Allardyce: Brede Hangeland not a player looked at

Guest Geordiesned

Guest Geordiesned

Link

FC Copenhagen have denied receiving a bid from Newcastle for Brede Hangeland.

The Norwegian international has been linked with a move to Tyneside by Scandinavian sources.

Newcastle are in need of major defensive reinforcements and even though they have already signed David Rozehnal, manager Sam Allardyce wants to improve his options further.

Hangeland only moved to the Danish capital from Viking last year, but he has impressed hugely with Copenhagen.

A host of clubs have been linked with his signature in recent weeks, but now Newcastle are said to be keen.

The player's agent Jim Solbakken refused to comment on the reported link with The Magpies.

"I do not want to comment on anything. Brede Hangeland is enjoying himself in FC Copenhagen," Solbakken told VG.

Copenhagen, though, have denied that Newcastle have lodged a bid.

"If Newcastle have tabled a bid, I should know about it and I don't know anything," said coach Stale Solbakken told VG.

Never heard of him. Anyone know anything about him?

Has been solid for the norwegian national team, and used to be a very consistent performer for Viking in the norwegian top division before he moved to denmark. Never seen him after that, but apparently he's been doing quite good in FC Copenhagen.

Think he'd be decent for us. Not sure if he's what we need at the moment, though.

Seen him a couple of times. Very solid defender and a big fellow as well, scores a fair amount on headers.

Nothing extraordinary, but could do the job.

A Big-Sam-kinda-player!

No please... Not good enough IMO.

He is very overrated here in Norway. The fact that he is Norwegian makes him overrated here... Just because he is decent (after norwegian standards) people think he is mint... He is good enough for a mid-table-team like Wigan, Fulham, Reading etc. or for a mid-table german team, but not a team with our aims. Not the player to get us in the top 6.

But when he moved from his (and mine  :)) youth-club Vidar to ''our'' local ''top''-club Viking I didnt think he could play at that level (two or three divisions difference) at once, but he did. And as I think someone said, maybe Sam could get something good out of him.

Sam, I have seen him more than you. I doubt he is good enough. But who knows? Maybe he could be a new Henning Berg or Ronny Johnsen (not while he played for us mind).

Guest teepee

no no no no nO NO NOOOOOOOO

i've seen quite a bit of this bloke at fc copenhagen - and he is no where near good enough for us!

he's had a decent half season this spring, but he'll get torn to pieces by the epl strikers.

BTW. I don't think there is anything in this. When I read this this mornig in a Norwegian paper, it said ''says VG(a norwegian paper)''... And why should VG know anything about what is going on between an English and Danish club before any others? They are usually several days late with rumors about transfer and shit. Would be typical Norwegian papers to just make it up because they don't have anything else to write as well. Like today Viking is playing against Vaalerenga and they wrote about how good Carew was for 7-8 years ago in the same match...

No please... Not good enough IMO.

He is very overrated here in Norway. The fact that he is Norwegian makes him overrated here... Just because he is decent (after norwegian standards) people think he is mint... He is good enough for a mid-table-team like Wigan, Fulham, Reading etc. or for a mid-table german team, but not a team with our aims. Not the player to get us in the top 6.

To be fair, he's one of the best norwegian defenders there is at the moment, but I agree he's not good enough for a top premier league side. He could, however, do a good job for us up until a certain point, and I'm sure Allardyce could bring out quite alot more of his potential. That said, it's a no-story really.

I'm curious though, who would you consider a "good" norwegian player? Of the ones playing in the norwegian top division at the moment, that is.

Well, I see now I should have written different. He is GOOD after Norwegian standards. He is THE best Norwegian CB IMO. And Panzer-Hagen is second.

TBH I don't follow Tippeligaen so close. Too low level. Though i support Viking FK, and partly 3. divisions (League 2 with lower level) Chelsea, Randaberg. Of the good players in the Norwegian top divison I can mention Kristoffer Hæstad (sorry for that letter), Marius Johnsen, Thorstein Helstad, Daniel Braathen on his good days, Alexander Ødegaard in his latest form and Sogndal-form and Per Ciljan Skjelbreid (Newcastle-fan as well) in a few years. That is those I can think of quickly, but IMO no one of these are anything for us. Maybe Skjelbreid, and loan him first a season to Rosenborg or any other Norwegian teams, then a year in the Championship, and then he can become our midfield-star  :). Maybe Hæstad and Braathen can become good players as well, but we saw how fantastic Hæstad was for Wigan so I wouldn't expect any of them to be good before a couple of years. I have probalby forgotten someone (not Andresen and Iversen mind ;)). The foreigners are better, Peter Ijeh, Edu for instance. Actually I think we should look at other countries than Norway. But Edu could be major!

Very slow player

Actually, he's fairly pacey. His acceleration isn't all that, but he seems to easily keep up with strikers considered to be very fast.

He's good enough to play in the Premiership, but maybe not in a side challenging for the top 4. I wouldn't mind him as a squad player.

Very slow player

Actually, he's fairly pacey. His acceleration isn't all that, but he seems to easily keep up with strikers considered to be very fast.

He's good enough to play in the Premiership, but maybe not in a side challenging for the top 4. I wouldn't mind him as a squad player.

The Times mentions that he is also a defensive midfielder. Does he play in this position regularly? Do you think it's possible that we might therefore be looking at him to play DM?

Guest teepee

he plays cb for copenhagen.

he's got a crouch-like-stature, which is probably to sam's taste. this is what worries me. i'm dead certain that he is not good enough for us

I think Hangeland is quality. He went stale at Viking, and after his move to Copenhagen he has really improved. He has been the most consistent performer in a struggling Norwegian side, and a top performer in a Copenhagen team doing well domestically and above expectations in Europe.

He is surprisingly good with the ball in his feet (which is why he has played some games as a DM), and surprisingly fast. He is a CB, and hasn't played THAT much DM. He played DM a while in a Viking team led by Roy Hodgson, but as I can remember, he wasn't too happy about that.

I wouldn't mind if he ended up in Newcastle.

He played DM for Viking for a while under Roy Hodgson (who considered him to be good enough for the EPL), but I don't think he'd be suited for the position in England. He does have some composure, but I don't think he'll get enough time on the ball as a DM to be able to pass well. I could be wrong, though.

We've actually been linked with him before:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/solpda/ukfs_sport/hi/newsid_4034000/4034217.stm