Roeder v Fat Sam

Guest TinoInHiding

Guest TinoInHiding

Always thought Roeder was a canny bloke; s*** manager but this is a bit over the top.....

FROM THE MIRROR...................

GLENN ROEDER last night accused new Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce of insulting the Toon Army by asking them to wait five years before he takes the club into the top six.

Former Toon manager Roeder launched a withering attack on Big Sam for trying to buy time with Newcastle's loyal supporters before the season has even begun.

And he also warned him that Alan Shearer will be waiting in the wings ready to take over if things go wrong at St James' Park.

Advertisement

Roeder was axed by chairman Freddy Shepherd before the end of last season, despite steering the club through a desperately difficult season ruined by an injury epidemic.

And now he says the Newcastle fans deserve more than the latest manager telling them they face more long years without a trophy.

"It's a sad excuse for Sam to ask the fans to be patient while he builds the team for the next five years," Roeder said.

"I think the supporters of Newcastle United will be angry at being asked to be patient. All they have ever done is show patience.

"The current squad finished last season well enough to be playing in Europe this season. Without so many injuries, we would have qualified again for Europe.

"Big Sam says he's aiming for a top-six finish in five years, but they should be finishing in the top six next season without any problems.

"He's already been able to strengthen the squad in a way that wasn't available to me, so I'm not sure quite what else he needs to get them into the top six.

"The world and his wife could see that Newcastle needed to strengthen its defence last season, now Sam has got those funds to do that and he should be grateful for them.

"Instead, he's making his excuses before a ball has even been kicked. The truth is that he hasn't got any excuses for not finishing in the top six.

"He's made criticisms of panic buys at the club but I'll stand by my record on that. Obafemi Martins was an outstanding success, Antoine Sibierski was the best free transfer of the season and the fans will see the best of Damien Duff when he recovers from injury.

"Saying it's a five-year job would be too much for most Newcastle fans. He doesn't have the right to ask them to be patient."

Despite last season's crippling injury list, which saw 13 players going under the surgeon's knife, Roeder guided Newcastle to a midtable finish in the Premiership and the last 16 of the UEFA Cup.

After Sir Bobby Robson, he has the best win-loss ratio of any manager at the club since Kevin Keegan and was looking forward to building on the work he had already done.

Roeder is fighting fit now and searching for a new challenge after gaining his UEFA Pro Licence last week with fellow past and present managers Mick McCarthy and Tony Adams.

His record now boasts two seventh-place Premiership finishes with West Ham and Newcastle, which places him among the most successful English managers of recent years.

He agrees with some of the criticisms Allardyce made of the support facilities at Newcastle but says he, too, was pestering Shepherd to make improvements.

And Roeder says the former Bolton boss's pleas to be given five years to bring a measure of success to Newcastle could spell danger for him given the lurking presence of Shearer.

"The other problem Sam has is that he and every other new manager will live under the shadow of Alan Shearer, who is the fans' favourite son and rightly so," Roeder said.

"Shearer will not wait for ever to manage the club. He was supportive of me last year and he could see that a rebuilding job had to be done.

"There will come a time when he will want to manage the club, and in those circumstances Sam can ask for five years - but I don't think he'll get that long.

"He is trying to buy himself some time before a ball has even been kicked. Sam should just be grateful for what he has got.

"The players he has got and the ones he has added should guarantee the club European football straightaway."

Guest Gemmill
:lol:  Every line I read of that I cringed slightly more.  By the time I'd finished my torso had swallowed my entire head like a fucking tortoise.  To say that he's got a cheek would be putting it extremely mildly.  Allardyce's moves in the transfer market this season have shown Roeder up to be even more of an amateur than I even thought he was.  What a prick.

"He's already been able to strengthen the squad in a way that wasn't available to me
  Free transfers not exist a year ago Glenn?  Or do you mean attracting premiership level players without breaking the bank on wages because you're a shit manager?

edit: can't be free's because he mentioned sibi ... I wish he'd have elucidated on that point.

"He's already been able to strengthen the squad in a way that wasn't available to me
  Free transfers not exist a year ago Glenn?  Or do you mean attracting premiership level players without breaking the bank on wages because you're a s*** manager?

edit: can't be free's because he mentioned sibi ... I wish he'd have elucidated on that point.

Sol Campbell on a free transfer might have made a world of difference. Roeder might still have a job.

I just wish he'd kept his mouth shut. But it looks like he's after work, he's got a tame journo to drop in those 'best english manager of recent years' lines and the price is providing good copy by attacking Sam...

Allardyce hasn't said that it would take 5 years to get us into the top six. The 'five years' was for building a trophy winning side, as far as I can remember.

I think Roeder's got a chip on his shoulder about his standing as a manager compared to others, and that bitterness is creeping out here. It's a shame, because he has made a contribution, and he didn't inherit the job under the favourable conditions that Allardyce is enjoying.

He shouldn't be trying to stir up trouble for a fellow manager by encouraging the fans to raise their expectations though.

I really hope Allardyce responds to this.

I don't. The last thing we need is to see our present and former managers slagging each other off in the press.

Also, I was really hoping that with the change in ownership to someone possessing a brain, we'd now be past this whole "Shearer for manager" madness.

Sam quite clearly stated that he saw it taking 3 years to put us 'where we belong' when I was at SJP last Thursday. Sometime between last Thursday and last weekend he has tried to get himself 2 more years.

He will not get 3 years never mind 5. I personally think he's done well in the transfer market and don't see why we shouldn't fight Spurs for 5th - or if Arsenal or Liverpool slip up even 4th.

Guest Darth Toon

That's self-delusion on an intergalactic scale right there.

Do everyone a favour Glenn and shut up - you're embarrassing yourself.

Allardyce hasn't said that it would take 5 years to get us into the top six. The 'five years' was for building a trophy winning side, as far as I can remember.

I think Roeder's got a chip on his shoulder about his standing as a manager compared to others, and that bitterness is creeping out here. It's a shame, because he has made a contribution, and he didn't inherit the job under the favourable conditions that Allardyce is enjoying.

He shouldn't be trying to stir up trouble for a fellow manager by encouraging the fans to raise their expectations though.

It's probably a bit of revenge for what Sam said when Roeder was appointed.

Sam quite clearly stated that he saw it taking 3 years to put us 'where we belong' when I was at SJP last Thursday. Sometime between last Thursday and last weekend he has tried to get himself 2 more years.

He will not get 3 years never mind 5. I personally think he's done well in the transfer market and don't see why we shouldn't fight Spurs for 5th - or if Arsenal or Liverpool slip up even 4th.

The five years related to "long term success and stability" the likes of Manchester achieved. So it isn't really a contradiction.

Ah, I was forgetting that. That would only add to the bitterness.

Guest elbee909

Ah, I was forgetting that. That would only add to the bitterness.

Sam did turn out to be right though, really.  Roeder was a waste of time.

Roeder making commenst like these really doesn't help us, it will only excite the nob heads who still think we can win the league.  I have heard people moaning already about Sam Allerdyce regarding his signings!

:rant:

Guest Robin

I really hope Allardyce responds to this.

I don't. The last thing we need is to see our present and former managers slagging each other off in the press.

Also, I was really hoping that with the change in ownership to someone possessing a brain, we'd now be past this whole "Shearer for manager" madness.

Absolutely agree with "I don't".  Also, I think we are past the "Shearer for manager" thing, it is only those who forget that FFS has no power any longer who are stuck with it.  Shearer has not taken it on board either if one looks at his comments in that interview about Bellamy.  He will get a shock when he turns up to take over and is told to s*d off

Guest Wally_McFool

"The current squad finished last season well enough to be playing in Europe this season.

Dear Glenn,

Scoring no goals at home for "months" does not represent form that enables one to qualify for Europe.

You sir, are losing it!

in response to roedebots wider comments about allardyce asking for time he's so fucken dull he can't see what allardyce is doing - for years upon years we've seen unrealistic goals set to our managers by fat fred and allardyce is patently attempting to reverse that trend

in my opinion, privately (given the players at the club and the signings he's already made, with the assumption of more to come) allardyce should and probably will be aiming for 4th place next season

if he fails then fine, no-one expected it, but if he's not even aiming for that he's an idiot

and he's not an idiot glenn

I'd imagine that Roeder's comments may have been written down slightly out of context & it is hardly a withering attack. It is information we already know. Methinks the article is deliberately slanted to appear to slag Sam off & to say that Roeder got stiffed. Roeder is an ex captain & manager I think he is entitled to an opinion on things.

Facts are that Sam has said that any new manager of Newcastle needs time (he made reference to his building process at Bolton), Newcastle fans do generally want instant success (paradox being that we have been starved for soo long), Shearer does caste a shadow (he has recently publically stated that he wants to manage the club & it is the only club he would manage) we did have a horrendous injury list & Roeder didn't have much money, in comparison to other managers, to spend.

MA will not allow Sam more than 2 years to show real progress. Roeder's "withering attack" simply fills in blank space on a newspaper.

The fact that Roeder should never have been made manager in the first place & completely lost the plot last season is a completely different matter.

So far Big Sam has:

Told FFS it's his way or nothing

Done what the last 2 managers should have done in getting rid of Titus Bramble

Brought a new, proven modern era of management to the club

Brought in 4 quality signings without breaking the bank

Acted quickly in the transfer market so as not to lose out to other clubs

Sought to rid the club of it's injury epidemic

Yep, he's crap alright!

What on earth did Roeder hope to achieve? Muppet!

Don't see how this can be taken out of context.. "It's a sad excuse for Sam to ask the fans to be patient while he builds the team for the next five years," Roeder said.

Roeder is clearly feeling a bit bitter, and unfortunately also shows he understands the fans no better now than when he started the job.

All I'm saying is that we don't (well I don't) have the full interview or how it was said. I think the article is there to create mischief & should be disregarded.

I think Roeder did understand the fans but was unable to do anything about it; as much through his own failings as through the limits put on him. He should never have accepted the job in the first place.