Geremi gets work permit, Officially signs - .cock

bodson

On the issue of Europe attracting players, I'm not sure the UEFA Cup has all that much pulling power.

When we were in the UEFA Cup last summer was our pulling power any greater than it is now?

I agree with the notion of building season on season by the way, but I'm not sure I agree with this idea that we can finish 6th and then attract better players.

No one seems to have given it much consideration but Geremi might b ear-marked for a defensive midfield role. That would explain the parallel interest in Habib Beye. Butt might have had a good season last year, but he is pretty much restricted to his defensive duties. Allardyce might be looking at someone to play more of a Gary Speed role in that position covering box to box.

That would be a catastrophe imo. Can still remember Geremi getting slated by Boro fans for months for not getting back and helping his full back, in the same way our fans did to Robert.

They must be right picky b*stards then considering they still voted him Fans' Player of the Year.

Never said they didn't think he was a good player, but he got plenty criticism over that and going missing during the winter months.

He scored the winner against us too, that automatically gets you player of the year down there.

Its not a huge pull, especially if the team has the potential to be in it the year after.

But its certainly an extra pull if it were down to choosing between two similar clubs one in Europe and one not. Its just another card to play.

This may have been posted, so sorry if it has. Didnt realise Gezza was on tyneside.

Sunderland have failed in a £3million bid for Wigan's England Under 21 left-back Leighton Baines.

Manager Roy Keane could now step up his pursuit of West Bromwich's Paul Robinson.

Keane completed his second signing of the summer yesterday when defender Russell Anderson, 28, signed a three-year deal after quitting Aberdeen.

Geremi is on the brink of joining Newcastle after a day of talks in the north-east. Chelsea's Cameroon defender met Sam Allardyce at the club's training ground and the Newcastle manager wants a deal completed quickly.

Geremi, 28, is available for nothing with his contract at Stamford Bridge running out and Allardyce wants to see off any competition, most notably from the player's former club Middlesbrough.

But despite Allardyce seeing his financial might strengthened by the Mike Ashley takeover — with up to £50million now available — Michael Owen's future is again in doubt. Striker Mark Viduka, Allardyce's first signing of the summer, admitted yesterday: 'I am not sure if Michael is staying.' Nicky Shorey will snub Newcastle and West Ham by signing a new contract at Reading.

The left-back is expected to agree a £25,000-a-week deal after returning from honeymoon on Monday.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst joined Dutch club Feyenoord on a free transfer from Barcelona yesterday, insisting that Thierry Henry's arrival at the Nou Camp should not signal the departure of Samuel Eto'o.

Van Bronckhorst played a big role in persuading his former Arsenal team-mate to move to Barca in a £16m deal.

But he said: 'It doesn't mean another striker has to leave. Eto'o is able to play alongside Henry. It would be a big mistake to sell Samuel.

'With Ronaldinho, Messi, Eto'o and Henry, the defenders in Spain face many problems.'

Liverpool have extended their sponsorship deal with Carlsberg until 2010. The new contract is worth around £8million a season and prolongs the longest such partnership in the Premiership, stretching back to 1992. Liverpool did not want a longer deal because they hope to move into their new Stanley Park stadium in 2010 without commercial tie-ups. That would leave them clear to negotiate deals, including the name of the stadium.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=464779&in_page_id=1779

No one seems to have given it much consideration but Geremi might b ear-marked for a defensive midfield role. That would explain the parallel interest in Habib Beye. Butt might have had a good season last year, but he is pretty much restricted to his defensive duties. Allardyce might be looking at someone to play more of a Gary Speed role in that position covering box to box.

That would be a catastrophe imo. Can still remember Geremi getting slated by Boro fans for months for not getting back and helping his full back, in the same way our fans did to Robert.

They must be right picky b*stards then considering they still voted him Fans' Player of the Year.

Never said they didn't think he was a good player, but he got plenty criticism over that and going missing during the winter months.

He scored the winner against us too, that automatically gets you player of the year down there.

'boro fans levelled the same accusations against Viduka last winter then changed their tune once he started scoring quality goals in big matches. As for not helping out the fullbacks, I don't get the impression the ball will dwelled on in the middle of the park much under Allardyce, which makes the likes of Parker and Butt spectators for much of the game.  SA might have a totally different concept of what a CM responsibilities are.

Read about this in the Ronnie on my lunch break today. Very impressed!!

A player of his calibre for free is fantastic and I can't wait to see him get stuck in.

ITS ONLY BLEEDIN' JUNE, WOOP!

Read about this in the Ronnie on my lunch break today. Very impressed!!

A player of his calibre for free is fantastic and I can't wait to see him get stuck in.

ITS ONLY BLEEDIN' JUNE, WOOP!

You're rapidly running out of space with that sig like.

Don;t know if this has been posted, can't be arsed to check all the pages...

but after a quick google search and wiki link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geremi_Njitap

"Geremi Sorele Njitap Fotso, usually known simply as Geremi (born December 20, 1978 in Bafoussam, Cameroon) is a Cameroonian footballer contracted to Chelsea in the English Premier League. However a transfer to Newcastle United is immenent.So the media reckon but then again, what do they know? Oh by the way it is imminent"

I laughed pretty hard when i read that...wikipedia is usually good at editing these back and making them look decent...or so i thought?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Big Sam just on SSN

We are one of a number of clubs pursuing him. We will see what happens over the next few days

Guest Guinness

He also said that a deal is still "some way off". Signals Geremi will speak to other clubs before deciding, doesn't look like the deal is as close as certain papers were stating it was this morning.