Wenger reportedly wants Oba for 13 million according to Sun.

madras

Looking ominous like. As Gejon mentioned, £13M isn't all that much in the current transfer market. Crazy prices flying about at the moment. I don't see a long list of potential replacements either.

Gudjohnsen - could we get him?

Anelka - decent shout but how much would he cost?

Babel - unproven.

I wouldn't want us to lose Martins and then try and save face by getting a trophy signing like Raul for a big fee and massive wages. I could take it if we brought in Gudjohnsen or Anelka, but I'd rather just keep him.

I can't think of a team that Martins is less well suited to than Arsenal. If this goes through, it will be Wenger's biggest mistake since Francis Jeffers - and a very similar one, in fact.

If this turns out to be wrong, I'm sure you'll all be far too gentlemanly to quote me.

If he does go, I hope we get Anelka in.

We need some pace, Owen has lost a couple of yards of it and whilst Gudjohnsen would be pretty decent, Anelka would level us up pretty nicely plus give us the same level of creativity Gudjohnsen would.

Shouldnt cost more than the 13m we get for Martins either.

I still reckon Oba will stay though, but we shall see.

Wouldnt be pretty, but im sure Anelka would jump at the chance, if so they would be hard pushed to keep him.

They would make a tidy profit on him, with time to splash the money on several players.

Bolton would at least think about it more than they would let on.

I'd be a bit worried about our workrate up front with Anelka and Viduka, espescially when Viduka, Owen and Ameobi are all troubled with injuries. I'd rather have Gudjohnsen despite the lack of pace. If we're playing 4-5-1 and need pace we can always bring in Zoggy, Duff, Dyer, and Owen's still quick enough.

As for Martins not suiting Arsenal, I disagree. Their players all have a fantastic first touch which is probably Oba's biggest weakness, but they're also a side built on movement and the kind of space and through balls Martins would find, he could be a real problem for defences. Bear in mind their side is miles more creative than the one we had last season and their coaches would drill him well in their counter-attacking game. If there's one club where I'm pretty sure Martins would be a hit, it's Arsenal. What he lacks in delicate touch he makes up for in pace, dribbling, power and shooting. With the way Arsenal counter-attack like bullets he'd be in his element.

I wouldnt say Anelka is a lazy player, he is very proactive at Bolton, although Diouf and Davies were the men to do the work either side of him alot of the time, so he didnt have to work as hard as the others.

Oba's biggest weakeness is his inconsistency not his first touch.

At times his first touch is sublime, for instance against AZ in the first leg some of his touches were sublime, when he is on, he is on.

Its a concentration issue more than anything else, which obviously effects his first touch amoungst other parts of his game , but you could also say his positioning is a big weak point.

Experience and coaching will straighten him out, as will playing with better players and having a strike partner.

I don't think we can afford to lose Martins for that price in an inflated market. He IS being ridiculous asking for more money but if he gets more he has to sign a new contract without any clauses, and he might be worth that this season. I'll take a punt here and say he will be a 20+ scorer in the premiership and we need that, there arent that many other strikers avalible out there that we can get

a) for that price

b) to come to NUFC

c) at his age  :shifty:

d) with his potential quality

But IF he reckons he should go to Arsenal now he's unintelligent, there is every chance in 3 seasons time we will be in a better position than them. If he isnt settled or happy here let him leave, we only want people who want to be here and work hard.

So basically i'm saying I want him to stay but if he doesnt want to pass him on, but weve lost a potentially great player.......

I don't think we can afford to lose Martins for that price in an inflated market. He IS being ridiculous asking for more money but if he gets more he has to sign a new contract without any clauses, and he might be worth that this season. I'll take a punt here and say he will be a 20+ scorer in the premiership and we need that, there arent that many other strikers avalible out there that we can get

a) for that price

b) to come to NUFC

But IF he reckons he should go to Arsenal now he's unintelligent, there is every chance in 3 seasons time we will be in a better position than them. If he isnt settled or happy here let him leave, we only want people who want to be here and work hard.

So basically i'm saying I want him to stay but if he doesnt want to pass him on, but weve lost a potentially great player.......

I agree with what you say, but why add the "to come to NUFC" bit?

I can understand supporters of (say) Reading or Bolton saying that, but I have always been aware that (for many reasons) the City of Newcastle and Newcastle United are very attractive propositions for a player. At the moment, only the 'current top four' are more attractive, and I am betting that even that will change considerably, in the next year or so!

a) for that price

b) to come to NUFC

I can understand supporters of (say) Reading or Bolton saying that, but I have always been aware that (for many reasons) the City of Newcastle and Newcastle United are very attractive propositions for a player. At the moment, only the 'current top four' are more attractive, and I am betting that even that will change considerably, in the next year or so!

You do have a point, but if we were going to replace Martins hopefully the replacement would be "top 4" standard so we'd need to lure the player, which would be very hard against a top four team. And yes we probably are one of the best destinations outside top 4 and that will hopefully improve  8)

a) for that price

b) to come to NUFC

You do have a point, but if we were going to replace Martins hopefully the replacement would be "top 4" standard so we'd need to lure the player, which would be very hard against a top four team. And yes we probably are one of the best destinations outside top 4 and that will hopefully improve  8)

Personally, I think Martins will stay, and like you I think he would be a bit of an idiot to leave!

Myself, I never refer to the currently most successful teams in our league as the Top/Big Four (as this implies permanency, which I do not believe will be the case) only as - what they are - the "Current Top Four".

Guest niina

For £13m, if any clubs trigger Obafemi Martins contract, then I will let him go. From that kind of money, we can buy 2 other players (eg. 1 striker and 1 defender).

Also read somewhere that Martins will stay if he is equal in wage with Michael Owen 100k + per week, which is ridiculous I say. Owen is a proven goalscorer (as long as he is injury free), while Martins is hardly in the same class as Owen. So I say 60-80k per week maximum.

Look at Daren Bent in Spurs, I'm sure that he is nowhere near 100k per week (probably 60-80k per week maximum), although his price is about £17m (more expensive than Martins).

The main point is: if Martins want to stay without any moan (accept extented contract without clause, without increase in wage to the ridiculous amount), then it's good. If he (or his agent) start to moan, I will stay if I'm equal in wage with Owen blablabla, otherwise I will leave, then he can piss off :)

Guest Ridzuan

After hearing the conditions that Martins wants for him to stay here,then I would rather have him going.If he does indeed leave,I hope that we will buy another great striker.

i'd rather get rid of Owen, cause he'll be gone anyway in the winter/next summer and offer his massive wages to Martins..

only freddy shepherd can fuck things like that after he's no longer in charge..the fucking retarded morron.. what was he thinking?

get him out of the club NOW, his unique business sense will continue to cost us in the most incredible ways.. that's just the way he is

Where are the quotes from Martins where he says he wants equal pay with Owen? Or are you all just believing what you read?

Gone a bit quiet since your post so I guess the answer is "YES".

No shock really, said it before people will slag off things in the paper they don't want to believe but as soon as its something they do want to believe (Martins being a bit of a scapegoat at the moment) its taken as Gospel.

On a day when Chopra is likely to be sold for £5m, Nugent for £6m I would be very pissed off to lose Martins!

Guest Dr. Pongle

Where are the quotes from Martins where he says he wants equal pay with Owen? Or are you all just believing what you read?

Gone a bit quiet since your post so I guess the answer is "YES".

No shock really, said it before people will slag off things in the paper they don't want to believe but as soon as its something they do want to believe (Martins being a bit of a scapegoat at the moment) its taken as Gospel.

On a day when Chopra is likely to be sold for £5m, Nugent for £6m I would be very pissed off to lose Martins!

If we sign Deco then selling Martins would be total lunacy.

Deco threading balls through for him would be frighteningly good.

He's worth more than £13M after his debut season, that's for f****** sure.

At the very least he proved he could score goals in the top division (in a s**** team) and that he could stay fit for the vast majority of a huge campaign (in a s**** team) while carrying massive responsibility and everything as well.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I hope he stays at least another year and that we get rid of that escape clause.

worth more than 13mil when henry sold for 16? dont think so matey

At the very least he proved he could score goals in the top division (in a s**** team) and that he could stay fit for the vast majority of a huge campaign (in a s**** team) while carrying massive responsibility and everything as well.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I hope he stays at least another year and that we get rid of that escape clause.

Chopra £5m, Bent £16.5m etc....

Chopra £5m, Bent £16.5m etc....

bents better than martins and chopra

i also would prefer Martins than Bent

Martins scored 17goals altogether in his opening season in England

bent would oviously come to more money, so martins is cheaper

and who knows...Martins might score 20goals+ next season