Spurs bid for Darren Bent

geordie2000

Guest nufcandy

what i wana know is why spurs seem to think its their god given right to buy EVERYONE

What I wanna know is why some fans believe everything they read in the papers.

dont read the papers ta

£17m is mental.

12 million max from us.

No mate, you're paying £17m. Regardless of what you make back by selling another (equally as good) player, you're paying £17m.

Which, in the words of every sane person on the planet, is sheer lunacy.

Takes inflation to new levels.

I'll take Viduka on a free, thanks.

Paying more for Bent than we did for Owen or even Shearer is fuking laughable. How much did Manu pay for RVN?

This is the kind of talent you should get for close to £20m, the lad hasn't even had an International career FFS!

£19m for RVN iirc.

The Owen* argument is inevitably going to come up. But, regardless of the hindsight bonus, Owen is an absolute class above Darren Bent, or atleast was back then.

*Whom we signed from Madrid, having fended off competition from Man Utd and Liverpool... Spurs are getting Bent off lowly Charlton, with competition from the Spammers.

£19m for RVN iirc.

The Owen* argument is inevitably going to come up. But, regardless of the hindsight bonus, Owen is an absolute class above Darren Bent, or atleast was back then.

*Whom we signed from Madrid, having fended off competition from Man Utd and Liverpool... Spurs are getting Bent off lowly Charlton, with competition from the Spammers.

I'll be shocked if the Spuds pay that much for him. I know AMS just sold his remaining shares to ENIC, so i wonder if he's been holding them back from big targets, but they simply do not need a £17m striker, and Bent is not worth that money to the Spuds. WHU on the other hand need strikers, have too much money so it works out well for them.

If Spuds didn't have Defoe & Keane, or were selling Berbatov then i'd sort of understand the bid, however this is just the Spuds having a look as they always do with every player, but offer crap wages and lose out each time. (Parker x2 & Duff for example)

Guest BillyRay Valentine

rooney and maybe little mickey apart, english strikers currently scratching around the league are toss.

bent, defoe, crouch, don't make me laugh. these are £6-8mil players at best, yet theres an endless stream of cretins willing to pay double that for these chancers - its balls i tell you, balls

Guest BillyRay Valentine

ahhhh yes the good old days - i blame johnny foreigner myself. damn and blast his eyes with his realistic transfer fees, tactical awareness and educated background

People being ignorantly harsh on Darren Bent here.

He is far from a one season wonder. Scored alot of goals for a poor Charlton side as a lone striker, is still relatively young and will only get better.

Granted not worth much more than 9m really, but whilst there are suckers willing to give up their money...

I don't see Bent as a special player. He seems to rely alot on his physcial power as apposed to striker instinct. The likes of RVN, Shearer, Owen, Fowler all had a special eye for goal. For me this lad just doesn't have that, therefore is not worth 16m IMO.

Guest Triglett

rooney and maybe little mickey apart, english strikers currently scratching around the league are toss.

bent, defoe, crouch, don't make me laugh. these are £6-8mil players at best, yet theres an endless stream of cretins willing to pay double that for these chancers - its balls i tell you, balls

Those three players you've mentioned have scored 16, 18 and 17 goals respectively this season. Owen hasn't even played that many games these past couple of seasons  :lol:

Guest Sniffer

I wonder where this leaves Dean ashton and when is he  expected back with his ankle injury? I doubt if he'd fit up front with Bent as they are similar players. Perhaps they think they can get 10 mill back on Ashton.

Guest Triglett

I don't see Bent as a special player. He seems to rely alot on his physcial power as apposed to striker instinct. The likes of RVN, Shearer, Owen, Fowler all had a special eye for goal. For me this lad just doesn't have that, therefore is not worth 16m IMO.

What, so he just bundles the ball in? Strength is an asset, but that alone won't get you goals.

To me, the fact that he has no outstanding other qualities (isn't technically brilliant, isn't an absolute speed demon, and he's not creative either) and looking at his goalscoring record, suggests to me that he is more of a natural striker whose main forte is simply scoring goals. Strength is an asset, but that alone doesn't get you goals.

----

Gutted about Ledley. I fear it'll be a stop-start career for him now, which is such a shame for him, Spurs and even England. Yet another reason why we can't afford to let a quality defender like Chimbonda go. Our back 4 could be another shambles next season.

Guest meursault1

If Spurs have made a bid he'll go there.

He's a Spurs fan and has already rejected West Ham.

for the record bent is a gooner

his agent is a massive spurs fan though

I get the impression that Jol doesn't like Defoe, or has difficulty in working with him. He may see Bent as a more useful addition to his squad.

Bent is a good all-rounder, but not top class in any respect, and like everyone else I'm baffled at the price.

What, so he just bundles the ball in? Strength is an asset, but that alone won't get you goals.

To me, the fact that he has no outstanding other qualities (isn't technically brilliant, isn't an absolute speed demon, and he's not creative either) and looking at his goalscoring record, suggests to me that he is more of a natural striker whose main forte is simply scoring goals. Strength is an asset, but that alone doesn't get you goals.

----

Gutted about Ledley. I fear it'll be a stop-start career for him now, which is such a shame for him, Spurs and even England. Yet another reason why we can't afford to let a quality defender like Chimbonda go. Our back 4 could be another shambles next season.

That isn't what i mean. I think goalscorers like Bent come around quit alot, Johnson, Saha, Defoe, Baros, Heskey (in his couple of seasons he had) to name a few. These players were never destined to be great players, they score goals for a couple of seasons then just fade into history.

In ten years time i don't think we will look back and say " that darren bent, what a great player he was" in the same vein that we would about those i mentioned first.

He's a good goalscorer for sure, and an asset to any side but i'd want alot more than that for the money talked about.

If Ashton gets 100% fit again when i think he is probably our 3rd best striker. I rate him very highly. Better than Johnson, Defoe and Bent imo. Hasn't got their goal records in the Premiership yet because of inury and relegation but he's a very clever player.

If Ashton gets 100% fit again when i think he is probably our 3rd best striker. I rate him very highly. Better than Johnson, Defoe and Bent imo. Hasn't got their goal records in the Premiership yet because of inury and relegation but he's a very clever player.

Exactly. Nearly everyone i speak to rates Ashton very highly. It has been along time since football fans and pundits have been united in praise of this kind to a youngster. The last time was Rooney.

TBH it won't be long until he over takes Owen to become Englands number one striker. Him and Rooney would be mouth watering TBH.