New Gap in the "Big 4" ???

Guest graemeh72
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The gap between the top four and the rest is still big, but the gap between the top two and the next two is getting bigger, especially with these stories of Liverpool having piss all money to spend this summer.

Spurs are best placed to challenge  Two top six finishes after 15 years of being outside it shows they're clearly going the right way.

Villa and Newcastle have the managers, semi-OK squads and money to challenge, but they're a season of it yet, at least. Citeh are another season behind imho. Everton are actually closer to it than Villa and Newcastle, but don't have the cash advantage the other two do.

So, I'd expect a top two, then a second two, with Spurs pushing to usurp one of these, then Villa, Newcastle and Everton (no particular order), giving potentially 8 teams who can make things a bit more interesting. Possibly.

Of course, I bet it doesn't work out anything like that.

Think that's bang-on tbh.  :thup:

that is well said matey :clap:

I think the time had come for Arsenal and Henry to part company. More serious for Arsenal is all this talk of a rift between Wenger and the board following Dein's departure. The team draw a lot on their manager's self-confidence and daring. If he's really started to look elsewhere, then that's a real problem for them.

Hard to say which way Liverpool will go, they seem to blag results and you think they'll get found out but they don't. Their defensive record is excellent and if they find someone to put the ball in the net they should be alright.

In central defence they do need cover for Carragher and Agger though, espescially if Hyppia leaves. They were very lucky with injuries last year and went out the domestic cups early, this time around things might be different.

Adebayor, Van Persie

Rosicky, Fabregas, Gilberto, Hleb

Ljunberg, Diaby, Denilson, Song, Walcott

Clichy, Gallas, Toure, Eboue

Djourou, Hoyte

Lehman

Fabianski

I honestly don't think Arsenal are really far behind Man Utd or Chelsea. Last season Arsenal had some bad injuries, Henry, Gallas, Van Persie. They were level with Liverpool in the league, and were really unlucky going out of Champions League losing to PSV. Obviously they will need a striker to replace Henry, as they can't only rely on 2 players (good players) up front throughout the season. But with some lucks, more consistency and more ruthlessness, I don't see why they can't break the domination of Man Utd and Chelsea.

Adebayor, Van Persie

Djourou, Hoyte

Lehman

Fabianski

I honestly don't think Arsenal are really far behind Man Utd or Chelsea. Last season Arsenal had some bad injuries, Henry, Gallas, Van Persie. They were level with Liverpool in the league, and were really unlucky going out of Champions League losing to PSV. Obviously they will need a striker to replace Henry, as they can't only rely on 2 players (good players) up front throughout the season. But with some lucks, more consistency and more ruthlessness, I don't see why they can't break the domination of Man Utd and Chelsea.

Of that list, only Gallas, Toure, Gilberto, Fabregas and maybe van Persie are title material. The rest are either unproven yet, haven't adapted to the Premiership, or over the hill.

Guest graemeh72

Adebayor, Van Persie

Djourou, Hoyte

Lehman

Fabianski

Of that list, only Gallas, Toure, Gilberto, Fabregas and maybe van Persie are title material. The rest are either unproven yet, haven't adapted to the Premiership, or over the hill.

Totally agree

Guest teepee

arsenal look under pressure, and liverpool are also a great deal behind chelsea and manure.

in fact i think there is a big 2 right now, with pool, arse and spurs fighting for the next three places (pool being the favourites though).

i do, however, think that it will be possible to break into this top 4 over the next years, spurs and arse looking vulnerable imo

arsenal look under pressure, and liverpool are also a great deal behind chelsea and manure.

in fact i think there is a big 2 right now, with pool, arse and spurs fighting for the next three places (pool being the favourites though).

i do, however, think that it will be possible to break into this top 4 over the next years, spurs and arse looking vulnerable imo

Firstly, this whole 'Big Four' thing is a joke anyway. Remember the 'richest six clubs' in the 70s and 80s? People (some people) seem to be unable to think that anything other than "what is NOW" will ever exist again!  This applies to many things. EG, when 'Interest Rates' are rising  -  IT WILL "ALWAYS" BE LIKE THAT . . . .  etc.

All we have had is the transient (obviously) but recently "regular" four clubs winning things and being in the recent top four positions in the league.  It is about as permanent as a wet road on a sunny day.

So why do so many people "accept it" and constantly "refer to it" (seeming factually)?   I despair at times!

Then - the next big joke is this Spurs thing.

The London-based (parochial) media can achieve a lot, but somehow they have hyped these lucky-5th-place-finishers up so high! Unbelievable.  We have just had a rubbish season, but only a couple of months before the season ended, we moved ahead of them in the league - and neither of us looked like breaking away from eachother, at that point.

To those who do not like to think they have been 'conned' by our so-called national (actually really only 'parochial London') media  -  this is not a personal attack, it is just what happens. Consciously, we reject what these idiots say and write, automatically  -  but subliminally (for some of us) it takes hold of our 'perspectives' on things.  Thats just what happens.

Anyway  -  next season will see it all change.  What will all these "big four" devotees say then?

I do think Spurs are almost there.  And if Henry does leave, I think it will pave the way for many to follow suit.  Plus with Wenger looking likely to leave next summer Arsenal could be in a spot of bother.  Spurs have been pushing for that spot really well over the last two season, however I don't think they wouldbe part of the big 4.  It would become the big 3 again with Spurs being the best of the rest in my opinion.

have to agree. Arse may drop out of the top 4, but it will just mean a top 3 now, not a new club taking over the gooner's spot. SPurs are soft, always have been even in the past 2 seasons, their best in 20 years. their defence is almost as bad as ours. no way do they have the metal to be a side to fear. even our shite Roeder-led side consistently beat them for cryin out loud. Spurs play a brand of at-times-beautiful gung ho football but until they finally add some bottle to the core of their side, they'll always flatter to deceive.

i think it's all up for grabs this new season as far as 4th place is concerned and though next season may be too early for us to finish 4th, i think we'll be in the mix.

Guest Magpiecn

Losing Henry will not be a disaster to Arsenal.But it will destroy Arsenal if Wenger leave.No one can replace Wenger,as no one can replace Ferguson in Man U.

Henry wasn't near the class of Anelka when they bought him, didn't stop Wenger turning him into one of the best players in the World.

Whoever he buys I'm confident he can do it again.

I'm trying my best to keep a straight face. I take it you never saw Henry at Monaco?

Guest ryunufc

the gap was shortened since the loss of vieira, they simply cant cope when the opposition adopt more physical approach. they were also have awful finishing. i think wenger will get a replacement, maybe not as good as or better, someone who just fits in to score goals. in my opinion they are in trouble at the moment (with wenger's future uncertainty thus the players) but not as big as we may have thought, they played without henry for large part of the last season and they were okay but not great. so, it is for the others to challenge for the 4th (again). we just never know what will happen with everton and spurs can they improve from last good season, or will they have problem with consistency?

the big danger is arsenal will emulate man u of a few seasons ago when it was public knowledge purple face was leaving

results dipped, for whatever reason, and only picked up once he commited himself to the club again - that has ultimately lead to his rebuilding the side in its current image

effect could be even worse with wenger as these kids must think the sun shines out of his arse - if they're playing a season in the knowledge he'll be gone at the end of it subconsciously they might just cave in...

Henry wasn't near the class of Anelka when they bought him, didn't stop Wenger turning him into one of the best players in the World.

Whoever he buys I'm confident he can do it again.

I'm trying my best to keep a straight face. I take it you never saw Henry at Monaco?

I did actually, he was a raw talent that was lightening quick, he spent too much time out on the left though.

Are you seriously comparing Henry at Monaco and Juventus to the Anelka that left Arsenal for £23 million?!

henry in his first season at arsenal was better than anelka in his last at arsenal, which is probably a fair comparison as they were playing in the same team essentially and shows the basic level both were at. think henry actually showed up Anelka as one dimensional, as anelka back then was a very direct goalscorer with little else to his game, tho he has since gone on to change to a second striker, a number 10, rather than a quick, goal poaching number 9. can't really compare henry before he joined tho, i think he was just as talented as he was under wenger, but wasn't being used correctly or given the right stage to shine - like anelka who bombed at Real just as Henry did at Juve. doesn't mean anelka at madrid was no longer in the same class as anelka at arsenal, just that he wasn't being deployed correctly.

basically tho i think LFEE's point is valid tho it is less Wenger "turning" a pedestrian player into a world class star, than simply getting the best out of talent that is already there. if the talent isn't there to be the best in the first place wenger isn't going to change that. i think he'll be looking for a quick striker with good link up play, but not neccessarily a like for like replacement, as that is almost impossible. as i said earlier, he'll restructure the team so that the similar elements of skill and pace are present, rather than try to replace each individual player that has left with a copy. if he signs Tevez then he'll know that Henry's pace and his phemonenal goalscoring is missing so will look for a more direct partner to provide goals and will probably replace someone like rosicky or hleb with a pacier player. the team as a whole would then have the same qualities tho the qualities are distributed differently. Tevez, or Villa if Wenger thinks he can pull it off, would be a good replacement, and a move akin to Man Utd signing Rooney or Ronaldo, the transfers that have re-established man utd at the top. Arsenal already have their equivalent to carrick and he's a better version too.

"Best of the Rest":

Spurs, Arsenal,

Everton, Blackburn, Villa, Newcastle, West ham, citeh??

With all the "new" money being pumped into the above clubs it should make for a more competitive league and also a place where positions will be more tightly contested due to the better quality of top ten teams...

Spurs went backwards last season imo

They only finished 5th due to Berbatov, the season prior they were a better 'team' with less reliance on any one individual.

Arsenal are in danger of having a poor season unless they can reverse the downward momentum there atm

Liverpool will bore their way to the top 4 but offe rno real challenge to the top 2

Villa will be dangerous but (unless they strengthen this summer) will fall short

Citeh have too far to go to challenge the top 4 this year

West Ham will be pushing for promotion from the Fizzy Pop league (If there's any justice in the world)

Blackburn will be worse this season if they lose Benni, will be the same if they don't

Portsmouth will struggle

Everton will have a tough season (no money, no new signings imminent)

Its there for the taking. It could be said that like Citeh we have too far to go in one year, but unlike Citeh I feel that we had better players than them last season and were hampered by a crap manager.

Its unlikely, but top 4 here we come1

It will be the same top 4 again IMO, Arsenal played some outstanding football last season but was let down in the final 3rd they just couldnt convert their many chances into goals, If they had someone like Owen up front they would score alot more. Arsenal basically out played many teams but just couldnt score but now RVP will be back and Arsenal will buy a top striker it wouldnt suprise me if they are up there fighting for the title.

no because with that 16 million then Wenger will buy a class CF and it wont be some teenager because wenger actually has money to spend this time. If he does get a good enough striker then Arsenal will probably do better than Liverpool. Arsenals young players from last season will have improved alot as most of them now are in their 20's so they may be mature enough to handle the Prem properly, Arsenal will do fine as they have a squad and manager that is far better than anyones outside the top 4.

Guest kingdawson

Spurs went backwards last season imo

They only finished 5th due to Berbatov, the season prior they were a better 'team' with less reliance on any one individual.

Arsenal are in danger of having a poor season unless they can reverse the downward momentum there atm

Liverpool will bore their way to the top 4 but offe rno real challenge to the top 2

Villa will be dangerous but (unless they strengthen this summer) will fall short

Citeh have too far to go to challenge the top 4 this year

West Ham will be pushing for promotion from the Fizzy Pop league (If there's any justice in the world)

Blackburn will be worse this season if they lose Benni, will be the same if they don't

Portsmouth will struggle

Everton will have a tough season (no money, no new signings imminent)

Its there for the taking. It could be said that like Citeh we have too far to go in one year, but unlike Citeh I feel that we had better players than them last season and were hampered by a crap manager.

Its unlikely, but top 4 here we come1

Maybe true but we also got knocked out of both competitions really early 2 seasons ago.

Guest Triglett

We haven't gone backwards. We only finished 5 points off last season, with an extra 20 games. I wish people would take that into account, as it really does make a HUGE difference to perceptions - Boro only just escaped a relegation battle when they got to the UEFA Cup final, Everton finished in the bottom half of the table the season after qualifying for the Champions League.

We were also completely reliant on Carrick that season, in a less direct way, and we still haven't found a suitable replacement. Although an inferior player, we were also just as reliant on Mido - when he went to the ACN and came back injured, we completely fell apart having to play the two small strikers together and actually had a poor end to the season. We're softer at the core, but our improved attacking strength in a multitude of areas means that, actually, on our day, we can beat pretty much anyone - we scored exactly 50 more goals than the season before. Defending, as you know, was a different matter...but that doesn't deflect away from what was actually a fantastic season  :laugh2:

We haven't gone backwards. We only finished 5 points off last season, with an extra 20 games. I wish people would take that into account, as it really does make a HUGE difference to perceptions - Boro only just escaped a relegation battle when they got to the UEFA Cup final, Everton finished in the bottom half of the table the season after qualifying for the Champions League.

We were also completely reliant on Carrick that season, in a less direct way, and we still haven't found a suitable replacement. Although an inferior player, we were also just as reliant on Mido - when he went to the ACN and came back injured, we completely fell apart having to play the two small strikers together and actually had a poor end to the season. We're softer at the core, but our improved attacking strength in a multitude of areas means that, actually, on our day, we can beat pretty much anyone - we scored exactly 50 more goals than the season before. Defending, as you know, was a different matter...but that doesn't deflect away from what was actually a fantastic season  :laugh2:

Sorry, but my opinion still stands, Spurs last season went backwards as a team.

Yes you scored more goals, yes you played more games. But you were over reliant on Berbatov. If you could marry the Spurs team play from 05-06 with Berbatov 06-07 you would get top 4

Guest Nappy Rash

actually, on our day, we can beat pretty much anyone - we scored exactly 50 more goals than the season before. Defending, as you know, was a different matter...but that doesn't deflect away from what was actually a fantastic season  :laugh2:

The only decent team Spuds beat last season was a 10 Men Chelsea team who had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled out when they were 1-0 up (I think) and then had their Captain sent off for nowt.

Spuds also had more match winning key decision go their way than any other as that daft correction league thing shows.

I suppose this "on your day" bollox just never happens very often eh?

The first decent side you met in any cup competition you went out to and you never beat anyone worth talking about in the league (other than the aforementioned).

Arsenals reserves even fuckin knocked you out one cup man  :lol: