When was the last time NUFC really stuck with & developed a player?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

And I'm not talking about someone coming through the youth ranks. When did we last buy an unfinished article, stuck with that player and that player developed into a fine player for us? I'm asking because I think this is a very important aspect of the club that hasn't always been in effect. Just look at the number of players we have bought, often for good money, who weren't retained after a poor start, or whose game never developed at all. There have been too many. And this has obviously affected our ability to challenge and compete for honours and has came at a high cost financially.

The reason I ask is because I see a lot of "Martins will never come good for us" or "we'll never win things with Martins in our side", comments all based on his weaknesses. Yet staggeringly he is only 22 and it isn't beyond reasonable doubt that he can improve. I say improve, scoring 17 goals and setting up numerous others in his first ever season in English football leading the line for a mid-table team, is not to be sniffed at or overlooked, which many seem to do while banging on about his footballing brain, control or movement.

These kind of things are also said about other players.

Well we will never ever win anything or get anywhere if we keep peddling players who are not the finished article and I think it's nigh time we started developing these very players we dismiss far too easily.

BTW wasn't it Bellamy who was the last player we stuck by and developed? If so I find it ironic that many would like to see him back here and in place of Martins... even if it would cost us £12m or whatever.  :nope:

NUFC fans are far too impatient when it comes to players and their games. At any other club Martins would be seen as a bright star of the future, a talent worth sticking with. Same goes for Milner, Taylor and others who get slagged rotten or labeled as players who will never fulfil any potential. Well they fucking won't if we aren't prepared to give them the time required.

Dyer, Bramble and Ameobi have been given years to come good.

We've stuck with Bramble and Ameobi because we'd struggle to move them on, not because they were talented players we want to develop.

Guest Knightrider

And they are the ones who want peddled or who have had their chance. In the meantime the likes of Taylor, Martins, Milner et al get written off because, well they aren't world-class.

It will get even worse now that we are owned by a billionaire :(

And they are the ones who want peddled or who have had their chance. In the meantime the likes of Taylor, Martins, Milner et al get written off because, well they aren't world-class.

It will get even worse now that we are owned by a billionaire :(

Not if he invests more in the academy.

I suppose in the coming season Charles N'Zogbia could be used as an example.

Newcastle officially signed N'Zogbia on 2 September 2004.

Season 2004-2005 - 14 apps (3 UEFA apps) - new youngster at club with some flashes of ability. (Manager - Bobby Robson / Graeme Souness)

Season 2005-2006 - 37 apps 5 goals - a resounding success last season. (Manager - Graeme Souness / Glenn Roeder)

Season 2006-2007 - 22 apps (7 UEFA apps) - disappointing and problems with attitude. (Manager - Glenn Roeder)

Season 2007-2008 - ? (Manager - Sam Allardyce)

Craig Bellamy

A much better footballer when he left compared to when he signed. Movement, composure and build-up play where much better and he went on to play the best football of his career at Blackburn. Not to mention we sorted out his knees.

He improved through sheer hardwork and determination.

I'm always banging on about Taylor but that's just because I think he's tremoundsley over-rated by some here (captain ffs), i think hes a promising player who needs to develop.

Guest Knightrider

Craig Bellamy

A much better footballer when he left compared to when he signed. Movement, composure and build-up play where much better and he went on to play the best football of his career at Blackburn. Not to mention we sorted out his knees.

I'm always banging on about Taylor but that's just because I think he's tremoundsley over-rated by some here (captain ffs), i think hes a promising player who needs to develop.

Taylor as captain is not exactly outlandish not when we aren't exactly full to the top with captain material.

I'd still say Given.  Even though Bellamy left better than when he arrived, he didn't become a regular goalscorer until he got to Blackburn.  And even now at Liverpool he appears to have regressed.  I still think he's a very raw talent.

Craig Bellamy

Taylor as captain is not exactly outlandish not when we aren't exactly full to the top with captain material.

We could atleast start with players that have proved themselves consistently at Premiership level. He hasn't done anything to say that he's much better than Bramble.

Guest Knightrider

Craig Bellamy

We could atleast start with players that have proved themselves consistently at Premiership level. He hasn't done anything to say that he's much better than Bramble.

Now you're being daft, he has made a few mistakes and had a few wobbly games true, but he's only 21 so that's to be expected. Overall though he's looked a decent prospect given he's been playing in a Newcastle United back-four which would probably give even the likes of Jon Terry sleepless nights. In my opinion of course.

I'd still say Given.  Even though Bellamy left better than when he arrived, he didn't become a regular goalscorer until he got to Blackburn.  And even now at Liverpool he appears to have regressed.  I still think he's a very raw talent.

He hasn't regressed it's just at Blackburn he was the star player, where he gained alot of confidence. He was involved with everything, he was the first player the others looked for. Blackburns passing style of football also suits Bellamy much more than Liverpool's often direct approach. Not too mention starting poorly and drifting in & out of the side.

Craig Bellamy

Now you're being daft, he has made a few mistakes and had a few wobbly games true, but he's only 21 so that's to be expected. Overall though he's looked a decent prospect given he's been playing in a Newcastle United back-four which would probably give even the likes of Jon Terry sleepless nights. In my opinion of course.

True but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is not a proven EPL player. I agree he looks a prospect but he's nowhere near the finished article & could well go the Bramble route. Captain my arse, he needs to show that he can cut the mustard at this level.

Guest Knightrider

Craig Bellamy

True but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is not a proven EPL player. I agree he looks a prospect but he's nowhere near the finished article & could well go the Bramble route. Captain my arse, he needs to show that he can cut the mustard at this level.

He does, I agree. However I think such a responsibility could really be good for his development myself. As far as I can see there are no outstanding candidates and I personally don't think experience is an issue regarding the captaincy, so am open minded to the suggestion. Why not.

Craig Bellamy

Taylor has held the defence together this season. Bramble is far more accident prone and when both are at their best Taylor is still the better player. If he can play like he is with crap around him imagine what he could be like with an established back 4

Craig Bellamy

He does, I agree. However I think such a responsibility could really be good for his development myself. As far as I can see there are no outstanding candidates and I personally don't think experience is an issue regarding the captaincy, so am open minded to the suggestion. Why not.

Because he may not prove himself to be deserving of a first XI place. He'll probably think he's a big time Charlie if he's given it. Once he proves that he is a good defender then we can talk about captaincy. Why not give it to the Zog? He's shown as much promise as Taylor, why hasn't he been mentioned? Is it home grown Geordie lad bias?

I want to see more performances from Taylor like he played against Arsenal at SJP last season. He was immense that day. If he can find more consistency then he can go on to become one of the best defenders in the Premiership in a few years.

Craig Bellamy

Because he may not prove himself to be deserving of a first XI place. He'll probably think he's a big time Charlie if he's given it. Once he proves that he is a good defender then we can talk about captaincy. Why not give it to the Zog? He's shown as much promise as Taylor, why hasn't he been mentioned? Is it home grown Geordie lad bias?

Give it to Le Strop? No thanks.