Steven Taylor + criticism he gets

Guest Knightrider

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=473080&CPID=445&clid=4&lid=&title=Pearce+hails+hero+Taylor

Stuart Pearce has likened Steven Taylor to Terry Butcher after he played through injury against Holland's Under 21s.

The Newcastle defender played the whole of extra-time with an injured ankle as England's youngsters hung on for a penalty shoot-out in the European Under 21 championship semi-final.

Taylor then further showed his character by hobbling up to take England's tenth spot-kick - which he duly dispatched past Boy Waterman to keep England on course for a final berth.

England eventually lost out to the hosts and holders Holland in a marathon shoot-out, but Taylor's efforts could not be questioned and Pearce was full of praise for the 21-year-old.

The Under 21s boss believes the young centre-back will turn out to be a future star for both club and country at senior level.

"He's the closest to Terry Butcher I've seen," Pearce told Sky Sports News.

"I met his father last night and the biggest recommendation I could probably give the kid is that if my son turned out to have a mentality like him, I'd be very, very proud of him.

"I can say no more about the boy.

"The beauty of working with these young lads is you get to know them inside out and as I say what a character this kid's got, unbelievable.

"Ability wise he's impressed me as well. Him and (Nedum) Onuoha have handled everything that's been thrown at them.

"He's an absolute credit to his football club and himself and his family."

Guest optimistic nit

he played no better than bramble last season, and if people are going to criticise him then i reserve the right to criticise taylor, for substandard performances. Granted its not his fault he's in the team at 20, but then bramble was in the team at 20, and he got stick. if he's going to play, and play badly, then i will criticise him.

just to clarify, i still have notw written off taylor as a future star, but he was gash in quite a few games last season. if he is going to play for the first team then he should be treated as a first team player. I don't mean booing the lad if he makes a mistake and asking for him to be sold, but if he plays badly then he should expect critacism. I think spending time as our reserve CB next season could help him alot.

he played no better than bramble last season, and if people are going to criticise him then i reserve the right to criticise taylor, for substandard performances. Granted its not his fault he's in the team at 20, but then bramble was in the team at 20, and he got stick. if he's going to play, and play badly, then i will criticise him.

very true

The only reason some people are quick to jump on his back is because other people are over hyping him and making outlandish claims about his ability. Both sides need to calm down, he is a player with significant potential but he still has a long way to go.

That's all that needs to be said tbh.

Guest optimistic nit

The only reason some people are quick to jump on his back is because other people are over hyping him and making outlandish claims about his ability. Both sides need to calm down, he is a player with significant potential but he still has a long way to go.

That's all that needs to be said tbh.

aye thats probably correct blueyes.gif The forum needs balance though.

"I met his father last night and the biggest recommendation I could probably give the kid is that if my son turned out to have a mentality like him, I'd be very, very proud of him.

Is his own son a retard or something?  ???  Or maybe he just told him he is gay, and doesn't like football?  :lol:

Yep.

just to clarify, i still have notw written off taylor as a future star, but he was gash in quite a few games last season. if he is going to play for the first team then he should be treated as a first team player. I don't mean booing the lad if he makes a mistake and asking for him to be sold, but if he plays badly then he should expect critacism. I think spending time as our reserve CB next season could help him alot.

Yep. People acting like he was brilliant last year and it just the others fault, not like he played shit himself. He showed ALOT of promise, has good armour too his game and could go on to become a great player but he could also become Bramble II.

No Newcastle fan wants him to fail but many fans act s if he's already passed the test.

Taylor definitely still has rough edges, but you can see even now that he has the potential to go all the way. Everyone had doubts about Bramble all of his career really. Taylor has the right attitude and he wants to improve. As long as he keeps a steady head and gets a decent defence around him he can really be a quality defender.

Alan Oliver wrote....

"The game had started at 6.15pm Dutch time, and it was 5 hours later when Taylor rang me from the England coach as they made their way from Heerenveen back to their base in Arnhem".

Imagine that! Everyone's probably half asleep on the coach back and in silence as they're so disappointed and then you hear...

"Hello Alan, we're all gutted here. Most disappointing night of my career like. Good news is I haven't broke my ankle! Ok, catch you later."

Alan Oliver wrote....

"The game had started at 6.15pm Dutch time, and it was 5 hours later when Taylor rang me from the England coach as they made their way from Heerenveen back to their base in Arnhem".

Imagine that! Everyone's probably half asleep on the coach back and in silence as they're so disappointed and then you hear...

"Hello Alan, we're all gutted here. Most disappointing night of my career like. Good news is I haven't broke my ankle! Ok, catch you later."

Anal is Palpatine to Taylors Anekin.

Taylor does feed Oliver the odd quote I'd guess. You can tell which players do and don't by the ridiculously positive or negative angles he puts on stories about them.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Exclusive: Martin's shoots at unarmed civilians

Exclusive: Taylor saves orphanage from Nazi warlord

Exclusive: Martin's shoots at unarmed civilians

Exclusive: Taylor saves orphanage from Nazi warlord

Basically, aye :lol:

I get the feeling Lee Clark is one of his sources too ;)

I'd imagine it was Oliver who rang Taylor though. You really think he'd have been in the mood to ring a journalist after the evening he'd just had?

More likely in fairness.

Unbelievable critisism he gets of some posters on here, most of it completely unjust (makes me wonder if there are some undercover Makems on here tbh)  :knuppel2:

IMO he's already a good premiership defender (needs a little fine tuning and a decent partner), with the potential to become a premiership great.

Think that sort of comment is one of the reasons people overcriticise. I think he is ok. He hasnt done anything to suggest he will be a great footballer but he isnt the worst either.

His Captain Marvel demeanour doesnt really help his cause, but thats something he will grow out of hopefully.

Guest Stephen927

I hope we sign Sami Hyppia, would really help bring Taylor on and help to iron out the creases in his game.

As Allardyce said, he is a very raw defender and we should concern ourselves with finding him a partner who has bags of experience and who'll be able to pass on advice in training and on the footy field.

I have always been confident in Taylors ability and potential. Not easy with all the shit around him, With better players and a better manager making the team more organised and consistent im confident that Taylor will grow a level or two and become a really good CB..

Guest Nappy Rash

Unfortunately because a certain satellite TV company have made football popular you get a lot of ill informed fuckwits having opinions on things they know nothing about.

I dont think I've seen a single player on here escape criticism, you tend to have polar divides with the truth being somewhere in the middle (which thank God you get on other forums).

Taylor is quality, raw potential with unlimited boundaries, I remember watching him live at SJP when the Young Uns beat Man Ure at SJP in the Play Off Finals, he was the youngest by a mile but also stood out by the same distance, I left convinced he'd play for England one day and I told everyone on the forum the same. Nothing has changed whatsoever.

As for the opinions of bellends, well where do we start on here?

Scott Parker the worst ever Newcastle Captain' (you don't know how lucky you are if you genuinely think that you ignorant tit) they were getting his name tattooed on their knuckles the previous season.

Matty Pattison better than Emre, we should sell Emre and play Pattison. Now they're both just shite I guess?

Then there is the writer on the site who hates Shearer with a passion, can never resist a dig at him, but just for comedy value, he names his dream strike force for NUFC as Darius Vassel and Andy fuckin Johnson  :uglystupid2: :lol:

Just like bumholes though aren't they  :coolsmiley:

Taylor wasn't brilliant last season, he was alright. To compare him to Bramble is extremely harsh, Taylor was the best of a bad bunch in defence last season. Get him in a good defence and he'll come on leaps and bounds. Can you imagine if you threw Agger into our defence in place of Taylor? I reckon he'd struggle. Put these players in an environment where they can develop and learn from the best and they're a lot more likely to do it.

Taylor is quality, raw potential with unlimited boundaries, I remember watching him live at SJP when the Young Uns beat Man Ure at SJP in the Play Off Finals, he was the youngest by a mile but also stood out by the same distance, I left convinced he'd play for England one day and I told everyone on the forum the same. Nothing has changed whatsoever.

As for the opinions of bellends, well where do we start on here?

Close to home, I would imagine.