£10m for Owen!

Colos Short and Curlies

Guest optimistic nit

wahay. who'd of thought we'd be in a position to make a profit on owen. we had insurance paying a bit of his wages i think, as well during his injury, so his goals per pounds ratio could actually be quite tidy. :D

Guest optimistic nit

although on a side note, while a good decision for us, is this a good decision for football?

Guest eyeball_tickler

get rid, disloyal, money grabber, clearly desperately wants to go, unhappy here, mercenary etc.

Good on Freddy if the report is accurate.

that's the question isn't it?

for example how have owens wages been paid for 2 years?  the first injury he got (broken foot) was for us against spurs so we'd have got nothing for that other than our own insurance (if that even applies at club level which i doubt)

so his wages will have been paid for a year, in fact just less than a year

dunno something fishy there if you ask me - does it include the clubs own insurance for owens wages or just from the fa?

too vague to be trusted

Good on Freddy if the report is accurate.

that's the question isn't it?

for example how have owens wages been paid for 2 years?  the first injury he got (broken foot) was for us against spurs so we'd have got nothing for that other than our own insurance (if that even applies at club level which i doubt)

so his wages will have been paid for a year, in fact just less than a year

dunno something fishy there if you ask me - does it include the clubs own insurance for owens wages or just from the fa?

too vague to be trusted

We took out insurance against Owen's wages that covered everything that wasn't covered by the FA insurers, so it does come to about 18 months of insurers paying his wages. This source was just giving a vague overview of the money collected.

I've heard that Oliver's source is a friend of Shepherd who is not a club employee, so he is never going to know the exact details.

hold on, what am i missing here?  maths was never my strong point

owens wage is 105,000 a week or something right?  which equates to almost 5.5m a year or just over 8m for 18 months

so if we got back 10m total then our compensation was around 2m?

am i right?  if so then it's not as great as it sounds is it?  although still better than nothing

Guest johnson293

I've just re-read the article, and I think the wording is slightly confusing...

But a United source told me: “We have finally reached a comprise with FIFA and the FA regarding Michael Owen, and when you take into account the fact that his wages have been paid in full for two years and the compensation we have received, it’ll amount to around £10m.

I dont think it means that we are receiving two years of full pay from the FA, but that the amount (£10m) is the equivalent of the two years full pay we have paid to him.

The result is that we have effectively gotten Owens last two years of wages back - but in reality, the FA have allegedly been paying half under their Insurance policy, until he played first footy for us (last May) - so the compensation is made up of compensation, cost of surgery, and will include monies they/Insurance paid toward his wages.

Therefore - if the FA paid half of his wages for the 11 months he was out with the World Cup injury, that is about £2.3m, then his surgery costs were reportedly in the region of £150,000, add in any special physio, and you could round that up to £200,000, so that £2.5m for wages and rehab - therefore, the actual compensation may be in the region of £7.5m.

Sell Owen for £9m, put the £7.5m compensation to that, and we have £16.5m menaing that minus his wages, we haven't lost much money on his transfer fee.

If my calcs and assumptions are correct, like??!!!!!

Sorry if I'm saying what was obvious.

Edited due to stupid maths!!

Guest optimistic nit

Complete feeling of apathy now about Owen. If he stays, great. If he goes, f*ck off.

are you sure apathy is the right term? we've just got 10million for the fucker, with the prospect of another 9. he's turning into a nice little earner blueyes.gif

Complete feeling of apathy now about Owen. If he stays, great. If he goes, f*ck off.

are you sure apathy is the right term? we've just got 10million for the fucker, with the prospect of another 9. he's turning into a nice little earner blueyes.gif

Unless we sell him for 18million we've lost money.

Unless we sell him for 18million we've lost money.

that's what i'm thinking, the 10m is not profit at all, it basically covers what we've already lost in wages/rehab to the little lego man

so if we take an 8m hit on his transfer fee we still lose 8m whichever way you cut it

Don't see why this should change anyone's opinions on wanting him to stay or go.

If we lose him we're still losing a bloody good footballer cut-price, a player who we could not attract to the club were he not already here.

Don't see why this should change anyone's opinions on wanting him to stay or go.

If we lose him we're still losing a bloody good footballer cut-price, a player who we could not attract to the club were he not already here.

A bloody good footballer or a feckin injury-prone liability? Like a lot of people now, I couldn't give a toss about him. Stay, go: don't care just get the thing out of the way.

A bloody good footballer or a feckin injury-prone liability? Like a lot of people now, I couldn't give a toss about him. Stay, go: don't care just get the thing out of the way.

I agree I'd like to see it resolved quickly.