Kanoute

stozo

Guest Triglett

I think one of the reasons we sold him was because he didn't turn up to our pre-season tour of Mauritius.

It's only now that people have started to recognise his talent, and I think he was generally a very underrated player in the Premiership. He was inconsistent, some would say lazy, but his ability is unquestionable. He didn't score many goals, but that's not because he wasn't capable - rather that he was too selfless. He made an incredible contribution to Defoe's goals and overall game, both at West Ham and Spurs, and if you're looking at reasons why Defoe's slowed down over the last couple of years, there's your primary reason. Kanoute was very much a link up man, who needed someone else around him to do the running and create the space. A very gifted player, but one whose game is more suited to the technical leagues like Spain.

Guest Invicta_Toon

we don't mind a lazy striker if he can hold the ball up and bring other players into the game

the fact he is an international for an insignificant country that plays on the other side of the world also bodes well

I remember when we were linked with him under Souness and a lot of people on here were dead against it.

And i'm still against it...I've always thought he was crap in the premierleague and have been watching a few Seville games and I just laught at how crap he is...21 stupid goals even Ameobi would have done that...

People were against it then and that was for around £2-3m.

Had a belter of a season for Seville though. Always thought he was a bit inconsistent in the premiership. An upgrade but not a hugely greater improvement on Ameobi, albeit he does have the right to claim he can score 20+ goals a season.

Anyone else think that this might be in response to Viduka being away for the start of the season? Methinks so!

Perhaps the thought of starting the season with Shola upfront has put the fear of God into Allardyce.

Maybe this also all part of the general shift to the 4-3-3, where we will alternate between Viduka, Kanoute and Ameobi as lone strikers. In which case we can expect some more attacking midfielders coming in who will support them going forward.

Actually ... thinking about it, Kanoute was probably someone we just inquired about in case we didn't manage to get Viduka.

NOTW say the interest is in preparation in case Owen leaves.

Guest mishka17

he had very good season, like forlan in his first in la liga, but look what he's now...returned to his average performances, and his glory and flash gone. i would love to see another striker from sevilla - kerzhakov when we sell owen. he's young, ambitious and very talented. after a while in premiership, he would be a superb fresh supply for us

I like Kanoute, reckon he's a good player. But £7m is a lot of money for someone we don't need, and for someone who will turn 30 at some point next season. He didn't set England alight, either. There'd be him, Viduka and Shola... what would be the point? We're covered in the striking department.

He's performed very well because it's a league he's very comfortable with - there's no guarantee he'd continue the form in England. It'd be a needless gamble for me, for too much money*.

*Exact phrase i'd use for a SWP purchase aswell.

he had very good season, like forlan in his first in la liga, but look what he's now...returned to his average performances, and his glory and flash gone.

17 goals this season just in the league, very average.

Edit: actually it's 19

From NUFC.com: -

Fredi downsizing?

The 59th player to be linked with a move to SJP since Sam Allardyce became Newcastle boss is Sevilla's Malian international striker Fredi Kanoute.

Quoted in the media at the weekend, the French-born 29 year-old's agent said:

"It's true Newcastle are interested. There's no concrete offer yet but Fredi is interested.

Let's recall the words of former West Ham and Spurs player Kanoute back in 2001, before his switch from Upton Park to White Hart Lane:

"I couldn't see myself ever playing for someone like Middlesbrough or Everton. My friend Joseph-Desire Job plays for Middlesbrough and he tells me how quiet it is.

"I come from the city and need to have things going on around me."

"I don't really like the North. It's always raining, it's very cold and I don't like all those little houses. It's not for me."

File this one in the "believe it when you see it" category....

Basically, a lesser quality player. I'm not happy buying players of this calibre, he's not good enough.

A few years of buying players like this and those who complained about buying "trophy players" will realise they were talking rubbish.

"Trophy players" are massively preferable to players like this. Its quality that counts.

It's heart that counts actually, quality is a close second.

I doubt there's anything to this rumour though.

that is a good observation. Count him out on both.

He's a nice lad though, he won't refuse to play out of position when a manager he doesn't get on with asks him to, or owt.

He'll just put the shirt on, walk onto the field, amble around for 90 minutes, then walk off again.

I'm assuming you don't know the position with Owen, will he stay, will he go. Therefore you can't know the situation with Allardyce wanting more strikers or not.

For the record I think Owen is ours at least until january, and probably all season. And therefore Allardyce probably isn't looking at more strikers.

I'd swap Ameobi for Gudjohnsen in a heartbeat though.

Even if he was going to leave, why the hell would he be replaced with Fredi Kanoute?

Not writing it off especially (doesn't seem to be much in it, granted), but i honestly wouldn't understand it. ???

I'm assuming you don't know the position with Owen, will he stay, will he go. Therefore you can't know the situation with Allardyce wanting more strikers or not.

For the record I think Owen is ours at least until january, and probably all season. And therefore Allardyce probably isn't looking at more strikers.

I'd swap Ameobi for Gudjohnsen in a heartbeat though.

Nobody but Michael Owen knows what he wants to do at the minute. We will certainly not be looking to bring anyone in unless he does leave though.

Does it have to be said again that Allardyce doesn't want anymore strikers?

when did he say that ?

He's said on countless occasions since signing Viduka, that defenders are now the priority. Which is absolutely true.

I can't see him signing another striker before he brings in someone for the backline, if at all.

when did he say that ?

He's said on countless occasions since signing Viduka, that defenders are now the priority. Which is absolutely true.

I can't see him signing another striker before he brings in someone for the backline, if at all.

I haven't heard him saying that.

Having brought in a striker and an attacking midfield player, then it is probably right though, as they were by far the most urgent. I would also say that 3 strikers and 2 attacking central midfield players, one of which is injury prone and has completely wasted his ability, isn't enough either.

when did he say that ?

I haven't heard him saying that.

Having brought in a striker and an attacking midfield player, then it is probably right though, as they were by far the most urgent. I would also say that 3 strikers and 2 attacking central midfield players, one of which is injury prone and has completely wasted his ability, isn't enough either.

He said he is happy with the strikers now and said don't believe anything about any players we are linked with other than defenders from now on until we have a new defence in place. He said Viduka is in competition with Ameobi. So as long as Owen and Martins stay then those 4 will be our strikers next season. He never said anything about the midfield though. Theres probably still a midfielder or two to come in after we've sorted the defence.