Steven Taylor + criticism he gets

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I honestly find it embarrassing and quite sad that a 21 year-old Geordie defender with talent (he does have talent) gets so much stick from admittedly a minority of United fans for nothing more it seems than because some have taken umbrage with the praise, attention and yes hype he gets from others, that and because he's no John Terry.

Aye people do overrate him but that should never take away from the fact that he's a very promising young player and even then, the only way any player can be overrated is if the person claiming the player to be, has been hoodwinked into believing the hype in the first place, otherwise how can he be overrated? In others' eyes...? What about your own?

I digress...

It seems to me some people revel in his mistakes just to say "told you" or actually want him to fail, if only to shut those up who believe he'll one day captain England. I also find it sad that some see his all-action displays as him trying to be some kind of hero or to look hard. I just see an honest desire to win and to compete for every ball.

Watching him in action for the under-21s tonight I was very proud to see our club represented by one of my own who is a fine talent and an obvious whole hearted player. Someone who if coached right, stays injury free, learns from his mistakes and has the right attitude, can go on to be a great player for us and maybe for England one day too.

He is 21 people and no player at that age is ever complete or not going to make mistakes, especially a defender playing in a United back-four. He's had a few poor performances for us but that's to be expected, no? In the main however I think he's been very good since breaking into the team and his performance against Drogba last season set a standard for him which put his talent firmly into perspective. Not many 21 year olds can tame such a player as Drogba, never mind physically dominate him.

Maybe it's just me but I can only detect a few weaknesses in his game, admittedly some quite serious ones if not eradicated down the line, but nothing to stop him becoming a very good player at Premier League level which is fastly what he is becoming and can only get better you imagine, or hope so anyway. I do.

There is absolutely nothing in his game that can't be corrected yet there is lots of things in his game that are spot on despite his age and inexperience. I personally hope he's a mainstay of our defence for years to come and am pleased we have such a player on our books, someone home grown.  We need more of them. :thup:

Always thought he was very promising, but he's got to the point in his career now (age & experience) where he needs to start ironing out those errors. He needs better coaching and players around him to move on, and I have hope that will happen now we've got a proper manager in who recognises the weaknesses in the defence.

I couldn't agree more. When i was watching the match the neet and he made that mistake where their striker got past him, but he got a free kick for it i thought straightaway to myself that there will be a certain few people on here who wouldn't be able to post about his mistake on here quick enough. Some people are definitely willing him to make an error just so they can say "told you so". It makes me wonder even more because we haven't had a quality defender come through the ranks here for years and now we have one who could on to be a genuine top Premiership defender if he is managed right in a good defence. Some people just love to moan though. He will go on to become a very important player for this club for years to come. I'm glad its just the forum moaners who get on his back though, rather than the 52,000 who go every other week.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Definately he's overcriticised and you can tell he's played as a striker. I remember some of his surging runs, fantastic, great spirit. He was fucking brilliant at right back when he first emerged.

He's got a big future ahead of him if we can get an experienced leader in beside him and improve the full back positions. How many different centre back partners did he have last season? And in how many different back four combinations? Dozens. It's not a recipe for success, in fact I've never seen a club who rotate most of their back four every week consistently keep clean sheets.

Allardyce has the right idea going for experience in central defence as we only have Taylor and a couple of almost untried kids, but the hard part will be finding the right man. Woodgate would have been perfect.

The only reason some people are quick to jump on his back is because other people are over hyping him and making outlandish claims about his ability. Both sides need to calm down, he is a player with significant potential but he still has a long way to go.

One thing Souness did get right was to throw him out into the deep end.

I remember in the days of 2003 to 2005 and we had either Bramble or O'Brien taking it in turns to mess up. Sir Bobby played Taylor once in that away game at Bolton and a "mistake" from Steve lead to the winner and that was that, and he hardly got a look in afterwards.

The idea was that we might as well be putting a 18year old who might be making the same mistakes you'll get from an Andy O'Brien, but at least there's a good chance he'll learn a lot from them.

Going to be a big big season for Taylor. Think he'll just grow even more.

The only reason some people are quick to jump on his back is because other people are over hyping him and making outlandish claims about his ability. Both sides need to calm down, he is a player with significant potential but he still has a long way to go.

Agreed.

Same goes for Oba too tbh.

Always been a big fan of Taylor, hence the username, and i hate it when he gets undeserved criticism, and he does get a lot.

But the dives, rasheness, fouls and a couple of poor displays last season need pulling up on.

I don't want him to get away with these errors, simply as i want him to become the best he can be. I have a lot of hope for Taylor, an i think he'll fullfill his excellent potential once the new regime is under way.

I've always believed in him from the start of his career that he can become NUFC captain and also play for England, nothing i've seen so far changes my mind, but there are issues there, and i hope he goes on to sort them this season, if he does, we have a huge talent at the back for the next 10 years, maybe more.

Guest Micktoon

It actually seems to be a trait of a small minority of Toon fans. They love to follow the English tradition of build em up knock em doon. It's the same with Owen, I mean how dare a world class player sign for us and now that he has, he must report to the Angel of the North once a week and pledge allegiance to the club.

Unbelievable critisism he gets of some posters on here, most of it completely unjust (makes me wonder if there are some undercover Makems on here tbh)  :knuppel2:

IMO he's already a good premiership defender (needs a little fine tuning and a decent partner), with the potential to become a premiership great.

Guest teepee

well said HTT!

the unjust criticism of taylor sickens me!

i'd still love to see him play alongside sol campbell for a season or two.

I think every Toon supporting genuinely wants him to be fantastic. So much so that observations become taken as criticism by others. Many of the observations are based upon our personal experience of years of watching potentially good centre backs not progressing as they should.

Taylor needs coaching, for me the 2 biggest areas for him to look at are to stop getting caught square on & I'd lightly strap his arms to his side in training so he can't pull with them.  8)

His commitment last night was brilliant.

Spot on and its something I can never understand. Those overhyping him actually believe what they are saying but those who slate him to try and balance it out obviously don't believe what they are saying so why don't they just give their honest opinions?

Guest David Kelly

I think we're in a similar position with him as we were when we bought Bramble.

A young defender who has a lot to learn and could still go either way.

Which way he ends up going depends a lot on the club.

Bramble was never given a mentor if you like, to learn from (Dabizas also had the same problem when he arrived to a lesser extent).  He played with youngish players who were still learning their trade (O'Brien, Taylor himself, Rammage and even Woodgate to an extent).  What he needed was an old head to help bring him on.

Taylor needs the same and it appears that Allardyce has identified this too.

Coaching also comes into it and again, hopefully, this will be something Allardyce gets right.

If we provide Taylor with what he needs and the lad himself doesn't buy into the hype too much and works hard and keeps his nose clean, then he could become a very good premiership player.

Taylor is a decent defender who could become very good with the right partners, coaching etc. He's the best we've got at the moment, and combining that with the fact that he's come through the ranks and has a huge amount of passion on the pitch is always going to lead to over-rating. As someone said, that's no reason to start declaring him shit.