Copa América

Dave

Guest Alan Shearer 9

4-2 would be my dream result bookies wise

this is going to sound emotional, but watching the argies has reminded me why i watch football, something that i had actually forgotten in the last 2 years, for obvious reasons. truely brilliant. veron is exactly the type of player chelsea need next season imo as well. they have no flair, something veron, who has been excellent would provide. the only player chelsea have who i would describe as technical is joe cole. the rest are just athletes. it is the opposite with manu

you're just making me rue not having sky even more :(

1st half was rubbis , i fell asleep and missed 2nd half. a shame but now lets see if BRazil van grow like always in a final, or if they play the same shitty football since the beginning of the tournament and get demolished by the Argies.

I hate that I can't stay awake to see the whole games... Always the same thing, I watch about 30 minutes before feeling really tired, watch another 5 minutes while getting more and more tired and the last ten minutes of the first half I'm half asleep and then at half time I'm off to bed :(

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Just won the Argentinian league with his hometown club. He's only 31 iirc. Wouldn't expect you to know seeing as you thought N'Zogbia was "literally unstoppable".

Guest optimistic nit

this ref is totally shit. got EVERY fucking decision wrong. just booked nery for being taken down by the uruguay keeper. in my opinion mexico should have had 2 pens this match out of 3 possible pens, and the one they were given was the one that wasn't a pen, and the player was sent off to boot. what is this joker doing reffing in this tourne, never mind the 3rd place playoff.

Also, Craig Brown must have used the stat sheets more times in this competition than any other commentator ever. :lol:

Always comes up with random b*llocks like, "The 27-year old Inter 4th choice keeper", and, "He's been capped 43 times for his country", etc.

Guest joltzor

i heard in the transmition in the game Mexico Uruguay that Cristian "el cebolla" Rodrigues have an offer to play with Newcastle, i dont know if is true

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_football/4160715.stm

My favourite football story from last year features Cristian Rodriguez.

Cristian Rodriguez

Rodriguez is one of the brightest young talents in South America

A stocky attacking midfielder with a wonderful left foot, he plays for Penarol, one of the giants of Uruguayan football.

Rodriguez is only 19, but already has eight full caps for his country, and scored a cracking goal away to Argentina last October.

Towards the end of the year an injury ruled him out of a few games but Penarol officials were surprised when television pictures showed him in the uncovered stands jumping up and down with other supporters in the pouring rain.

The club were unimpressed with his unprofessional conduct but I felt uplifted by the existence of a bit of amateur spirit.

It is heartening to find a player who still feels like a supporter.

Penarol threatened to fine Rodriguez, but happily they showed some Christmas charity and let him off.

With his bank balance intact, he flies off this week to Colombia, where he will be Uruguay's star player in the South American Under-20 Championships, which get underway on Thursday.

It should be a fantastic competition.

Held every two years, it is a tournament which brings together some of the best young footballing talent on the planet.

The top four sides can qualify for the World Youth Cup, staged later this year in Holland.

In the last World Youth Cup all three of South America's representatives reached the semi-finals, with Brazil winning, Colombia coming third and Argentina finishing fourth.

Rodriguez will be the senior figure in the Uruguay Under-20 side

The same three countries should come through strongly again this time.

Brazil and Argentina are the undisputed giants, while Colombia have both home advantage and a generation of players from whom great things are expected.

All three reached the semi-finals of the last World Under-17 Cup - Brazil winning, Argentina third and Colombia fourth.

Many of those players have come up through the ranks and will now be featuring at Under-20 level.

Uruguay, then, have a tough task ahead of them if they are to claim one of the qualification slots.

Two years ago even home advantage was not enough to help them through to the 2003 World Youth Cup.

But luck was not on their side. They had a nasty run of injuries during the championship.

Rodriguez, then just 17, made a superb start to the tournament but was injured in the second game and played no further part.

Now he has another chance, this time as the senior figure in the side.

European scouts will certainly be watching him. But if he does make the move across the Atlantic, he should keep quiet about his antics in the stands.

Another Uruguayan hoping for better luck this time is Ignacio La Luz, a highly rated full back who missed the last South American Under-20 Championships through injury.

Still only 19, he is young enough to have another chance.

Also in the squad are two attacking midfielders who did well in the last Under-17 Championships, playmaker Juan Albin and the left-footed Jorge Garcia, who last year was linked with Chelsea.