Liverpool have no money to spend?

Dokko

Simple as that. If Darren Fletcher can make a contributiojn to Man U and SWP can make a contribution to Chelsea then I don't see why Benayoun isn't good enough for a Liverpool team with high aspirations.

They've already got Fletchers and SWPs, what they need is Rooneys and Ronaldos.

I agree for liverpool to actually challenge the top 2 then they need to be buying one or two world class players and not just squd players they already have enough of those to survive a long campign on 2-3 fronts

But a lot of those types of players are leaving. Zenden,Kewell & Gonzales for starters which leaves fuk all down the left, and only Pennant down the right. Garcia is another possibility but he is total hit and miss anyway.

They need worldclass signings, but they'll also need the like of Benayoun to fill in the gaps. 

true and squad players keep getting older so I know what your saying but like us they have a list of priorities and while I feel we need to add 5-6 squad players sinse we are really short I see that the big money and energy needs to go in to the big world class big hitter type signings and then work on bringing in one or two, I really dont think they should be proud enough to act shrewd get players on loan, swap as part of deals to get rid of the shite they dont want to get better in. They dont have a bad squad but they will soon feel their "third best" slot slip away if they dont invest this year, as they cant count on the rest of the league playing catch up forever

The Liverpool task this season isn't as easy as it 1st looks, especially when you've got an issue over the budget ATM.

Rafa has done an average to good job spending money so far, although his reliance of La Liga must come to an end if he want to have a title race next season. EPL proven players cost though, and if he wants one or two stars on a £40m budget then he's stuck as fuk, and time is running out to capture those types of players that Liverpool desperately need.

Liverpool have a good keeper & a solid defense, but a big injury to Carragher and that defense would be very stretched over the season, their strikeforce is strong but not scoring enough goals, there is not genuine goalscorer amongst them, all of them are setup/support or worker type forwards, they need someone to finish it all off on a constant basis and for a top four club, they have fuk all down the flanks.

That's a lot of issues to address at once, especially on a £40m budget.

we will crush them then next season......

I dunno its hard we have learned the hard way loose players in important areas and you suffer.

Liverpool have not felt that to the same extent loose Gerrard and they are fucked, strikers are fine but like us something is lacking in midfield as you expect them to get more.

They are really at a cross roads as much as us, being taken over does not leave them minted and while rafa will still be licking his lips at the prospect of 40+ million to help him develop the squad I agree if he wants world class it will buy him 2-3 players max not enough to cope for a full season and challenege but as many people have written there is almost a bigger gap from third to second than there is from 10-5th at the moment testiment to how powerful chelsea and manu are at the moment

I was quite worried when all the links with Villa, Eto'o, Henry, Berbatov, Malouda, etc etc were coming out. Benayoun's just another average PL player in the Zenden/Pennant type bracket. I'd be dissapointed if I was a Liverpool fan.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

POSSIBLY THE MOST STUNNING POST EVER!!!

Benayoun is better than any midfielder at Tottenham at the moment. FACT!!!

Put him in that liverpool team and you wait and see what happens.

Have you ever seen him play?

This coming from a person who thinks Murphy's one of the most underrated players ever. Give me a break.

Benayoun's a classy, elegant player on his day. He's not f****** Ronaldinho though. I've seen him have excellent games and dreadful games, and I have Spammer mates who say he's one of those who just doesn't turn up some days. I stand by what I said, and that's that in the grand scheme of things, on a scale of Premiership midfielders, I'd put him somewhere just above middle. Possibly around a kind of Malbranque level. Is that good enough for Liverpool and their aspirations? I don't think so.

You're a pretty weird one. What do Danny Murphy or Ronaldinho have to do with anything. Stick to the topic of conversation.

Is Benayoun better than all of Tottenham's midfielders? YES.

Simple as that. If Darren Fletcher can make a contributiojn to Man U and SWP can make a contribution to Chelsea then I don't see why Benayoun isn't good enough for a Liverpool team with high aspirations.

Danny Murphy because it was probably one of the funniest things I've read this week and shows how questionable some of your views are on certain players, and Ronaldinho because you're bigging Benayoun up to completely ridiculous proportions.

Is your opinion a fact? NO. I would certainly take Lennon at 20 years of age with 5 goals and 13 assists over Benayon at 27 years of age with 5 goals and 3 assists.

The point is, Liverpool don't even have a strong enough first team to compete with Utd and Chelsea. They need real quality, players who could be considered the best in the league, to bridge that gap. Benayoun is nowhere near that.

Right ... let me get this straight, so because I said Benayoun was better than Tottenham's midfielders I am bigging him up to Ronaldinho's level?

So what your saying then is that Ronaldinho is the only footballer who is better than your midfielders?

What was that about questionable views again ...  :shifty:

Errm, no. Look back at your posts and notice the tone of it. It was more the 'WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW' as if it was the most insulting, shocking, outrageous thing you've ever read. And your insistence that he's the one to magically transform the Liverpool team, which is extremely unrealistic.

Why not answer the rest of the points raised?

What was shocking, outrageous and insulting was you comparing Benayoun to Zenden!!! Are you for real?

That definitely deserved a WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

Zenden is a turd, yes. But then again, he's 'achieved' far more than Benayoun can dream of - league titles in Holland and Spain with massive clubs like PSV and Barca, a cup final for Chelsea, a League Cup with Boro and a CL final with Liverpool.

The truth is, Benayoun is the same standard (not type, or in playing style) as Zenden was when Pool signed him. Not that this is a competition, but I'm willing to bet that there are more that agree with me than agree with you. Clearly then, I'm not insane.

We clearly have differing opinions of him though. It's all subjective, and we're not going to get anywhere with this. So I'll stop.

It was never an argument, so no worries. Just each person expressing their opinions that's all.

I won by the way ...

:razz:

I agree for liverpool to actually challenge the top 2 then they need to be buying one or two world class players and not just squd players they already have enough of those to survive a long campign on 2-3 fronts

But a lot of those types of players are leaving. Zenden,Kewell & Gonzales for starters which leaves fuk all down the left, and only Pennant down the right. Garcia is another possibility but he is total hit and miss anyway.

They need worldclass signings, but they'll also need the like of Benayoun to fill in the gaps. 

true and squad players keep getting older so I know what your saying but like us they have a list of priorities and while I feel we need to add 5-6 squad players sinse we are really short I see that the big money and energy needs to go in to the big world class big hitter type signings and then work on bringing in one or two, I really dont think they should be proud enough to act shrewd get players on loan, swap as part of deals to get rid of the shite they dont want to get better in. They dont have a bad squad but they will soon feel their "third best" slot slip away if they dont invest this year, as they cant count on the rest of the league playing catch up forever

The Liverpool task this season isn't as easy as it 1st looks, especially when you've got an issue over the budget ATM.

Rafa has done an average to good job spending money so far, although his reliance of La Liga must come to an end if he want to have a title race next season. EPL proven players cost though, and if he wants one or two stars on a £40m budget then he's stuck as fuk, and time is running out to capture those types of players that Liverpool desperately need.

Liverpool have a good keeper & a solid defense, but a big injury to Carragher and that defense would be very stretched over the season, their strikeforce is strong but not scoring enough goals, there is not genuine goalscorer amongst them, all of them are setup/support or worker type forwards, they need someone to finish it all off on a constant basis and for a top four club, they have fuk all down the flanks.

I dunno its hard we have learned the hard way loose players in important areas and you suffer.

Liverpool have not felt that to the same extent loose Gerrard and they are fucked, strikers are fine but like us something is lacking in midfield as you expect them to get more.

They are really at a cross roads as much as us, being taken over does not leave them minted and while rafa will still be licking his lips at the prospect of 40+ million to help him develop the squad I agree if he wants world class it will buy him 2-3 players max not enough to cope for a full season and challenege but as many people have written there is almost a bigger gap from third to second than there is from 10-5th at the moment testiment to how powerful chelsea and manu are at the moment

IMO, and this will rile Liverpool fans, there isn't much difference between the team Rafa inherited and the one he's got now.

Its still a lopsided, and considering he's had the time and the money he should have a better squad. However you cannot argue with what he's done in the CL, and has brought Liverpool back to one of Europe's elite in that competition, but has in the meantimes neglected the need for certain players in a tough league, namely consistent ones.

GH had a 5 year plan to deliver the league and was driven out when he didn't manage it. How long will Rafa get? What year is this 3, 4? Also Rafa started with a much better team and it wouldn't surprise me if he's spend the same in his time here as GH.

Guest Triglett

I was quite worried when all the links with Villa, Eto'o, Henry, Berbatov, Malouda, etc etc were coming out. Benayoun's just another average PL player in the Zenden/Pennant type bracket. I'd be dissapointed if I was a Liverpool fan.

This coming from a person who thinks Murphy's one of the most underrated players ever. Give me a break.

Benayoun's a classy, elegant player on his day. He's not f****** Ronaldinho though. I've seen him have excellent games and dreadful games, and I have Spammer mates who say he's one of those who just doesn't turn up some days. I stand by what I said, and that's that in the grand scheme of things, on a scale of Premiership midfielders, I'd put him somewhere just above middle. Possibly around a kind of Malbranque level. Is that good enough for Liverpool and their aspirations? I don't think so.

You're a pretty weird one. What do Danny Murphy or Ronaldinho have to do with anything. Stick to the topic of conversation.

Danny Murphy because it was probably one of the funniest things I've read this week and shows how questionable some of your views are on certain players, and Ronaldinho because you're bigging Benayoun up to completely ridiculous proportions.

Is your opinion a fact? NO. I would certainly take Lennon at 20 years of age with 5 goals and 13 assists over Benayon at 27 years of age with 5 goals and 3 assists.

The point is, Liverpool don't even have a strong enough first team to compete with Utd and Chelsea. They need real quality, players who could be considered the best in the league, to bridge that gap. Benayoun is nowhere near that.

Right ... let me get this straight, so because I said Benayoun was better than Tottenham's midfielders I am bigging him up to Ronaldinho's level?

So what your saying then is that Ronaldinho is the only footballer who is better than your midfielders?

Errm, no. Look back at your posts and notice the tone of it. It was more the 'WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW' as if it was the most insulting, shocking, outrageous thing you've ever read. And your insistence that he's the one to magically transform the Liverpool team, which is extremely unrealistic.

What was shocking, outrageous and insulting was you comparing Benayoun to Zenden!!! Are you for real?

Zenden is a turd, yes. But then again, he's 'achieved' far more than Benayoun can dream of - league titles in Holland and Spain with massive clubs like PSV and Barca, a cup final for Chelsea, a League Cup with Boro and a CL final with Liverpool.

The truth is, Benayoun is the same standard (not type, or in playing style) as Zenden was when Pool signed him. Not that this is a competition, but I'm willing to bet that there are more that agree with me than agree with you. Clearly then, I'm not insane.

We clearly have differing opinions of him though. It's all subjective, and we're not going to get anywhere with this. So I'll stop.

It was never an argument, so no worries. Just each person expressing their opinions that's all.

I won by the way ...

:celb:

IMO, and this will rile Liverpool fans, there isn't much difference between the team Rafa inherited and the one he's got now.

Its still a lopsided, and considering he's had the time and the money he should have a better squad. However you cannot argue with what he's done in the CL, and has brought Liverpool back to one of Europe's elite in that competition, but has in the meantimes neglected the need for certain players in a tough league, namely consistent ones.

GH had a 5 year plan to deliver the league and was driven out when he didn't manage it. How long will Rafa get? What year is this 3, 4? Also Rafa started with a much better team and it wouldn't surprise me if he's spend the same in his time here as GH.

its a strange effect arsenal do so shite in the champs usually and good in the league

liverpool are close but not so close but last couple of seasons have excelled in the champs.

I guess it depends what squd your developing as I do think unless you have a massive squad then you cannot say that its a similar style that wins you the league as it does the champs.

rafa still has loads to prove and I feel that he wont be given much longer to make waves particular if they do spend big now 40m doesnt sound alot but to a fan its massive and Im sure they feel they are only 1-2 players off pushing whoever is running for second next season

Guest kingdawson

I won by the way ...

No you didnt tbh. You ask stupid questions like what have our midfielders achieved but what the hell has Benayoun achieved??

Jenas's goals and assists record takes a serious dump on Benayouns record (the season that evryone was raving about him). Lennon had an inconsistant season last season and still trebled Benayons assist record.

Yep Benayoun is great :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest Triglett

Jenas won a PFA Young Player of the Year Award, putting him in the same category as Giggs, Beckham, Owen, Gerrard, Rooney and Ronaldo. But seriously, what has he ever achieved?

Back to the original post - Liverpool did not achieve this past season (by thier own standards) despite spending loads of money on some very good players. The money and the number of players was significant and this is why the Press are like circling vultures over Rafa instead of over "Emirates Stadium." Arsenal has never really competed with ManU, Chelsea or even us in the spending stakes and last year Liverpool really spent big money. The Press desperately want one of the new billionaire owned clubs to fail so they can print their hyped articles with Schadenfrued. I wouldn'y worry if I was a Liverpool supporter though because it will mostly likely be us that fits the prescriptive narrative here.

I guarantee next year there will be similar articles about us swirling around and since Mr. Ashley is notoriously reclusive there will be dozens of unnamed club insiders saying: "Mr. Ashley don't even speak to Big Sam anymore... they aren't on speaking terms... he's getting the silent treatment..." etc. b*llshit etc.

Liverpool seem to be able to match the other members of the big four in matches between them, and in European competition. Somehow, they're a bit more vulnerable against lesser opposition, and that's the difference between winning the league and winning a cup, which they've proved they can do.

My only thought is that the others have that bit of extra quality in one or two players - Drogba, Rooney, Henry - that can score or create a goal out of nothing. They'll get you that 1-0 win at Bolton in the last ten minutes, rather than have you coming away with 0-0.

Bobyule, that is for me the difference aswell!

If you had a player like that in your team it not only guarantees you a good few "matchwinners" but it also guarantees that the team go out with more confidence knowing you have a world class striker and the opposition come out a little bit mor weary....

I would honestly say that our strike force at this moment in time looks much more potent than yours, Liverpool definitely need David Villa or Etoo to seriously challenge the big boys, and also a couple of decent wingers FFS!!

Liverpool seem to be able to match the other members of the big four in matches between them, and in European competition. Somehow, they're a bit more vulnerable against lesser opposition, and that's the difference between winning the league and winning a cup, which they've proved they can do.

My only thought is that the others have that bit of extra quality in one or two players - Drogba, Rooney, Henry - that can score or create a goal out of nothing. They'll get you that 1-0 win at Bolton in the last ten minutes, rather than have you coming away with 0-0.

Gerrard is just that. Still doesn't work out for them.

Kevin Phillips once won the European Golden Boot putting him in the same category as Gerd Muller, Eusebio, Thierry Henry, Ronaldo & Marco van Basten.

Can you see how ridiculous that looks? :lol:

:lol:

I like how Kingdawson pulls up Jenas scoring record as if that proves he's some sort of great player, only to not see the irony in saying Kevin Nolan is an average midfielder who scores goals.

Kevin Phillips once won the European Golden Boot putting him in the same category as Gerd Muller, Eusebio, Thierry Henry, Ronaldo & Marco van Basten.

I like how Kingdawson pulls up Jenas scoring record as if that proves he's some sort of great player, only to not see the irony in saying Kevin Nolan is an average midfielder who scores goals.

Liverpool have not felt that to the same extent loose Gerrard and they are f*****, strikers are fine but like us something is lacking in midfield as you expect them to get more.

Gerrard was missing for a few months in 2004/5. Our results were actually better while he was out (points/game) than when he was playing. He might be our best player, but he's not as important to us as, say, Henry is to Arsenal. In our case, we really missed Garcia this season, never more so than in Athens, but our squad is strong enough so that the wheels won't fall off with one or two injuries to key players.

Rafa has spent about £48m net so far. Houllier spent £64m net, and there's a world of difference between the two squads. There were massive holes in the squad Houllier left, which Rafa has now plugged. There's now great balance in the squad and a lot of tactical options, as Rafa goes for versatile players different to what he has. We're all still waiting for him to sign a decent striker and winger, though. He's signed five of each since he arrived, and we're still looking...

The Euro form is largely a matter of focus. We've always been out of the running for the league by the time the knockout rounds start in the CL, so Rafa has focussed on these games, resting players and investing massive amounts of preparation. Our style of play is definitely more suited to continental footie, too.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Chelsea and ManU both have several match-winners. We only have Gerrard and Garcia who will occasionally produce a goal out of nothing. We have a squad full of top-division-level grafters, and we need a couple of outstanding players (like we had with Fowler, Owen or McManaman) who can get us the extra goals we need to compete. We also need to improve our record against Chelsea and ManU. We have a defence as good as any and our midfield has bossed the best in Europe, but we don't score enough goals from any part of the pitch.

Guest kingdawson

As you conveniantly forgott, i also mention the countless other skills Jenas possesses in his game. Other then scoring goals can you please tell me what else Nolan does??

As you conveniantly forgott, i also mention the countless other skills Jenas possesses in his game. Other then scoring goals can you please tell me what else Nolan does??

Nolan's dominant in the air, has decent link up play and he also works his bollocks off battling for the ball, he's still average though as his passing and movement are poor.

Jenas is good at stretching play and running from deep, he's poor in the air and he's a poor passer unless he's passing it backwards or sideways, he's also a soft shite.

Both average midfielders who chip in with a few goals, neither a patch on Joey Barton.