Sam wants to save Luque's toon career....

Guest Darth Toon

Does Luque want a shot at staying here though???

According to his father (who is his agent I think) yes.  There was an article, or a section in a article, recently which quoted him saying that they were trying to get in touch with Allardyce to find out what his plans are and wether or not Luque could be a part of them.  I suppose this has come from whatever discussion/meeting they've had.

I'm all for it, to be honest its the only option for a real manager IMO.  You have to at least make some effort to give a player a chance if there is any chance at all he could help your team.  As Allardyce said, the situation may end up being too far gone now after years of mismanagment, but there's nothing to be lost in trying.

Guest samtoonarmy

Theres no going back for Albert Luque.

He has to be one of the worst signings Newcastle have ever made especially for £9m. And there have been a few really bad signings in the past. When you hear people talking about Newcastle's strikers you never hear the name Albert Luque mentioned - its like hes not at the club at all.

Theres no going back for Albert Luque.

He has to be one of the worst signings Newcastle have ever made especially for £9m. And there have been a few really bad signings in the past. When you hear people talking about Newcastle's strikers you never hear the name Albert Luque mentioned - its like hes not at the club at all.

That's not the attitude a good manager should take though, its certainly not Allardyces attitude.  He quite obviously feels that past managers here have mismanaged certain players, so its good that he's trying to rectify that, even if it ends up being unsuccesful in some cases.  Or, god forbid for some here, it might actually end up being successful in the case of Albert Luque.  Though I'm certainly not expecting anything..

Guest Darth Toon

An in-form and committed Albert Luque would be a big asset to Newcastle United, and I'm sure that's the way Allardyce sees it.

Whether he achieves this is open to conjecture, but I really don't think you can argue that it isn't worth a shot.

That's possibly the saddest, most pathetic cringe making thing I've ever heard, I mean that is horrific in every possible way.. Jesus Christ, there just aren't any words to fit that... massively embarrassing is the closest I can think of right now.

EDIT, the first one that is, the other one is just inane.

That's possibly the saddest, most pathetic cringe making thing I've ever heard, I mean that is horrific in every possible way.. Jesus Christ, there just aren't any words to fit that... massively embarrassing is the closest I can think of right now.

Couldn't agree more. I had to turn the fucking thing off after about 30secs.

Luque is probably on about £45,000 a week. No other club will pay him that and he has already turned down moves that offered him less - so he's staying and its a no brainer really - try and get something out of him on the pitch.  Don't know how much of what has happened to Luque so far has been down to Roeder's poor man management and how much is down to the player's attitude to be honest.

I wouldn't question Sam's ability to man manage so its up to Luque to prove himself now.

luque deserves a chance in the squad but not a long time if he carrys on playing like he did when he had a chance last season.

40,000 a week for a player who doesnt play is too much! he needs to either get a chance or go

our attack seems to be getting better and better and more interesting by the minute.

i think we should start concentrating on the defence.

sam seems to be slowly sorting it out  :frantic:  but hopefully luque will play well

I didn't think it was that good.

Words fail me.

Unlike Roeder, I think Sam realises no serious offers are going to come in for Luque and he might as well try and get the best out of what he's got. That's his job and that's what he gets paid very handsomely to do. Throwing Luque in the reserves never to be seen again is the lazy option. Roeder didn't rate/like Luque, tried desperately to get rid, couldn't and just gave up on him very early. Many fans made excuses for Roeder but he was paid very well to deal with situations like that and under any other chairman he'd have got a bollocking considering Luque's wages. It was a poor way to handle the situation. If we're stuck with him and paying him huge wages, it makes sense to give it a go, something I don't believe Roeder ever seriously did.

While I've never liked Sam Allardyce, you have to accept that his man management (as he's only too keen to point out) is one of his strengths. He seems to like a challenge, signing Diouf, Anelka and now Barton and Viduka, all players with lazy or troublesome reputations, as well as signing many players labelled 'past it'. I've got a feeling we might get a useful player out of Luque after all. It's one of the areas where I think we'll benefit from Allardyce.

I wish Luque was at least banished to the reserves under Roeder, the problem is whenever he did that Luque played well, so he just kept him out of both the first and reserves side, wich didnt really help Luque whenever he got those few mins per 10 games.

I wish Luque was at least banished to the reserves under Roeder, the problem is whenever he did that Luque played well, so he just kept him out of both the first and reserves side, wich didnt really help Luque whenever he got those few mins per 10 games.

Good point, he didn't even play Luque in the reserves. The first game he played he scored two 30-yard screamers away to Liverpool and then disappeared off the radar again for ages. The way Roeder handled it was bizarre and disgraceful when you consider it's his job to get the best out of and deal with difficult players. Shocking. Now we've got a proper manager in who recognises his duties and you know he'll work hard to try and make it work.

Good point, he didn't even play Luque in the reserves. The first game he played he scored two 30-yard screamers away to Liverpool and then disappeared off the radar again for ages. The way Roeder handled it was bizarre and disgraceful when you consider it's his job to get the best out of and deal with difficult players. Shocking. Now we've got a proper manager in who recognises his duties and you know he'll work hard to try and make it work.

Difficult really, if Roeder didn't feel he could get Luque to play anything like his level he didn't really have much choice but not to play him, at the end of the day he was trying to win games and Luque been in the team wouldn't have helped him achieve that.

Difficult really, if Roeder didn't feel he could get Luque to play anything like his level he didn't really have much choice but not to play him, at the end of the day he was trying to win games and Luque been in the team wouldn't have helped him achieve that.

What about when we played Charlton and Shefield United? he had Duff up front ffs.

Luque hasn't done himself many favours since he's been here however Roeder didn't go out of his way to help the situation either.

What about when we played Charlton and Shefield United? he had Duff up front ffs.

Luque hasn't done himself many favours since he's been here however Roeder didn't go out of his way to help the situation either.

Duff has played upfront for Ireland and was still a better option than Luque tbf.