Newcastle (don't) chase Giuly

Greg

Guest johnson293

But with the Premiership's top clubs likely to want further proof of his fitness, Owen may stay put at Newcastle until at least January, when his release fee - which drops by 25 per cent a year - would stand below £9 million.

Ermm...WHAT :knuppel2:

That's just shocking

If that is the case, that the release fee drops that much in January, and subsequent windows, then I say offer him an extension, and if he doesn't sign it, then sell him now.

So, we have to let him go for £9m now, or potentially let him go for about £7m in January??

Wont be long before he decides to sit it put and go for nothing in two years time!

I don't see the problem with the clause tbh. It's natural. Two-years left on his contract = £9m clause, in a years time we can't justify the same fee, so £6.75m is about right for someone like that with just a year left considering he joined Real Madrid for £8m from Liverpool when he only had a year remaining.

I don't see the problem with the clause tbh. It's natural. Two-years left on his contract = £9m clause, in a years time we can't justify the same fee, so £6.75m is about right for someone like that with just a year left considering he joined Real Madrid for £8m from Liverpool when he only had a year remaining.

I would like to know how many other clubs but clauses in players contracts allowing them to leave for almost half of what the club paid for them 2 years down the line. My guess is not many!

Guest johnson293

I dont want us to sign Giuly, he has PL flop written all over him..

For me he has Ginola/Robert written all over him!

Would probably become a typical french winger for us, make a great initial impact, then become a player who drifts in and out of games, scoring the occassional spectacular goal.

Not syaing he isn't any good, as I haven't seen much of him (only Youtube clips), but Ginola/Robert is the first thing I think of.

Would probably become a typical french winger for us, make a great initial impact, then become a player who drifts in and out of games, scoring the occassional spectacular goal.

Not syaing he isn't any good, as I haven't seen much of him (only Youtube clips), but Ginola/Robert is the first thing I think of.

He is getting on, he would only be here for a couple of years anyway.

Guest Verlaine

Just because he's French and a winger?

Not really much to base your opinion is it?

Guest sittingontheball

I've never really seen Guily play (don't watch La Liga), but he seems to score a fair bit for a winger "with no end product". 25 goals in 85 for Barca.  One in three and a bit games is Pires level, not Ginola or Robert.

Guest johnson293

Like I say, I haven't seen, and don't know much about him.

However, if he's as good as others are saying, I'd love him to join us and prove me wrong.

I agree 100% there btw. Offer him a year-extension, on the exact same wages, bonuses, etc. but without the get-out clause. If he rejects, then sell asap.

This assuming that anyone actually wants him for £9m. Its a lot of money for a player who is far from a bang on certainty of being properly fit

Guest johnson293

I agree 100% there btw. Offer him a year-extension, on the exact same wages, bonuses, etc. but without the get-out clause. If he rejects, then sell asap.

This assuming that anyone actually wants him for £9m. Its a lot of money for a player who is far from a bang on certainty of being properly fit

My worry is though, that he stays through this transfer window, and by some miracle or other plays through to January without injury (or at least serious injury), and scores a few goals for us. If todays rumours are correct, he will then still be eligible to leave under a min. release clause, but that clause figure will have dropped by 25% (circa £2.2m, down to £6.8m ish).

One of the big four may then decide he's worth the risk at that price, and snap hm up - leaving us with a hole to fill up front mid-season.

If he isn't gonna come out and commit himself for the full forthcoming season (at least), I would rather just get shot of him now, for £9m - at least we have time to buy another striker who would wnat to be here, in time to prepare for the whole season.

EDIT: And, in a round-about kind of way, I think that is what Sam is trying to do today - putting th onus back onto Owen, by stating he can't stop him leaving, and hoping that it may push Owen one way or another. Similar to what Shepherd tried to do (demanding statement of commitment), just in a better, more subtle way.

Really?..  Overmars is the first thing I thought of when I saw Giuly play..  I don't know what his temprement is like but from watching him in clips I certainly wouldn't liken him to Robert or Ginola as a player.

Aye SSN were alover this, thismorning reporting the fee as £15mill

great news if true like, but we shall just have to wait and see.

Although it dors mean another French winger/whinger.. :D

Can't see any French clubs barring perhaps Lyon being able to afford his wages though.

Its been Marseille reported as interested. That article from France Football saying that they wanted him but probably couldnt match his Barcelona wages.

I've been told that Spurs are not pursuing their interest in Giuly.  Newcastle, Boro and Celtic are all offering 'significantly' more in wages than Spurs are prepared to offer.  My guess is Spurs were offering around £40/45k and yourselves and Boro and Celtic are around the £60k mark.

Spurs in the meantime have €20m (£13.5m approx) bids on the table for David Silva and Wesley Sneijder.  Levy would be happy to get one but is prepared to fund both if we can get both.

Personally, would be delighted with either or both but I'm a bit dubious whether they would go to a team with CL aspirations rather than a CL team.