Trophy Signing?

mrmojorisin75

So Ashley appears to have acheived his goals - he has control of the club, we'll be off the LSE soon, he's got his own men in charge and it's all systems go...

Reports are circulating that he's gonna hand Allardyce 50m to spend this window in order to "revive the clubs fortunes" and that  his dream is to see "a team of Carlos Tevez's at SJP".

Lets imagine for a minute the reports are correct (I for one find it unlikely given the speed at which he is now moving things that he'll he'll settle for a 'consolidation period' and see how things go, I did but now I don't) and Allardyce has that kind of money to spend - my question is this:

Based on the assumption that Fat Sam uses, oh lets 30m, to rebuild the defence do you want to see him go for a "Trophy Signing" to capture the fans imagination before the season kicks off?  So the first part is a simple "yes" or "no" but I'm not after "get Ronaldinho" type answers 'cause no matter how much money we have that kind of signing is simply unrealistic for us right now, and perhaps forever.

A trophy signing, for me, should be considered someone fairly/very high profile who will add something special to the team in the final third who, while we could get along with out their signature, with it we could be converted into an exceptional side.  So I'm looking for names and football-based justifications for it.

To answer my own question I think it would be a very good thing for the club to do, to sign a "trophy player" once the squad rebuilding is done.  It would be a statement of intent from Ashley for the future of the club and also from Allardyce that he can step out of the bargain basement and get us challenging in the years to come.

As for who it should be I'm not 100% sure.  My first inclination is Huntelaar, a classy dutch goalscoring forward with a good all round game and potential to be at the top for the next 10 years.  But I'm not sure that's the priority for us right now on the pitch.  So my second inclination is to go with a playmaker to play between the midfield and strikers ala Kaka/Diego and I think this is where it gets difficult.  We've all played Football Manager I'd imagine so we know these guys are great on a laptop but who knows how they'd fare in the PL.  Van der Vaart & Wesley Sneijder are two other guys I've seen bits and pieces of but haven't really seen enough to suggest they'd cut it.

For me in the modern game this type of players is essential, the guy who creates havoc in the space where he can't be picked up.  Rooney/Kaka/Ronaldinho/Messi/Ronaldo/Gerrard etc... all do it and do it well and these are the teams who are winning the prizes.  Chel$ki are an exception to this as they play a nullifying high pressure, high paced game and it's why I feel they're not winning the CL.

I suppose I mentioned the guy at the start who I'd go for to meet my own critria and that would be Carlos Tevez - he fulfills everything I've talked about above and might, just might be attainable for us.

Anyone else?

I think we should only consider trophy signings once we have a real one in the cabinet. We have spent years buying "trophy" players, these have sold shirts & captured imagination but the team has failed to deliver silverware.

Use ALL the money to build a trophy winning team & thereafter, by all means, get a trophy player. By that time we may be a team they would want to sign for (as opposed to being mercenary - Shearer excepted) and will come and want to perform.

Let's walk before we can run. There is going to be an awful lot of cash out there with all these buy-outs. 50M may not go that far in what may become an inflated market.

Guest Peter Pan

You wouldn't call him a trophy signing, but for a player who can create havoc in the gap between midfield and striker AND who might be available...........

Craig Bellamy.

Fuck Off

You wouldn't call him a trophy signing, but for a player who can create havoc in the gap between midfield and striker AND who might be available...........

Craig Bellamy.

Fuck Off

:'(

I don't want a trophy signing but would like to see us competing for quality players who come at a price such as Richards.  Targetting players who are past their best such as Hypia isn't what I would call getting the best in - more a stop gap strategy.  I appreciate we need to get experience in at the back but there are experienced defenders out there who are also on top of their game - yes they come at a price but if we are to believe what the media is saying, we should have the money to get those players.

Guest David Kelly

Rather than a tropy signing I think we are talking about a flair player who can create something for us.

Someone like Van Der Vart, Quaresema or Deigo might be an outside possibility but realisitically we have no chance of Tevez with the other clubs that are being linked with him.

Guest Rameses II

Dyer, Luque, Boumsong, Gavilan, Cort, Viana, Martins, Bramble, Not all of them were "Trophy" signings but what a collective waste of money.

We need solidity,we still need fullbacks left and right and another Central defender a play maker and a fit striker.

At the minute I would rather have a Trophy Bride than a trophy signing and a solid team that might win a Trophy any Trophy will do to start with,Intertoto didn't count!

Dyer, Luque, Boumsong, Gavilan, Cort, Viana, Martins, Bramble, Not all of them were "Trophy" signings but what a collective waste of money.

We need solidity,we still need fullbacks left and right and another Central defender a play maker and a fit striker.

At the minute I would rather have a Trophy Bride than a trophy signing and a solid team that might win a Trophy any Trophy will do to start with,Intertoto didn't count!

again, i did put in bold letters "once the squad rebuilding is done" but don't let that deter you