Allardyce: Brede Hangeland not a player looked at

Guest Geordiesned

I hate this "he must be better than Bramble" stuff :lol: People said that about Gooch but he looked worse to me.

If we are bringing players in I want them to be much better than the ones who were deemed not good enough, not just a bit better.

I don't see Allardyce bringing in players he hasn't already looked at.

Of course, I have faith in Allardyce its just the whole "well he must be better than xxxx" when we are linked with any player that gets me.

Very true, also the fact that people expect Allardyce to be looking at players with similar ability of people like Ramage and Bramble baffles me.

I read the People at work today on me break, and their description of this lad made him out to seem alright.  Although when I looked at the picture, he looked about 21.  Only when I read the article did I find out he's a bit older.

In my opinion, for £2.3m or whatever it is, you can't really go wrong.  Better than forking out £8m for a Jonny Foreigner that might not settle.  If he is shit, we could probably palm him back off elsewhere without making to much of a loss (or none at all).

I'm sure Sam's done his work on the bloke, so I personally trust him.  Still would like to see Barzagli and/or Heinze here though.

Guest Micktoon

Seen a fair bit of him over here, canny player, good in the air(should be he's eight foot nowt), can also find his way to the net. For 2.3 I would definitely have him.

Cue all the Danes who support us to come on here and tell everyone how shit he is, par for the course as he plays for Copenhagen!!

Guest Slagter_Palle

Playing for F.C Copenhagen doesn't mean you can cut the PL!!!!

He's a solid defender i the Danish League, but he would not be an impact for NUFC.

He's a solid defender i the Danish League, but he would not be an impact for NUFC.

This is such a silly comment. It has nothing to do with what league he plays in does it! It's about the individual's attirbutes as a player. If Sam has been watching him and thinks he can play in the premiership then he has every right to bring him in especially as at £2.3 million it would not be a huge risk.

Ben Haim was bought fromn the freakin' Israeli league and look at the player he turned out to be. You just cannot right of a player until you have seem them play for the team.The guy is an international player and he has champions league experience which is a lot more than what a lot of our other defenders have as far as experience goes!

Guest Micktoon

Yeah but 33 caps and champions league experience might have something to say in his favour.

Guest Slagter_Palle

This is such a silly comment. It has nothing to do with what league he plays in does it! It's about the individual's attirbutes as a player. If Sam has been watching him and thinks he can play in the premiership then he has every right to bring him in especially as at £2.3 million it would not be a huge risk.

Ben Haim was bought fromn the freakin' Israeli league and look at the player he turned out to be. You just cannot right of a player until you have seem them play for the team.The guy is an international player and he has champions league experience which is a lot more than what a lot of our other defenders have as far as experience goes!

I've watched most of his games since he joined F.C Copenhagen, and nowhere near conviced he would improve our team. It would be a big disapointment to me i we spend £ 2.3 mio. on him!

Guest SwissMagpie

Whats wrong if you bring him as a roatation player.bring another CB like Curtis Davies or Andea Barzgali and you have fine CB

More reworked quotes, etc so I think we're close to getting him sooner or later...:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478480&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=3&title=Magpies+target+Hangeland

At this stage I'd be happy with this signing, hes got CL experience, plays for a good club, has a physical presence and would work well with Roz I feel imo. If he does cost only £2.5m, then just get him in quick coz surely we can afford such a small amount, there'd be no real risk!

As I am Norwegian, it is a nice transfer for me, because then Newcastle would get more attencion in Norway. I have seen him quite a lot, playing for Norway and his earlier club Viking, and I would say he is solid enough to be a backup in Newcastle. He isn`t better than Taylor or Rozehnal at the moment. But the more defenders on the way in, the better!

Decent transfer, if it goes through...

Guest sicko2ndbest

United focus on right BredeJul 25 2007

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United are closing in on Norway international centre-back Brede Hangeland as Sam Allardyce looks to fill the gaping holes in his defence before the start of the Premiership campaign.

After an initial flurry of activity which saw him secure the signatures of Joey Barton, Mark Viduka, David Rozehnal and Geremi in quick succession, Allardyce has endured a frustrating fortnight in the transfer market.

The Newcastle manager left United’s training camp in Austria at the start of the month a few days earlier than expected in an effort to sign a defender, but he is believed to have failed to persuade the player to come to Tyneside. The Magpies also had a bid accepted for an unnamed Premiership defender last week, but that player also turned down the opportunity of a move to St James’s Park, even though his club had indicated they wanted to sell.

Allardyce, though, remains proactive and while he conceded his frustration last week at not being able to make more signings so far this summer, he is confident he will get the players he needs to strengthen a defence which has been Newcastle’s Achilles heel.

And The Journal understands the Magpies have identified the 6ft 5in Hangeland as a player who has the ability to succeed in the premiership

The 26-year-old, who was born in Texas, plays for Denmark’s FC Copenhagen and has been a key figure in the Norwegian national side for several years, winning 33 caps. His size gives him an imposing aerial presence and would appear to complement the pace of Rozehnal and the physical power of Steven Taylor, the two centre-backs who are already on the club’s books.

“There is a lot of interest in Brede,” said the player’s agent Jim Solbakken yesterday. “Yes, Newcastle are one of several clubs interested. Brede would definitely like to play in such a competition as the Premier League, but it depends on Copenhagen. If they receive the right offer and the right club comes in for Brede, maybe he could leave.

“We will wait and see what happens.”

Allardyce admitted last week he would rather sign players with Premiership experience, but Norwegian players have, in the past, been quicker to adapt to English football because of the similar style of play in the Scandinavian leagues.

Another defender who could be a Newcastle player before the start of the season is Reading’s England international right-back Nicky Shorey.

Shorey, who made his England debut against Brazil in May after a wonderful first season in the Premiership, has been offered a new contract at the Madejski Stadium but, perhaps mindful of interest from Newcastle and West Ham, has still not signed it. More talks are planned this week, with Newcastle watching events.

Reading are keen to hold on to the 26-year-old and would expect to receive more than £6m if they were forced to let him leave.

I doubt anyone is expecting him to slot right in as a first-choice CB, really. If he can go on and become as solid as Ronny Johnsen was for Man Utd for several years, he'd turn out to be a pleasant surprise and a bargain at £2.5m. Well worth it, in my opinion, and I would honestly prefer Hangeland to Davies at £8m ish.

I dont know about Davies lifestyle or how professional he is, there are many young players out there who like to have one or two nights out too much to party and live the superstar style because they are famous and rich. Not every young player is like Taylor.

And players from Norway, Denmark and Sweden to name few who come to the EPL often are very professional and reliable on and off the pitch.

Your rarely get anything extra special when signing players from these countrys. but you often get reliable and professional players that certainly live the right way and are often good guys.

Guest Danetoon

I live in Denmark and follow the Danish league very closely, and have seen Brede Hangeland play on numerous occasions for FC Copenhagen. In my opinion it would be stupid to sign him as he has not got the class to bring Newcastle forward. As a player he is great in the air and is pretty intelligent but except for that, he is nothing special. In the Danish league he very much take advantage of the fact that the team he plays for is a level above the rest of the Danish league and therefore he is not put under the same pressure as he would be in the premiere league. I’m pretty confident that having to deal with the kind of strikers that plays in the premier league he would struggle both physically, even though he is big, as well as with the pace.

But it all comes down to what role he is intended to play in the squad (if he is signed). I haven’t seen Rozehnal play but taking the amount paid for him into account I don’t think Ronehnal will be better than Taylor. Therefore I believe we need a world class CB to play alongside Taylor/Rozehnal. Brede Hangeland is probably a bit better than Ramage but they are about the same level and therefore it would be stupid money to spend on a player who would be competing for 4 choice at CB if a world class CB is signed but if we don’t get a world class CB, Hangeland would be ok for cover but nothing more.

I dont think he has been expecting the amount of knockbacks he has got from players.

He has hoped for One or Two to come in, every one of the last 3 weeks. With the Mort developments I think we will steam roll ahead over the next couple of weeks, I think it certainly held us back a little bit.

Big Sam - "Brede is not a player that I have watched".

from www.nufc.co.uk

He also says that they're working around the clock "to secure as many players as they can as quickly as they can".

Well, what the hell are we going to talk about now? Thanks, Sam!

Glad that Allardyce has denied this because if you look at comments from people who have seen this guy play, the general consensus seems to be that he's not good enough. 

Seems to me that a lot of people are happy with just anyone at the moment.  No need to panic buy, yet!

Guest toontoon

Aston Villa are to battle with Newcastle for FC Copenhagen centre-half Brede Hangeland and Porto right-back Jose Bingwa. (Daily Mail)

were being linked with him again.