Ashley to "stun the football world" with big signings

NSG

NSG, i prefer it when you read the article for me and make stuff I have to read bold, can you do that in future thank you please

Concentrate on the bits that have speech marks at either end. Dead easy.

Guest ExiledGeordie

After more than a decade of quite frankly embarrassing back fours, I'm sure Allardyce will want to make this his priority for the rest of the summer.  I bet Shay Given is excited, lol

Guest Guinness

Just as with the "£50m" transfer kitty articles there's no direct quotes from anyone other than a "source" close to Ashley. Will believe it when I see it, but I won't get my hopes up.

Just as with the "£50m" transfer kitty articles there's no direct quotes from anyone other than a "source" close to Ashley. Will believe it when I see it, but I won't get my hopes up.

Agreed there's nothing 'concrete' here, but it sounds positive. Although Ashley surely hasn't bought  us to piss about imo. It would be very unlikely he'd not give BS a fairly big Wedge to spend if he really wanted it. I bet BS doesn't know whats hit him, suddenly he's got some money to spend after years of practically nothing !!

to "stun the world of football" though you'd be talking Kaka, Gerrard, Terry etc etc and i can't quite see them wanting to move just yet  :coolsmiley:

Guest Guinness

Heard George Best is impressed by our ambition, but Kaka is a bit put off because we can't guarantee him a place in the starting 11.

That could all change if the "highly rated" Matty Pattison gets his wish of a transfer away from the club.

“The transfer deadline is not until the end of August and the feeling here is United could be about to pull out all the shots to land a big one.”

That's it. That's the only quote about this in the article. The bit about "And that will possibly include the arrival of a big-name player that will stun the soccer world" is the journalists (Olivers?) interpretation of that.

I think 'stun the soccer world' signings (Ronaldinho, Torres, Eto'o, Terry, Lampard etc.) are not going to happen. Personally I think the signings are coming up well so far, another 4 or 5 like this and we'll be fine.

Guest alex

i'm sure we've heard this sort of talk before.

aye, trophy signings etc etc.

No clauses though this time please.

We will see, but I think that in the real world, outside of the teams who are regularly playing in the Champions League, these big players insist on them and if you dont' let them have it they will go somewhere else.

Still, pleased you don't dispute the "trophy signing" comment. Would signing Tevez not be a trophy signing, when Owen was ? [despite everyone being pretty pleased about it at the time ?]

Hmmm interesting ...

Not sure how true this is, but if I was going to put money on it I would say Deco.

The article claims it is close to happening and we have been holed up in Barcelone for days now. Barcelona have since allegedly put in a bid for fat Frank.

Deco is still a big name and is at the age where he might consider a challenge like ours as he has achieved a lot at Barca and has just turned 30.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I won't be losing sleep if we don't make any "world class" sigings though. i love what we have been doing so far this summer.

Guest alex

We will see, but I think that in the real world, outside of the teams who are regularly playing in the Champions League, these big players insist on them and if you dont' let them have it they will go somewhere else.

Still, pleased you don't dispute the "trophy signing" comment. Would signing Tevez not be a trophy signing, when Owen was ? [despite everyone being pretty pleased about it at the time ?]

I was only joking man. I'd be over the moon with someone like Tevez. I think the players we've got in could make us top 8 or better but a top-notch flair player could make a massive difference. I'm not getting carried away though, even someone like Tevez wouldn't mean we'd definitely finish 5th, let alone top 4. Spurs will be even better next year and the top 4 will be very hard to break into. I don't think we've got much to worry about beyond those though.

I was only joking man. I'd be over the moon with someone like Tevez. I think the players we've got in could make us top 8 or better but a top-notch flair player could make a massive difference. I'm not getting carried away though, even someone like Tevez wouldn't mean we'd definitely finish 5th, let alone top 4. Spurs will be even better next year and the top 4 will be very hard to break into. I don't think we've got much to worry about beyond those though.

So am I. I always did think it was fantastically amusing every time I saw this "trophy player" phrase. The cure of course being a few years of mediocre ones.

And when I say mediocre, I mean mediocre.