A third of Bolton backroom staff mysteriously hand in notice

NSG

From the Mirror. not much new except the fact a lot of staff have left Bolton officially.

SAM Allardyce has angered Bolton by poaching seven of his old backroom team to join him at Newcastle.

The Toon boss plans to recruit almost a third of the staff he put together at The Reebok.

Most of his targets have handed in their notice in the past few days.

Wanderers chairman Phil Gartside is raging at the mass defection, which comes despite talk of "hands off" agreements with Allardyce, who quit as Bolton manager in April.

Relations between the pair are strained, with Allardyce branding Gartside "sad and bitter".

Newcastle's prize capture is "soccer professor" Mike Forde, but several medical, fitness and scouting staff are leaving Bolton.

Wanderers are considering putting many of those resigning on gardening leave, which would prevent them working for Newcastle straight away, although the clubs are discussing possible compensation.

Allardyce is interested in FC Copenhagen defender Brede Hangeland and may offer £2m.

The Norway centre-back, 26, joined the Danish side a year ago from Viking Stavanger.

Guest trotter58
Newcastle's prize capture is "soccer professor" Mike Forde, but several medical, fitness and scouting staff are leaving Bolton.

Mike Forde is not a 'soccer professor'. He isn't even from a football background. That's about as accurate as the story gets.

He's left it late enough, pre season's already started.

Aye he should have left and taken all his staff with him straight away.

We have about 6 weeks before we even start playing.

He's left it late enough, pre season's already started.

Aye he should have left and taken all his staff with him straight away.

We have about 6 weeks before we even start playing.

Are you saying he hasn't left it late then?

It's been going around for ages that his backroom staff would follow him, why drag it out this long? They should have been in place and familiar with the club before players stepped foot back in the training ground.

Not really, its unrealistic to expect him to instantly take all the staff he wanted to. Even if he did the compensation thing would have dragged on.

We have no idea what has been going on behind the scenes but people just seem to be complaining about stuff for the sake of it. If its not leaving it too late for staff its not signing world class players. Maybe with whats happened over the last few years we have all just used to the habit of moaning about everything.

Not really, its unrealistic to expect him to instantly take all the staff he wanted to. Even if he did the compensation thing would have dragged on.

We have no idea what has been going on behind the scenes but people just seem to be complaining about stuff for the sake of it. If its not leaving it too late for staff its not signing world class players. Maybe with whats happened over the last few years we have all just used to the habit of moaning about everything.

Or maybe people think he's above criticism like the Villa fans were with O'Neill last season?

I'm happy to give him credit for when he gets something right but as far as his back room staff go he's left it late.

Guest trotter58
I'm happy to give him credit for when he gets something right but as far as his back room staff go he's left it late.

That might be down to our end. I know that the Chairman isn't happy about Big Sam saying one thing and doing another. He might now be prepared to make life difficult. If staff are under contract they can't break it without a notice period like any other job.

That might be down to our end. I know that the Chairman isn't happy about Big Sam saying one thing and doing another. He might now be prepared to make life difficult. If staff are under contract they can't break it without a notice period like any other job.

If that was the case they would have put their resignation in weeks ago surely?

Guest LFEE

If that was the case they would have put their resignation in weeks ago surely?

Maybe the green light for the finances to hire these extra people has just been given? There has been a lot of turmoil at our club in case you have forgot. These people will be coming on decent size contracts.

All things considered i think we have done well to get the players and the background staff in so far as quick as we have with everything going on.

Let's hope this story has legs to it and that all 7 of the mooted staff are coming in, when you add Steve Round and the might of Pearson/Clark/McDermott to that, as well as the other subsidiary staff we have, the foundations seem to be getting well-laid ahead of the season.

As for the "lateness" of the proposed hirings, like others have said anything could have been happening away from the public eye in regards to this, for all we know there could have been multiple negotiations between the clubs where no compromise has been found, leaving the people themselves no option but to resign and then be employed by us directly afterwards. There are literally dozens of potential explanations for the delay and I'm sure we'll hear about them in due course.

Let's just hope the bulk of the staff are in place as soon as possible, with the season only being 5/6 weeks away.

Guest trotter58

Bolton fans are angry about this but at the end of the day these are people Sam recruited so if they want to leave with him why are they so surprised?

He may have recruited them but the club pays their wages so if the Chairman says that they must honour their contracts, then they're going to have to honout them.

Bolton fans are angry about this but at the end of the day these are people Sam recruited so if they want to leave with him why are they so surprised?

He may have recruited them but the club pays their wages so if the Chairman says that they must honour their contracts, then they're going to have to honour them.

Are the regulations not a fair bit different for staff to players? I'm not entirely sure on this but will staff not be able to resign with notice, or do they have to hand in a sort of "transfer request"? I understand that if we "poach" staff from Bolton then they'll be due compensation, but if Bolton won't play ball can the coaches/physios/whatever just hand in their notice and wait until they're free from the contract?

If Bolton are playing hardball then it could be reason for the delays.

EDIT: Obviously players can't exactly "resign", but they can buy out their contracts these days so maybe something similar has happened/will happen here?

He may have recruited them but the club pays their wages so if the Chairman says that they must honour their contracts, then they're going to have to honour them.

Are the regulations not a fair bit different for staff to players? I'm not entirely sure on this but will staff not be able to resign with notice, or do they have to hand in a sort of "transfer request"?

Just hand in notice - same with managers - remember Simon Jordan putting Steve Bruce on gardening leave?

Inevitably, an agreement will be reached, as Bolton wont want people around who have their hearts set on working for a rival company.

Question of priority Baggio, he seems to have devoted his initial efforts to the transfer market. Now he is focussing on the old getting to know each other. A Head of sports science or whatever wouldnt exactly be doing much at the moment as they need to get to know the players first before they can start on longer term fitness plans. 

but as far as his back room staff go he's left it late.

He has all of last season crew+ Round at the club now. Not ideal when we know who last seasons crew are. It has not stopped us signing players.

Guest trotter58
Are the regulations not a fair bit different for staff to players? I'm not entirely sure on this but will staff not be able to resign with notice, or do they have to hand in a sort of "transfer request"? I understand that if we "poach" staff from Bolton then they'll be due compensation, but if Bolton won't play ball can the coaches/physios/whatever just hand in their notice and wait until they're free from the contract?

If Bolton are playing hardball then it could be reason for the delays.

EDIT: Obviously players can't exactly "resign", but they can buy out their contracts these days so maybe something similar has happened/will happen here?

The staff are free to hand in their notice but the club is entitled to ask them to honour the notice period in their contract if they so choose. It will all depend on whether Sammy Lee actually wants any them to stay until he has found replacements. I suspect that he may not even want as many backroom staff as Big Sam. Remember that we currently have the biggest backroom staff in the Premier League!