Club Captain

Guest DavB93
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest redmayne

luque

for turning up to training under roeder "im not biased sibierski is just a great player and you're all stupid for thinking duff isnt playing good football"

CUNT!

Guest redmayne

i don't think taylor is ready

i'd go with given if he was an outfield player but i think butt might be a better choice if he gets games

to think of it even owen might be a good choice (i'm off to be sick now)

Guest redmayne

barton next season if he sorts himself out and becomes the driving force and the angel of the north :-)

Guest Sam04je

Why not just wait and see who we buy first?

Sol Campbell for me...

Obviously we need to sign him first.

Guest redmayne

campbell?

he's like ledley king

dumb....

nah we need a fighter... campbell only fights over ass... hence we need butt :-)

I have mentioned the before but the armband should probably not be given to a single player instead "co-captains" should be assigned to Solano and Given with Solano being captain when he plays (hopefully at RB) and Given the next choice.

Regardless of what the Captain really needs to do the amrband itself is a magnet for criticism from the crowd. One of the primary reasons we saw a decline in Parker's form (and his exit) was the fact that he was made Captain. Many expected way too much of him and the pressure and the (negative) supporters got to him - also importantly it made him difficult/awkward to drop. This is one of the true Legacies of Shearer and he is still too recent a memory for the Club. No one can compare and no one will be as resiliant or less suseptible to criticism.

Now Butt being made Captain would be a disaster IMO. He is even more fragile than Parker (in the confidence stakes) one f*ck-up from him and it would be the Semis at Wembly all over again. The crowd would be on his back and we would see the worst of his performances. I still don't trust him and don't think he has anything close to true leadership abilities however experienced he may be as a player. He is introverted like Shay and only seems to get outside of himself when the team is playing well - when we are doing poorly he doesn't say a word and even his body language withdraws from the team. A terrible choice - I can't believe how many people compare him to Speed (shameful IMO - Speed is 10 times the player Nicky is especially when it comes to leadership abilities). Think of teh times we have gotten into trouble on the pitch between players and how Speed (when he played for us) was invariably the first person to intervene (especially when it was Bellamy as he was clearly his 'minder'). Now witness the infamous Dyer-Bowyer bust-up. Butt was only about 15 feet away and Gareth f*cking Barry is the first one to arrive at the scene to try to break it up... and while Nicky looks on (powerless and dispassionate) our slowest player Stephen Carr marches up (at least 20 yards) to be the second on the scene and then -only then- does Nicky reluctantly get involved with the rest of both squads arriving in support.

I am hoping Barton (and other new signings) will be a very talkative member of the team and act as a "leader" on the pitch in the way that Madras described with the actual armband worn by a "fan's favourite" Nobby or Shay (Owen certainly does not qualify IMO). That way we avoid the negative consequences of expectation and Shearer comparison. Also I still don't feel comfortable with anyone other than Nobby taking our penalty kicks at the moment.. but that could change.

Guest redmayne

co captains

sounds like NFL or some other mental sport

nah lets keep one fighter to drive the men forward

worked in all world wars

and lets not forget calimag

we are the ONLY country to win both world wars

you guys fight on your own and lose

;_)

Viduka..that will be class!

Indeed. A just reward for all he's done for us.

Doesn't have to be given to someone who has done anything for us imo.

Give it to the best candidate. Not that i'd pick Viduka, like.

Taylor is definitely captain material, but not yet.  Maybe when he has more experience, but not at his age.  I think the armband had a hugely detrimental effect on Reo-Coker at West Ham, and whilst I think Steven has a good head on his shoulders, I'd not put that kind of pressure on anyone that young.

Viduka..that will be class!

Indeed. A just reward for all he's done for us.

Doesn't have to be given to someone who has done anything for us imo.

Prefer it to go someone who at least has had a few games under his belt wearing the black and white. Giving it to a new singing isn't unheard of, but it's not something I'd go for personally unless we're dealing with a very special player.

Butt, though i'm not sure him and barton can play together

Butt behind Barton could be possible.

But neither are creative, which is our main problem.  Do we not need a creative man alongside our tough tackling barton?  If butt and barton could work, then i'd think parker and barton would work, in which case we should have kept parker.  But i don't think it would.

Since the same names are being thrown around perhaps the Mods or the original poster could add a poll:

Solano

Butt

Given

Taylor

New Signing

Added.

How do people expect Given to organise a team, when he can't organise a defense?

The same could be said about Solano.

Naff post. :D

Our defense became considerably more organised when Nobby went into the backline; apart from his calmness back there, that was the thing that i was most impressed with.