Clauses to cost Freddy his job?

KaKa

Ashley to probe Shepherd role in buy-out clauses

By Jason Burt

Published: 23 June 2007

Mike Ashley may use the existence of buy-out clauses in the contracts of Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins to remove Freddy Shepherd as chairman of Newcastle United.

The reclusive businessman, who amassed his £1.9bn fortune through sports retailing, is expected to soon complete his £133m takeover of Newcastle and has already ordered a review of how the club is run. The review will scrutinise every aspect of the club and will also examine the future of Shepherd who still holds the role of chairman - and wants to effectively take on a chief executive's role - despite selling his shares to Ashley.

However the revelation in The Independent earlier this week that Martins' representatives negotiated a clause in his contract allowing him to leave if any club bids £13m - following on from the existence of a similar clause for £9m in Owen's deal - has infuriated Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce. Ashley is also now aware of the details and is said to be unimpressed.

The former Newcastle manager, Graeme Souness, - who was in charge when Owen signed for £17m - has already stated that contract negotiations with players were solely conducted by Shepherd. It means that the club would be powerless to prevent either player leaving should the clauses be triggered.

Allardyce is said to be deeply concerned that Owen's heart is not in staying on Tyneside. Manchester City may become the first club to test that theory especially if, as expected, Sven Goran Eriksson becomes their manager.

Newcastle, meanwhile, have tried to re-negotiate Martins' contract, offering the Nigerian, who joined last summer for £10m from Internazionale, a pay rise despite the fact that he earns £60,000-a-week. The 22-year-old is understood to have made clear that he is keen to return to Italy.

Matters are complicated by the chaotic nature of Martins' life and a wrangle earlier this year as to who represents him. The striker sacked his Italian agent and is now represented by Jonathan Barnett's Stellar group.

Ashley is expected to appoint a member of his staff to conduct the "thorough, objective, strategic review" which will also examine the club's business practices. The review will also consider the findings of Lord Stevens' recent report. Eight of the 17 deals his company, Quest, refused to sign off involved Newcastle or Allardyce.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article2697814.ece

In before page 70000000.

Freddie did what he had to to get those players in.  I've no doubt Martins didn't want to play for Roeder, nor Owen Souness.  If it took a clause, it took a clause.  Of course the reason those two mongs were appointed anyway ...

ahem, beside the point.  Road to hell paved with good intentions and all that.

I get the feeling that Ashley won't need much of an excuse to boot Shepherd; the fat guy's only there because he has a knowledge of how things are run, and Ashley doesn't have much of a clue, so needs an advisor. Shepherd's his 'expert', except he's just not an expert, so Ashley probably doesn't see the option of keeping him on worthwhile. This business with the clauses is shocking, and gives Ashley that excuse to kick him out.

Newcastle, meanwhile, have tried to re-negotiate Martins' contract, offering the Nigerian, who joined last summer for £10m from Internazionale, a pay rise despite the fact that he earns £60,000-a-week. The 22-year-old is understood to have made clear that he is keen to return to Italy.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article2697814.ece

But this bit in bold... it makes you wonder how many fucking times Martins has to say "I love playing for Newcastle" before people get the point.

I can understand Owen having a clause but would of thought one with us getting our money back or more than we paid would of been more appropriate.

Martins wasnt he going to be 4th or 5th choice at Inter this year, I was stunned how much we paid for him &  gobsmacked that he has got a clause.

I'm amazed Shepherd is still at the club and can't wait until he leaves.

If Ashley gives the idiot who left us in this state any position of responsibility then you have to question his integrity.

I'm amazed Shepherd is still at the club and can't wait until he leaves.

If Ashley gives the idiot who left us in this state any position of responsibility then you have to question his integrity.

Like i said, the chances are that Ashley doesn't have a clue how to run a football club. He probably only ever intended to keep Shepherd on as a short-term 'helper', because he's the 'expert' who knows what to do. The rollercoaster journey of shit that Magnusson and West Ham have been on/will continue on, are merely proof that you've got to be careful and not jump straight in.

Only Ashley's figured out that Shepherd's a goon and isn't worth keeping on anyway.

Like i said, the chances are that Ashley doesn't have a clue how to run a football club. He probably only ever intended to keep Shepherd on as a short-term 'helper', because he's the 'expert' who knows what to do. The rollercoaster journey of s*** that Magnusson and West Ham have been on/will continue on, are merely proof that you've got to be careful and not jump straight in.

Only Ashley's figured out that Shepherd's a goon and isn't worth keeping on anyway.

Ashley will have much clue as most of the other people running fooball clubs because most of them are ran very poorly.

Eggert Magnússon is the 'expert' at West Ham, his last job was President of the Football Association of Iceland. He has done a stack of other jobs in football as well.   The owner of West Ham is Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson, a financier & not Eggy.

I hope the c*** dies.

Harsh.

I hope the c*** has a heart attack and just suvives.

Better?

Not really, you're just making yourself look a twat.

Gutted tbh.

PS: Am the 1st person ever to wish FS dead or called him a cunt.

Regular trend setter me.

Whether these clauses DO get Shepherd the sack or not, he deserves it simply for putting them in to the players'contracts - if the players insisted on them , it only shows how poorly they rated NUFC under the Chairmanship of Shepherd - Shearer wouldn't have got such a clause from KK or SJH, unless it applied to relegation - something that was unthinkable at the time, whereas it was obvious that NUFC under Souness & Roeder would always find it difficult to achieve Euro Football - esp with Shepherd doing the deals....

I'm quite sure that Ashley has no intention of keeping the current regime in charge. This review just sounds like a piece of research so that the new Chief Executive can be well briefed rather than having to launch into the job cold. It also makes sense that, if we're half way through a number of transfer deals, that the same people see it through.

I imagine the switch will come in September.

If Ashley needs expertise on running the club he can buy it in, hopefully from someone like Dein.  If he kept FFS for that reason, he'd only do it on a short term basis whilst he gets his own man/men in, or perhaps FFS would be there in a figurehead type capacity (he's got the tits for it after all).

It may be that Shepherd has negotiated himself the chairman's seat for a limited term as a prerequisite of selling his shares.  However my guess is that Ashley wants to keep FFS (and Bruce Shepherd) on the board to help with the hotel and conference centre redevelopment and the ground expansion.  I assume they are central to the planning applications and development plans and their knowledge and contacts would be lost if they walked away.

Guest graemeh72

I bet Ashley is seriously pissed off,

..........after all these clauses have weakened and devalued his investment

I wouldn't be surprised if a few players get offered new contracts to tidy things up and correct these cluase.

However, I would bet my life that these clause issues are only scratching the surface .... and that there are  far more Freddie fuck ups waiting to be uncovered!

Guest elbee909

Any truth to the £13 buyout in Baba's contract? 

Not that anyone would activate it, mind...

Let's get £13.50 together to find out, we'll get him to bring us all tea and biscuits.

I hope the c*** dies.

Harsh.

I hope the c*** has a heart attack and just suvives.

Better?

Not really, you're just making yourself look a t***.

Gutted tbh.

PS: Am the 1st person ever to wish FS dead or called him a c***.

Regular trend setter me.

I would like to see Freddy leave our club, but not like that.

Words fail me, how low can we sink.

However, I would bet my life that these clause issues are only scratching the surface .... and that there are  far more Freddie fuck ups waiting to be uncovered!

What needs to be 'uncovered'? From 2nd place to relegation candidates, and four managers in four years. His record speaks for itself.

Guest exilim

Let's release some rumours into the press saying martins is 28 and turning 29, scare the shit out of juventus to make them back out!

I bet Ashley is seriously pissed off,

I would like to think he would of known of the clauses when he took over as his team looked at the books/contracts/assets etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ashley's people who released details of Oba's clause, to discredit the previous regime (even more) & make him look like the white knight.