Allardyce looks at Dutch trio

Skirge

Cant say id be unhappy at getting all of the players mentioned in the article.

Personally i think we could do with two left backs coming in, Baines and Drenthe would be ideal, especially the latter for his vesatility.

If we can get Rozehnal in he can cover CB and DM, Beye can cover RB and CB and hyppia would add great experience.

I thought Sagna had turned us down in favour of Arsenal, time will tell.

Diarra as mentioned in the DM thread would offer us height and brutality in the centre circle.

Babel would be a luxury maybe, and Rigters would offer cover for Viduka and Carroll should he be on loan. (whilst both can play as forwards im not sure either is a target man though)

Brutality???

This ain't Mortal Kombat son!

Must admit i like the sound of Hollands LB Royston Drenthe (could well be just what we need) so i'll be watching with extra interest in tonights game. See how he does in comparrison to our LB Leighton Baines.

Anyone any idea how tall Royston Drenthe is ??

My guess small, about 5ft 5-7.

Looked small imo, could totally be wrong.

This being the case, if we do get him, massive IF i know as sounds like there's huge interest in him. I really hope we get Micha Richards as a RB to add height to our back four even though he'll cost quite a bit. I'm hoping our back 4 looks someting like this:

RAMAGE

NOBBY         HUNTY      EDGAR          EDGAR/BABA

RICHARDS    TAYLOR     ROZEHNAL    DRENTHE

shocking lack of cover in that defence. would need at least another cb and another left back as baba is likely on his way and edgar far from natural in that position.

I'd like to add Campbell to that list ideally, but we are not bleedin Chelski though who can afford several top players for one position and could put a second XI out better than most teams first. Good for teams like us to have players who can do a decent job in more than one position as we can only put 5 on the bench.

If we got a top quality LB in, do we really really need another straight away? Edgar, Baba and Duff can all cover if needs be. Edgar (although used usually as a CB) was awesome (MOM no less) against Man u in that position before Roeder unbelievably/stupidly decided to drop him. Duff was also very good (unusually) at LB when tried. If baba gets sold then yes get someone else in, i don't think he's quite as bad as some make out although admittedly a poor season. Will be interesting if Sam does keep him.

A question : Where you say "Good for teams like us" etc - do you not think we are moving on from that "inferior" position? Or do you think a bloke called Ashley has just thrown £133M into the river Tyne, having suddenly realised he had bought a football club, but had no idea (no PLAN) as to what to do with it? 

Seriously, do you not think we have moved on at all??

Big sam has only just taken over ffs (we don't even know what if anything he has to spend), we can't be comparing ourselves to the Chelski's and man u's of this world just yet. A wee bit premature don't you think?

Do i think we will move on ? - Yes i'm very optomistic that sam (given time) will do well for us and i'm hopefull Ashley will pump some money into our club.

Have we moved on? - Well no we haven't YET, its way too early, a ball hasn't been kicked yet and Sam may be a complete disaster and we could be relegated. 

I dont know, quite like the idea of him turning to Barton after bringing someone down and saying "FINISH HIM!"

Thats beside the point anyways, he is a very physical player, brutality is not out of place in that sentance, although its a mild exageration of his playing style.

Guest mishka17

so let's try out the roeders master plan. a swap-Luque out, Babel in... ofcourse if Big Sam will treat spaniard as our last manager...then we will have a unusefull big wage player in squad

We don't need Babel here next year. He still has a lot to learn.

Agree with you that he has a lot to learn, but believe that now is best time to bid as he will most likely get better and more expensive to buy as time goes on, plus risk is that a bigger club will jump the queue with a good offer.

More of an expensive gamble option, but with possible good return in a season or two.

We don't need Babel here next year. He still has a lot to learn.

Be good competition for Viduka, who we definitely can't expect to play every game next year. Give the lad a season or two to adjust to the Premiership and improve as a player without having the burden of being the main man as we know we can turn to Viduka. Then in a couple fo years when Viduka is done Babel will hopefully be ready to be our leading man up front.

Admittedly not seen much more than a few games with him, the little bit I have seen though he looks a player with potential.

Never heard of the other two but we do need a left-back and preferrably one who can really get forward as well as being solid defensively, so I may watch the game later and see if he looks like a good 'un.

I didnt think Babel was anything like Viduka with regards to hold up play and physicality, wasnt sure he was much of a target man either.

That said i have seen very little of him, admittedly. It wouldnt suprise me to see Sammy boy bring in another striker regardless of the Owen situation, Carroll should be farmed out, Viduka will probably miss the start of the season and shola is shola.

Not so sure on Rigters, but the likes of Babel, Giuly and Diouf we have been linked to are all capable of playing almost across the midfield and upfront, so will be good for covering the absence of Duff or slotting in elsewhere.

Guest Johan

I would hope he plans to sell owen, play 4-5-1 - 4-3-3 and as far as I know Babel should be at his best playing as one of the wide roles in attack.

Must admit i like the sound of Hollands LB Royston Drenthe (could well be just what we need) so i'll be watching with extra interest in tonights game. See how he does in comparrison to our LB Leighton Baines.

This being the case, if we do get him, massive IF i know as sounds like there's huge interest in him. I really hope we get Micha Richards as a RB to add height to our back four even though he'll cost quite a bit. I'm hoping our back 4 looks someting like this:

RAMAGE

shocking lack of cover in that defence. would need at least another cb and another left back as baba is likely on his way and edgar far from natural in that position.

I'd like to add Campbell to that list ideally, but we are not bleedin Chelski though who can afford several top players for one position and could put a second XI out better than most teams first. Good for teams like us to have players who can do a decent job in more than one position as we can only put 5 on the bench.

If we got a top quality LB in, do we really really need another straight away? Edgar, Baba and Duff can all cover if needs be. Edgar (although used usually as a CB) was awesome (MOM no less) against Man u in that position before Roeder unbelievably/stupidly decided to drop him. Duff was also very good (unusually) at LB when tried. If baba gets sold then yes get someone else in, i don't think he's quite as bad as some make out although admittedly a poor season. Will be interesting if Sam does keep him.

A question : Where you say "Good for teams like us" etc - do you not think we are moving on from that "inferior" position? Or do you think a bloke called Ashley has just thrown £133M into the river Tyne, having suddenly realised he had bought a football club, but had no idea (no PLAN) as to what to do with it? 

Seriously, do you not think we have moved on at all??

Big sam has only just taken over ffs (we don't even know what if anything he has to spend), we can't be comparing ourselves to the Chelski's and man u's of this world just yet. A wee bit premature don't you think?

Do i think we will move on ? - Yes i'm very optomistic that sam (given time) will do well for us and i'm hopefull Ashley will pump some money into our club.

Have we moved on? - Well no we haven't YET, its way too early, a ball hasn't been kicked yet and Sam may be a complete disaster and we could be relegated. 

We do not KNOW anything. Is Sam Allardyce going to be a good manager at Newcastle United FC? We don't know. We do not know what money he will have to spend. We just do not know. Does Sam Allardyce need time? We don't know, probably, but we don't know. Prior to Ashley buying the club, that "probably" was a strong "definitely", but is it the same now (post-billionaire)? We don't know. Will Ashley "pump some money into our club"? We don't know. Will Sam Allerdyce be a complete disaster and we will be relegated? We don't know.

Well, as with everything in life, until it has actually happened and we are looking back on it  -  we don't know (what will happen).

OK then, should we always talk, act and think, as if nothing (here at this football club) has (already) changed?  The answer this time is not "we don't know".  The answer this time is NO  -  because of the indisputable fact that a billionaire has spent £133M on our club.

We don't know this next bit (for "certain") but on-the-balance-of-probabilities, our billionaire owner will NOT want to just sit there and let the club 'carry on as before'.

The pivotal change has already happened, and surely some of our thinking / hoping / planning, should reflect this more positively??

The 'new realism' of the world we now live in should (at least) reduce the amount of negative (sometimes seeming-frightened) thinking, that is still quite prevelant. The PAST (our club's immediate past) does NOT any longer forcibly dictate (either in fact or in style) the future of what is in many ways, a NEW club!!

Can't say I've seen enough of Babel to know what his regular position, but looking at this Under-21 game I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up as a center forward target man type. Looks as though in a couple of years he'll be a pretty big fella and he looks quite good at showing for the ball with his back to goal and bringing others into play.

Imagine he's been used as a winger type because he's still young so he's may not be ready to lead the line, yet. As he's pretty pacey he can contribute on the wing, but ultimatey I reckon he'll have to end up as central player where I reckon he could be a very good player.

Drenthe - Good technique and ball delivery, but doesn't have the power, urgency or sense of purpose to make it in the Premiership. Zoggy (2005/06) is better at both full back and left wing.

Rigters - Unimpressive. Couldn't do anything whilst marked by a decent Premiership defender.

Babel - Good on and off the ball, and has some power and urgency, though plays very deep. Not what we are looking for right now, but he could do well at the right Premiership club, which we aren't right now.

As I've said before, I think with the right coaching Babel could be a very, very useful player.

Wouldn't be upset at all with Drenthe, high energy full-back with a great delivery who looks capable of getting up and down the field all day, though there are obvious concerns about him defensively. Another player who could potentially do well.

Ritgers of what I saw today wouldn't be particularly worth getting, though it's the only time I've seen him to be fair to the lad.

As I've said before, I think with the right coaching Babel could be a very, very useful player.

Wouldn't be upset at all with Drenthe, high energy full-back with a great delivery who looks capable of getting up and down the field all day, though there are obvious concerns about him defensively. Another player who could potentially do well.

Drenthe just didn't attack the areas that would have made England vulnerable in my opinion. If that could be drilled into him, he would be a very good left sided player for us, but it is a question of if, as many foreign imports have failed to take heed of the directness of the English game.

Anybody talking about getting the likes of Drenthe and Babel as squad players we groom for the Premiership over the course of several years need to get a perspective on things. Newcastle is a midtable Premiership club and these youngsters are first team players at clubs of equal size to Newcastle in an admittedly lesser league.. There will be better clubs in for them however, and if we are going to compete at all for their signature it´s by offering them first team status.. Neither is going to come here to play in the reserves. They´ll go to bigger clubs if they want reserve team football, or even more likely will stay put where they get first team football..

Anybody talking about getting the likes of Drenthe and Babel as squad players we groom for the Premiership over the course of several years need to get a perspective on things. Newcastle is a midtable Premiership club and these youngsters are first team players at clubs of equal size to Newcastle in an admittedly better league.. There will be better clubs in for them however, and if we are going to compete at all for their signature it´s by offering them first team status.. Neither is going to come here to play in the reserves. They´ll go to bigger clubs if they want reserve team football, or even more likely will stay put where they get first team football..

Drenthe, if bought, would likely be starting at LB.

As for Babel, you need 4 quality strikers in your squad and he'd play plenty of games if he came here regardless. He just wouldn't be expected to be the player we depend on right away, which at his age would be a help rather than a hindrance to him.

Anybody talking about getting the likes of Drenthe and Babel as squad players we groom for the Premiership over the course of several years need to get a perspective on things. Newcastle is a midtable Premiership club and these youngsters are first team players at clubs of equal size to Newcastle in an admittedly better league.. There will be better clubs in for them however, and if we are going to compete at all for their signature it´s by offering them first team status.. Neither is going to come here to play in the reserves. They´ll go to bigger clubs if they want reserve team football, or even more likely will stay put where they get first team football..

Drenthe, if bought, would likely be starting at LB.

As for Babel, you need 4 quality strikers in your squad and he'd play plenty of games if he came here regardless. He just wouldn't be expected to be the player we depend on right away, which at his age would be a help rather than a hindrance to him.

Bigger opportunities will arise for all these players so i don't believe we'll even be an option.

RAMAGE

Where is CARR ?

Who cares?

Guest thenorthumbrian

Allardyce wasn't my first choice but the contrast between his approach and Roeder's is there for everyone to see, Sam seems to have a good idea of a good number of players across Europe and what they have to offer.

Its good to have a manager who is trying to get things sorted now and not panicking with a week of the season about to start.

Guest Verlaine

Drenthe - Good technique and ball delivery, but doesn't have the power, urgency or sense of purpose to make it in the Premiership. Zoggy (2005/06) is better at both full back and left wing.

Rigters - Unimpressive. Couldn't do anything whilst marked by a decent Premiership defender.

Babel - Good on and off the ball, and has some power and urgency, though plays very deep. Not what we are looking for right now, but he could do well at the right Premiership club, which we aren't right now.

Don't pretend you know what you're talking about.

what if he does?

Guest Verlaine

what if he does?

... naaaahhhhh.