Club Captain

Guest DavB93
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For those saying Barton... :lol:

I cannot even begin to describe the disgust of the thought. To give the captaincy to someone who just joined the club, what kind of message would it send to the existing players? Would he have the respect of the players?

More importantly, how would Barton feel about it? I think players need to be at a club for a certain period before they can appreciate it fully. Besides, it would give the false impression that he's the star at the club now and we dont want that. What we want is a repentant player hungry to prove his doubters wrong. Giving him the captaincy would change all that.

Does it matter how long he's been here? People are talking about Butt being captain yet he's only been back here a season after being sent out on loan because all the fans hated the bloke, how long a player has been at the club doesn't matter in the slightest as long he's capable of leading the pack.

Then you have to ask what you want from your captain, I want someone who refuses to be second best and has the mentality of a winner, someone who will bollock the remaining 10 players if they let their heads drop and lead by example by his hunger to succeed on and off the field, I want someone who has the balls to come out and say what we're all thinking if things are not going right, not like Shearer who backed Souness until the bitter end.

All arrows point to Joey Barton as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with all of that. :nods:

It also gives a kick up the backside to all the others already here, there is a new regime in place now, no resting on laurels.

I cannot even begin to describe the disgust of the thought. To give the captaincy to someone who just joined the club, what kind of message would it send to the existing players? Would he have the respect of the players?

More importantly, how would Barton feel about it? I think players need to be at a club for a certain period before they can appreciate it fully. Besides, it would give the false impression that he's the star at the club now and we dont want that. What we want is a repentant player hungry to prove his doubters wrong. Giving him the captaincy would change all that.

Totally agree with your points.

I think Shay Given for me is the outstanding candidate in his testimonial year.

Steven Taylor certainly has all the attributes for me to succeed him.

Would be disappointed to see Nobby Solano get the Captains armband.

Barton, he'll open his mouth, the rest won't. I reckon he's already been promised it and it played a massive part in his decision to sign, BS will build the team around him and I have no doubt Barton will thrive on the responsibility and become a player of Gerrard type leadership. For me a lot of his past problem stem from frustration of playing in a shit team going nowhere with shit players and not being given the stage he truly wants to perform on....he's got that now.

For me Barton to be one of the best players in the PL this season. O0

Guest kmdnufc

Barton, he'll open his mouth, the rest won't. I reckon he's already been promised it and it played a massive part in his decision to sign, BS will build the team around him and I have no doubt Barton will thrive on the responsibility and become a player of Gerrard type leadership. For me a lot of his past problem stem from frustration of playing in a s*** team going nowhere with s*** players and not being given the stage he truly wants to perform on....he's got that now.

For me Barton to be one of the best players in the PL this season. O0

I don't know about that but he's been far more attack minded than Butt, Emre and Parker put together.

Does it matter how long he's been here? People are talking about Butt being captain yet he's only been back here a season after being sent out on loan because all the fans hated the bloke, how long a player has been at the club doesn't matter in the slightest as long he's capable of leading the pack.

Then you have to ask what you want from your captain, I want someone who refuses to be second best and has the mentality of a winner, someone who will bollock the remaining 10 players if they let their heads drop and lead by example by his hunger to succeed on and off the field, I want someone who has the balls to come out and say what we're all thinking if things are not going right, not like Shearer who backed Souness until the bitter end.

It also gives a kick up the backside to all the others already here, there is a new regime in place now, no resting on laurels.

I'm of the belief that no new signings should ever be given the captaincy. Not at any self respecting club anyway.

To illustrate my point, consider the following scenarios:

- Gerrard/Terry joining Man Utd/Arsenal (Neville/Henry not exactly captain material)

- Shearer joining in 1996

- Gerrard joining Chelsea

- Maldini/Totti joining us

All these players suit Baggio's criteria for a captain, should they be given captaincy upon joining a new club? More importantly, would their respective manager do it?

Also, if you look at captains of various successful clubs, I think you'd find one common trait, i.e. an extended affliation with the club.

For sure we do not have obvious captaincy candidates currently so why not give it to experienced players like Butt/Solano, interim captains who'd be phased out in a couple of years. By which time Taylor/Barton may be ready to take on the responsibility.

I'm of the belief that no new signings should ever be given the captaincy. Not at any self respecting club anyway.

To illustrate my point, consider the following scenarios:

- Gerrard/Terry joining Man Utd/Arsenal (Neville/Henry not exactly captain material)

- Shearer joining in 1996

- Gerrard joining Chelsea

- Maldini/Totti joining us

All these players suit Baggio's criteria for a captain, should they be given captaincy upon joining a new club? More importantly, would their respective manager do it?

Also, if you look at captains of various successful clubs, I think you'd find one common trait, i.e. an extended affliation with the club.

For sure we do not have obvious captaincy candidates currently so why not give it to experienced players like Butt/Solano, interim captains who'd be phased out in a couple of years. By which time Taylor/Barton may be ready to take on the responsibility.

But Neville and Henry are still at the club, you wouldn't strip any player of the captains arm band to give it to a new signing, however we don't have a captain so the point is irrelevant, however if Henry and Gilberto wasn't at Arsenal and they signed Gerrard then I wouldn't be surprised if he was made captain, in fact I'd expect it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Toon83

Dont know if this has been posted but i just noticed an article in todays sunday sun, with quotes from Big Sam coming out and saying that Joey Barton is captain material, but wont get the armband next season.

Interesting quotes, so this in my opinion only leaves Butt, Taylor, Nobby, Given and maybe a new signing yet to come as captain material.

quotes (Big Sam):

"Joey Barton, captain? Initially no - he has enough responsibilty to the newcastle fans to show them what a good player he is  - but in the long term, maybe"

"I've been to busy to think about the captaincy, behind the scenes, as i get to know the players and their characters, i will try to assess the right person to take the armband.

"It is a difficult decision for me and a big task for many of the players. A good strong, determined character is needed as well as ability. This is a great place to play, but it can also be difficult."

"But it is not beyond the realms of possibility that shay maybe captain."

sounds like he really isnt sure who is going to be captain yet, maybe we will have something clearer after the austria tour.

sorry but i couldnt find a link so i took the quotes directly from my copy of the Sunday Sun

Any thoughts on this?

Guest Toon83

Surely has to be Given this season? Who else is an automatic starter with that much experience?

Doesnt have to be about experience, just a good character

as Big sam says: "A good strong, determined character is needed as well as ability."

so maybe Taylor falls into this category

Surely has to be Given this season? Who else is an automatic starter with that much experience?

solano???

Nowhere near being an automatic starter, especially with the likes of Geremi/Beye rumoured to be coming and Milner/Dyer already being here.

Nowhere near being an automatic starter, especially with the likes of Geremi/Beye rumoured to be coming and Milner/Dyer already being here.

It doesn't have to be an automatic starter to be the club captain.

It needs to be somebody who others can look up to and take on some extra responsibility.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

on the subject of Barton, there should be a clause in his contract that we can retract all his wages and rip up his contract if he attacks another member of the playing squad

solano???

keepers arent a driving force in a team say like a CM or a CB, so is it not a bit risky having a keeper as a captain?, especially a keeper like Shay who isnt exactly the most commanding.

Butt will not start every game

Solano will be on the bench at best if Geremi arrives, and that's looking very likely

Given cannot captain a defence let alone a team

Taylor is too young, too rash, and has the intelligence of a drunk/stoned Beckham

leaves Emre, Owen, new signing

Guest optimistic nit

Solano will be on the bench at best if Geremi arrives, and that's looking very likely

Taylor is too young, too rash, and has the intelligence of a drunk/stoned Beckham

those two would be worse than any of the ones you've discounted :lol:

Guest teepee

i reckon it will end up being owen - not the best captain in the world, but acceptable - especially if it will help keep him at the club

those two would be worse than any of the ones you've discounted :lol:

how would Emre be worse?