Ashley to "stun the football world" with big signings

NSG

Hmmm interesting ...

Not sure how true this is, but if I was going to put money on it I would say Deco.

The article claims it is close to happening and we have been holed up in Barcelone for days now. Barcelona have since allegedly put in a bid for fat Frank.

Deco is still a big name and is at the age where he might consider a challenge like ours as he has achieved a lot at Barca and has just turned 30.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I won't be losing sleep if we don't make any "world class" sigings though. i love what we have been doing so far this summer.

Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite is one of the finest players in the world. This is quite ironic considering that you are one of the worst posters.

I often wonder about people who go out of their way to comment on how awful other people's posts are. If you have a counter argument then make it. If the post irritates you so much or indeed the thread then go to a thread that is more worthy of your brilliance O great one that thou art.

The article has pretty much nowt in the way of any real information, but it may be accurate speculation as I've suspected for a while that the plan may be to assemble a nice, solid, deep squad with one real difference maker of a player brought in as well.

So far we've basically spent nowt, as the fees for Rozenhal and Barton are more or less offset by the sale of Parker, while Viduka and Geremi moved for free.

As it stands our squad of players that we should be comfortable with playing a part next season looks as follows

Keepers: Given, Harper

Sorted

Defenders: Taylor, Rozenhal, Ramage, Babayaro, Solano, Geremi, Carr

Assuming that Geremi and Solano are going to compete mostly for the RB spot with Carr. A new LB is essential, Babayaro is adequate back-up for now. We need to buy another CB to challenge Taylor and Rozenhal, Ramage will suffice as 4th choice.

We may look to add a RB depending on how we want to use Geremi and Solano.

Midfielders: Milner, N'Zogbia, Butt, Emre, Barton, Duff, Dyer, Luque

Question marks over Luque, obviously. I reckon we'll look to add an imposing DM but other than that our midfield looks good, especially with Geremi and Solano well able to play there.

Strikers: Owen, Martins, Viduka, Ameobi.

Sorted, by and large. I would assume the big name player we would be targetting will be very attack minded so he will only add to this depth.

So I reckon we need a good CB, a good LB and a good DM. All of which can be acquired  for less than 20m quid very easily.

There's a chance we will lose Owen or Martins, obviously. In such an instance, spending big on a striker is a must. Should they stay, though, I reckon that we'll have a pretty tidy squad next season if we get the players outlined above. I would assume Sam will at least have 15m to spend so I doubt it'll be a problem getting them.

So with a relatively small budget (compared to what's been rumoured) we have a very tidy squad that should be able to at least challenge for a Top 6 spot next season.

Add a stack of cash enough to buy a really, truly world class player to the mix and we could have an outside chance of cracking the Top 4 if one the big teams has a dodgy season.

Re: Trophy signings. Tevez (I'm convinced that's the player in question, if only through my own blind fantasy) would be nothing of the sort. It's only a trophy signing in my book if you're splurging all your cash on a big name player while ignoring vital needs in other areas of your team. Owen was such to an extent, as the rest of our squad was very shallow in a number of areas, which came back to haunt us inevtably when we lost Owen.

If we buold a deep, solid squad as outlined above then we would be in a position to add someone of realy world-class to an already very solid team, someone that would give us a real spark, without being a player we're completely dependant on.

There are few players in the world who can really dictate a game, and to get them you generally have to spend a lot of money. If there's truly big money to spend this season I would not be at all adverse to us spending a hefty portion of it on just one player, as I believe that we're already only a few signings away from having a very solid squad.

Good post that, mate. O0

As for Tevez, he's the only World class player available to us where his club don't have much of a say about the situation, If West Ham had the money I'm sure they would have signed him up properly by now, I'm not sure he'd move here but it would be up to Allardyce to sell the clubs potential to him.

If he were to sign then I could see Allardyce sticking to his 4-3-3 formation with Tevez playing as the attacking midfielder in the same role as Lampard, he'd have no defensive responsibilities and would have a free role to create as much havoc as possible.

f****** stupid thread full of f****** stupid posts, tbh. This one actually raises the bar, s*** though it also is.

"Newcastle-Online's Most Contructive Poster"  - You build house's or summick? 

Guest LFEE

Good post that, mate. O0

As for Tevez, he's the only World class player available to us where his club don't have much of a say about the situation, If West Ham had the money I'm sure they would have signed him up properly by now, I'm not sure he'd move here but it would be up to Allardyce to sell the clubs potential to him.

If he were to sign then I could see Allardyce sticking to his 4-3-3 formation with Tevez playing as the attacking midfielder in the same role as Lampard, he'd have no defensive responsibilities and would have a free role to create as much havoc as possible.

Their chairman was quoted on the radio saying they had Tevez on a playing contract for  the next 3years. If that is true i don't understand why the media are keep reporting that they are offerering £115k per wk etc etc to stay and sign a contract.

And if they have not got a playing contract then how did they get found not guilty in the Sheff Utd case?

Guest Vigge

Dutch passion with a touch of england and africa lads. Get us  Bridge, Sneijder and Van der Vaart add to that Beye and poach Huddlestone from spurs and we are good to go for the top 6, if not half the squad gets injured like last season.

Sneijder- Great passing creative centeral midfield player

Hudlestone- Great talent could be a great midfield enforcer

Van der Vaart - Put him in a free cutting striker role at the left side

Beye - Captain of Marsielle, Great character can play both cb and rb probably good for our side

Add to that Anderade and Colocini from Depor and we are mint if I could pull that for 50 million quid I'd do it in a heartbeat, 60 mil still in a heartbeat.

Guest Toonie

I think we should sign Rafa Van der Vart, he is going to become one of the best players in the world soon. We need to get young guys who are 19/20 and younger and will develop into world class players as Ajax does.

Guest Robin

None of the players we've signed though exactly grab you by the b*llocks though.

Vinnie Jones, then  :yorkie:

:violent4:

With the story about Tevez & Manure, it seems to me that only Huntelaar falls into the 'shock the football world' category - Ronaldinho & Eto look unbuyable at this time...

Unless Fergie is going to replace Rooney with Tevez...!!!

Of course, it could be a defender.....

Deco is the sort of player that Allardyce has gone for in the past with Bolton eg Djourkieff, Okocha - nearing the end of their careers but able to add something extra to a team. Some older players, like Hierro, have also been attracted to the idea of learning from Allardyce's scientific training methods before they become coaches themselves. So, on reflection, it's maybe not so outlandish an idea.

I think he's a great player, and although he's only small I think he can survive the physical side of the Premiership.

I reckon we'll get a huge signing end of August. Nice way to finish the summer and give the club a boost as the season starts.

Perhaps.

But don't you think we need to get away from the "one huge signing" (Owen / Shearer, whoever) once-in-a-blue-moon style of thing?

If we mean (post-Ashley style) BIG-business, it needs to be consistently at that level (ie, 'more than one') or we should just continue the structured squad building that Big Sam is currently doing, at the financial/quality level he is currently doing it.

I am very happy with what he is doing at the moment, and it needs to continue (I'm sure it will) a while yet.

I reckon we'll get a huge signing end of August. Nice way to finish the summer and give the club a boost as the season starts.

Will never happen. Big Sam will want all his signings wrapped up asap. Judging by his early moves and his own methods, he wants his players getting as full a pre-season TOGETHER as is possible.

Keep your eyes peeled. IF we sign someone big this summer (and its not 100% for me), it will happen faster than the fat one can chew, and you'll miss it even if you think about blinking. Seems to be the way Cutthroat Ashley likes to do things, and it's certainly a breath of fresh fucking air!!

Guest exilim

Will never happen. Big Sam will want all his signings wrapped up asap. Judging by his early moves and his own methods, he wants his players getting as full a pre-season TOGETHER as is possible.

Keep your eyes peeled. IF we sign someone big this summer (and its not 100% for me), it will happen faster than the fat one can chew, and you'll miss it even if you think about blinking. Seems to be the way Cutthroat Ashley likes to do things, and it's certainly a breath of fresh f****** air!!

However, Bolton Wanderers swooped in and on August 25 2006, manager Sam Allardyce announced that he had signed Anelka on a four year deal for a club record of £8m.

Your statement aren't necessarily true but, "Anelka took time to settle in at Bolton, and took until 25 November 2006 to score his first league goal for the club."

That might be the downside of a player who did not go through the pre-season together.

We need some very good defenders if we are to progress, we'll need those soon as well. Will have to start the preseason together i reckon.

A flair ACM would be great but who could we sign?

I'd like to see us get a class RW.

Keep your eyes peeled. IF we sign someone big this summer (and its not 100% for me), it will happen faster than the fat one can chew, and you'll miss it even if you think about blinking. Seems to be the way Cutthroat Ashley likes to do things, and it's certainly a breath of fresh f****** air!!

However, Bolton Wanderers swooped in and on August 25 2006, manager Sam Allardyce announced that he had signed Anelka on a four year deal for a club record of £8m.

Your statement aren't necessarily true but, "Anelka took time to settle in at Bolton, and took until 25 November 2006 to score his first league goal for the club."

That might be the downside of a player who did not go through the pre-season together.

Keep in mind that Bolton had never signed a player of that calibre before, and it may have taken some convincing for Anelka to join, hence a delayed decision.

I'll be believe it when I see it. For one thing it's the Chronicle, and for another while Ashley's in charge, I've been left sceptical because of all the sh!te Shepherd used to bellow out of his fat mouth - remember when we would be 'pleasantly suprised' after Woodgate left?

I hope it's true, but forgive me if the combination of the Chronicle and the previous regime leave me dubious.

Guest exilim

Or maybe, pazzini, montolivo, freddy adu, daniel de rossi, pandev, quaresma, diego, kun aguero, forlan. :lol:

Perhaps.

But don't you think we need to get away from the "one huge signing" (Owen / Shearer, whoever) once-in-a-blue-moon style of thing?

No, we need to get away from buying a big player that the team doesn´t need just to gloss over the rest of the problems at the club.  There´s no reason what so ever why we have to either do lots of small signings or lots of big signings..  Surely we just buy the players the manager thinks we need.  If Ashley says to Allardyce "I´ll go out and get one or two huge signing/s for you outside of the players you´ve already identified/signed, who do you want?" then what´s wrong with that?..  As long as that signing is chosen by the manager and doesn´t mean that other area´s of the team have to suffer (which has been the main problem with some of our big signings in the past) then there´s nothing wrong with it at all.

I'll be believe it when I see it. For one thing it's the Chronicle, and for another while Ashley's in charge, I've been left sceptical because of all the sh!te Shepherd used to bellow out of his fat mouth - remember when we would be 'pleasantly suprised' after Woodgate left?

I hope it's true, but forgive me if the combination of the Chronicle and the previous regime leave me dubious.

Wasn't the pleasant suprise a failed bid for Rooney?