at the moment."

------------------------

So much for the amazing training ground facilities that Fred put in place, eh.  Immediately dissed!

Newcastle's only top-quality centre-half of the last ten years has been Jonathan Woodgate, and he was made of balsa wood. Kevin Keegan ignored the issue,

Errrrrr... It was Keegan who bought Philippe Albert and he has played inside the last ten years at Newcastle. Better buy than Woody for a mile. Not as good player than woody  but had much more influence to the team and he wasn't ALWAYS injured...

Albert wasn't as good as Woodgate defensively, but he had flair (for a defender) and gave our play an added dimension.

All hypothetical, but decent article. Have to disagree though that Barton's problem is with his temper. Stubbing cigars in a teammate's eye, and trying to rearrange the face of another - there's something more sinister to that than mere temper. Don't even recall the notorious Vinny Jones going that far.

Albert was a sweeper, born for that role. Able to bring the ball out with great finess, strong going forward, good at sweeping up whilst the two centrebacks around him did all the donkey work. IIRC thats where he played for Belgium. But he was never a "good" centreback for me in a standard 4-4-2. Adequate, yes, but not strong defensively. A poor comparison, but take Gooch for example in some of his better games for us - not really shiite, definately not good, but somewhere in between. Albert was for me a slightly better versino of Gooch with alot of class on the ball thrown in as a bonus.

Howey was a "good" centreback, and had the potential to maybe be better than good - easy to forget he was going to partner Tony Adams in Euro 96 before an ankle injured - but he was regularly crocked, especially whenever his form improved and he looked like he might be turning into our defensive lynchpin. Never really did anything for us, and

So shes right, the only "top" defender weve had since coming into the Premiership has been Woodgate.

As most people on here, I'm not a huge Sam fan.....

however, he has a vision he is doing a fantastic job of selling his vision to players and getting them to sign

Lets not forget that Joey Barton didn't even bother speaking to West Ham after chatting to Sam

Well Done Sam, what you said must have been impressive

and he hasn't spent a penny yet ... still got £1.5m in the bank

I'm becoming a bloody massive Sam fan!

from IC Newcastle

------------------------

So much for the amazing training ground facilities that Fred put in place, eh.  Immediately dissed!

A squash court with a new coat of paint. :lol:

from IC Newcastle

------------------------

I was thinking that too, I seem to recall they talked about having visited Milan? I think it was, and building a state of the art training complex. They certainly bragged about it at the time.

Guest elbee909

from IC Newcastle

------------------------

I was thinking that too, I seem to recall they talked about having visited Milan? I think it was, and building a state of the art training complex. They certainly bragged about it at the time.

"It isn't a place for professional footballers to work on a day-to-day basis."

That's hugely damning.  No-one around to defend the amazing investment by the old board then?  Wonder what the training ground was like _before_ we slapped some dulux on the squash courts.

from IC Newcastle

------------------------

"It isn't a place for professional footballers to work on a day-to-day basis."

That's hugely damning.  No-one around to defend the amazing investment by the old board then?  Wonder what the training ground was like _before_ we slapped some dulux on the squash courts.

Tear the place down and start again tbh.

I want to recreate an atmosphere that is a pleasure to come to. So I will look around the training ground quickly and improve that facility. It is a fantastic facility but there is always room for improvement. It might be a picture here, a window there, it might be a personal touch.

I am sure if they start working with me they will start enjoying what they do. They will get up in the morning, look forward to training. I don't want a miserable environment. I want a happy environment with smiley faces."

String Freddy up from the tyne bridge for not buying those pot plants.

I was on the understanding it was a brand new training facility specifically built for the job not a converted squash club :rolleyes:

same here ,state of the art etc .and for st james park i had a tour with school kids and could not believe how shabby it looked around the changing room areas and the walk up to the pitch just looked tatty and i wonder how it compares to other clubs . any thoughts

I was on the understanding it was a brand new training facility specifically built for the job not a converted squash club :rolleyes:

It used to be the Civil Service Squash Club.  I went there lots of times as a kid with my Dad who played squash there.  I remember it being pretty basic even for a squash club in the late 70's / early 80's.