Juan Roman Riquelme

Guest sicko2ndbest

over rated, needs you to build a team round him, and if he doesnt perform, the teams going to play s***, e.g. argentina vs germany. Hes a glitzy player who stands out in a rather mediocre team. wouldnt cut it over here, just another veron, needs time and every player to play to his style, never going to happen with us, ba  waste of money

Wouldn't exactly call the Argentina World Cup squad mediocre. I see your point about him needing too much space and time for the Premiership though.. Canny player for La Liga however..

Argentina bench Tevez to play Riquelme.

The team Riquelme is in becomes Riquelme dependant, everything is about him, if he failed in the Premiership, he'd fail big style because he'd look sh*t

Why would the team become Riquelme dependant if he were to fail in the first place?

Athletico are building a canny team

Forlan, Aguero, Riqueleme, Luis Garcia, Quaresma......

They could make a push for the champions league next yeatr if they dont fuck it up like usual.

I'm very surprised Liverpool have let Luis Garcia go for just £4-6m.

Good post about him on RAWK:

Frustrating? Was he fuck. Frustrating is the tepid, blunt football we play when he's not around. The predictable "spread it out wide and get balls into the box" football. This season - without Garcia around - I think all but 3 of our goals on the run to the CL final came from wide areas. In 2005 only 2-3 came from wide areas (I'm fairly sure this is what they said on Sky anyways).

A victim of the times and the league he plays in. A league more suited to hoofers with no guile, who are simply 'effective' but posses no vision. Back in La Liga the midfielders to aspire to be are the Xavi's, the Riquelme's and so forth. Here they're the Lampard's and Barton's. Praise for anyone with creativity seems reserved for Arsenal players on occasion.

Stick Garcia in that Arsenal side and we'd all be desperate to sign him. He scores, assists and is a master of one-touch, pass and move moments. The kind that have produced some of our best 'footballing' goals in recent years.

Frustrating is the football we played away to Villa and City or at home to the bitters. Garcia for me wasn't frustrating because you always knew when he was on the pitch he would get a chance. Whether he took it or not is debatable, but even in some of our most dour games like at home to Portsmouth this season, Garcia found himself space for two headed chances.

I'm absolutely gutted. He was the one spark we had. A genuine maverick and a player that atleast held back full-blown conformation that Rafa isn't after a machine-like Liverpool team. Garcia to me always represented, as much as anything else, Rafa's realisation that occasionally, you just have to be different. That even in Rafa's machine, there's the need for someone just a little special.

How do you replace the guy without spending £15m+ atleast? I always cringe when I see people mention players like Aimar as if they were better alternatives. Players who've never scored as much as Garcia and are equally 'frustrating'. The grass really is greener for some I suppose.

Who exactly do you get in that scores both jaw-droppingly beautiful goals but also scrappy tap-ins. Oh, and ghosts into the box for headers also. Who exactly do you get in that is genuinely two-footed and can play any number of roles? How many players are out there who can drop back into the hole and create like he did against Bolton and Spurs this season. Or score from that area like he has done against Spurs, Charlton and several others previously. Who else can do this but also back brilliant runs beyond the last defender like he did for goals against Sunderland, Norwich and Everton?

And if you do find this player, does he have the ability to play in 3 positions? Does he accept often being the '12th' player in the squad? Does he have the Luis Garcia knack of scoring in big games, or simply on big occasions. Garcia has 2 goals against Chelsea (both in semis), 2 in the derby, 2 against Arsenal (one in the dying moments that won us the game).

Even if you find a player that does all that on paper you're going to get quoted a massive price-tag. But because that player will then come with a reputation, you'll ignore his 'frustrating' moments, like when he loses the ball trying to create something.

I am fucking gutted today. We've lost the player we've needed for nearly 10 years. The player we were screaming out for in the Houllier years. And we've done so, quietly. This is a player who only last October was looking for a new contract. We could have had one prepared for him, and even sorted out behind the scenes from when he got injured. Oh well.

Goodbye Luis and best of luck. Atletico will now become my Spanish team, because Luis deserves to be showing his talent on the Champions League stage year in year out.

As for where we go from here, well, Torres will be nice, but we now are in desperate need of a spark. Someone with guile, craft and the ability to score and assist at critical times in matches.

Let's just hope Rafa can find another one of them for approximately £6m. I won't hold my breathe.

Everton's official website had the club's fans in raptures after announcing the signature of Argentine superstar Juan Roman Riquelme, ony for disappointment to hammer home when it was revealed the story was untrue and had been part of some test data which had been displayed in error.

Would have been gutted however he is not wanted by Villaraell

could we get him??

He is absolute class scored twice in a brilliant performance for the Argies last night.

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

I thought he retired from Internationals after the WC?? Quality player but cant see him coming to England...

i was impressed with d'allessandro when he was briefly at portsmouth, i prefer him.

Not exactly world class but a very good player. Took a while to adapt but by the time he left he was a good EPL player.

I think he signed for some Spanish team though this summer.

Riquelme is a fantastic player. I don't understand the sentiment that he would fail in the Premiership. Honestly his care of the ball is as good as Zidane's (was). His technique is fantastic and that'd be the reason he would succeed if given the time to adapt. His lack of pace wouldn't be a problem, as it's certainly not on the international stage and in La Liga because his control makes up for it. Just look at the way he shields the ball whenever he gets it, the technique and control is sublime. He'll be a hit here if a team is willing to take the risk with a player with such a fragile psyche. The only reason he would fail would be because his confidence would be shattered (as it easily is) by all the criticism he receives from his first mis-placed pass.

Newcastle isn't exactly the best place for somebody with his confidence. (or lack of it)

Then again, it's probably a good thing that he can't speak English.

Very good player. Can be just as influential as Ronaldinho if he gets a team built around him.

Everton's official website had the club's fans in raptures after announcing the signature of Argentine superstar Juan Roman Riquelme, ony for disappointment to hammer home when it was revealed the story was untrue and had been part of some test data which had been displayed in error.

Would have been gutted however he is not wanted by Villaraell

could we get him??

He is absolute class scored twice in a brilliant performance for the Argies last night.

The fans in raptures?

Not really. 95% of the reaction was "Wtf. This is weird/must be bollocks."

All it was is when you mouse over the main stories, an image comes up with a caption. There was a story about Andy Johnson with the correct image, linking to the correct story but the caption said "Riquelme signs three year deal"

Riquelme imo would fit very well into a three man midfield with two busier plays doing his dirty work, he is notably lazy at times and perhaps not what we really need i wouldn't mind a real midfeild destroyer with some decent presence add a bit of height and stature to our team must admit our midfield is a bit on the short side bordering on dwafrism some might say!

Guest brewer

over rated, needs you to build a team round him, and if he doesnt perform, the teams going to play s***, e.g. argentina vs germany. Hes a glitzy player who stands out in a rather mediocre team. wouldnt cut it over here, just another veron, needs time and every player to play to his style, never going to happen with us, ba  waste of money

Argentina were superb against Germany when Riquelme was on the field, and winning the game.

They lost it when he went off.

Guest gggg

Riquelme is a fantastic player. I don't understand the sentiment that he would fail in the Premiership.

Me neither. Considering midfielders like Gavin Mccann, Reo Coker, Jenas and Nigel Quashie play in this league he'd play off them off the park.

Riquelme is a fantastic player. I don't understand the sentiment that he would fail in the Premiership.

Me neither. Considering midfielders like Gavin Mccann, Reo Coker, Jenas and Nigel Quashie play in this league he'd play off them off the park.

Didn't he also give England, who feature the best of the premiership, absolute hell in the friendly against Argentina. I recall him bossing the whole match and leaving Ledley King running around in circles chasing his tail. I think that was one of the games where King was playing in the holding role.

Didn't he also give England, who feature the best of the premiership, absolute hell in the friendly against Argentina. I recall him bossing the whole match and leaving Ledley King running around in circles chasing his tail. I think that was one of the games where King was playing in the holding role.

I remember a game not long after we signed Viana where he came on at half-time, and passed England off the pitch. Remember in commentary after yet another pin-point cross-field pass, Gray turning to Tyler, "That wasn't Viana again was it?", Tyler saying, "Yes it was", to which Gray replied, "What a player". Look how that turned out!

I remember a game not long after we signed Viana where he came on at half-time, and passed England off the pitch. Remember in commentary after yet another pin-point cross-field pass, Gray turning to Tyler, "That wasn't Viana again was it?", Tyler saying, "Yes it was", to which Gray replied, "What a player". Look how that turned out!

I honestly think Viana was a case of mismanagement rather than him being a poor player. Also Riquelme has proved himself at every level. Viana was very much a player who we saw potential in.

Must be something wrong when Newcastle, Sporting Lisbon & Valencia have all deemed him not good enough to be a regular. Now at Real Murcia.

Fair enough. However, this doesn't apply with Riquelme though. He is an established player already. Besides every player brought in from abroad will have some element of risk. If Man U gave up on every foreigner after Veron then there would be no Ronaldo.