Ashley to "stun the football world" with big signings

NSG

People are getting carried away IMO.

Do you not remember our position last season?

I really do not see what our league position last season, has got to do with anything!!

Things have changed SO much since then.

It is fairly irrelevant, don't you think?

No not really no.

Sam is doing the things that we have needed for so long, building a squad. Yet everyone is having a go at him and his signings already.

Best fans in the world my f****** arse.

bit over the top don't you think ?

Guest gggg

Most clubs are the same to be fair, West Ham and Man City have a bit of money now and suddenly they are top clubs who everyone wants to sign for and want to finish top 10.

I really do not see what our league position last season, has got to do with anything!!

No not really no.

Sam is doing the things that we have needed for so long, building a squad. Yet everyone is having a go at him and his signings already.

Not really no.

I've read a lot of people going oh these aren't the such and such players and aren't really capturing our imaginations. These have been the sort of players we have been crying out for. Build upon solid foundations man for christ sake.

No not really no.

Not really no.

I've read a lot of people going oh these aren't the such and such players and aren't really capturing our imaginations. These have been the sort of players we have been crying out for. Build upon solid foundations man for christ sake.

it seems like the majority are very happy with the signings so far but naturally would like some world class stars to come in.

No not really no.

Where we happened to end up in the league last season, is about as relevant to the future (as a result of Ashley mainly, but Allardyces influence, strongly, also) as where we finished in (say) 1977!!

There is no connection at all.

I do totally agree with you that Sam is really doing his part well (you say "Sam is doing the things that we have needed for so long, building a squad") and he will have set good foundations by the end of August - hopefully sooner, he has started well.

You know, many of us (most of us) feel the same as you do and are not "attacking" Sam.  There are idiots supporting every club.  Sam was (pre-Ashley) the VERY best choice of manager, for me. Now (post-Ashley) he is 'even more' the best choice. He is the best English manager of his time, managing the only big club that is owned by an English billionaire.  This is not a racist comment (though some idiots may see it as such - who cares!) it is just that it all "fits" sublimely well!

Allardyce will deal well with the world class type of purchasing (still wheeler-dealing, no matter at what 'strata' or price-level he is dealing at) that the Ashley money (added to our own large income) will enable him to acquire  -  every bit as he is doing at the current 'squad-building' level.

The future is brand new and VERY bright, and bears little or no relationship, or link, to either our distant or recent past.

Things have changed so much since last season, we don't look as if anything will be the same so a lot of the changes will or should have an immediate impact.

I expect that the crowd will be more positive and will make more noise and by doing so will lift the players more than we did last season, that's got to be worth something during home games.

The manager has changed for the better, Allardyce should be worth some points.

We have a better forward line just by having Owen fit and we have Viduka who I expect will score more than the often used Sibierski, again, more points.

Parker has been replaced with Barton, I didn't think Parker was shite like some people but I didn't think he really fitted in very well for a lot of games, Barton will probably have more of a positive influence on the team, I expect he will drive us forwards more than Parker did, more points.

Our defence will not include Bramble, and we'll not be relying on an unfit Moore.  I hope we have a settled back 4, if that's the system we use, a settled back 4 should do better than the one we had last season which changed as often as the weather, we just need them playing week in and week out.  I'd still like to see a leader drafted into our defence because we've been missing that type of player for a long time.  Sort a settled back 4 out and give them a leader to organise them and again, more points.

That's without anything which might be improved away from the team that's picked.  That's without the current players possibly having more stamina during a game, being prepared better and actually working with tactics and a plan.  That's without the players who didn't appear to be working for Roeder starting to work for Allardyce, that's without our current players playing better than they did last season because they are trained better, I'm assuming that they will be trained better because I'm assuming that Allardyce has better training methods than Roeder even though a lot of our training staff are still the same, I expect they'll be given different orders under a different manager, one who actually knows what he's doing.

No not really no.

Not everyone is having a go at Allardyce, I've seen very few really have a go at him.

As for us not being the best fans in the world, we're almost certainly not.  I would say we're one of the best in this country, give Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal our lack of success and I doubt they'd have 52,000 people turning up, give us the success they've had and we'd have many 1,000's more at every game if we had a ground big enough to take them.

Things have changed so much since last season, we don't look as if anything will be the same so a lot of the changes will or should have an immediate impact.

I expect that the crowd will be more positive and will make more noise and by doing so will lift the players more than we did last season, that's got to be worth something during home games.

We have a better forward line just by having Owen fit and we have Viduka who I expect will score more than the often used Sibierski, again, more points.

Parker has been replaced with Barton, I didn't think Parker was shite like some people but I didn't think he really fitted in very well for a lot of games, Barton will probably have more of a positive influence on the team, I expect he will drive us forwards more than Parker did, more points.

Our defence will not include Bramble, and we'll not be relying on an unfit Moore.  I hope we have a settled back 4, if that's the system we use, a settled back 4 should do better than the one we had last season which changed as often as the weather, we just need them playing week in and week out.  I'd still like to see a leader drafted into our defence because we've been missing that type of player for a long time.  Sort a settled back 4 out and give them a leader to organise them and again, more points.

That's without anything which might be improved away from the team that's picked.  That's without the current players possibly having more stamina during a game, being prepared better and actually working with tactics and a plan.  That's without the players who didn't appear to be working for Roeder starting to work for Allardyce, that's without our current players playing better than they did last season because they are trained better, I'm assuming that they will be trained better because I'm assuming that Allardyce has better training methods than Roeder even though a lot of our training staff are still the same, I expect they'll be given different orders under a different manager, one who actually knows what he's doing.

I do agree with all of those sentiments Mick but you know what our fans are like as soon as expectations are raised and we don't fulfill then, fickle as fuck.

I hope all those that booed us against Wolves in 2004 are fucking happy that's all I'm saying.

Not really no.

People wanting better than we've got shouldn't be seen as a problem, I'm sure Allardyce wants the same, I'm sure he'll want better but he's getting the best that he can for now and will probably get better player as and when they become available.

That’s what the fans want and I’m sure you’re the same.  I don’t see wanting better as being a problem, it’s the only way to move forward.

Not really no.

People wanting better than we've got shouldn't be seen as a problem, I'm sure Allardyce wants the same, I'm sure he'll want better but he's getting the best that he can for now and will probably get better player as and when they become available.

That’s what the fans want and I’m sure you’re the same.  I don’t see wanting better as being a problem, it’s the only way to move forward.

Which is what I've been saying.  blueyes.gif

Parker has been replaced with Barton, I didn't think Parker was s**** like some people but I didn't think he really fitted in very well for a lot of games, Barton will probably have more of a positive influence on the team, I expect he will drive us forwards more than Parker did, more points.

I do agree with all of those sentiments Mick but you know what our fans are like as soon as expectations are raised and we don't fulfill then, fickle as f***.

I hope all those that booed us against Wolves in 2004 are f****** happy that's all I'm saying.

thats nowt,what about those who booed after the fulham game when we were going for the title.

i'm a firm believer that over 50% of every football crowd are fucking idiots who understand sod all about the game or their club.

I do agree with all of those sentiments Mick but you know what our fans are like as soon as expectations are raised and we don't fulfill then, fickle as f***.

I hope all those that booed us against Wolves in 2004 are f****** happy that's all I'm saying.

I know what you mean, the empty seats for a team who qualified for Europe still boils my piss, I just hope we've all learned something from that and I think we have.  It has been an expensive way to learn a lesson though.

Is it "having a go at Sam" to say that any of the four signings we've made could flop because all have doubts over them? Viduka-fat and lazy, Barton-trouble, Rozenhal-unproven, Geremi-no regular football in years. I think some people need a bit of perspective, the way some people are going on you'd think we've just signed Ronaldinho, Kaka, Alves and Nesta. Those are the people getting "carried away".

I think we've done bloody well in terms of net spending, we've got excellent VALUE for our money so far. You might think we've got 4 excellent players, that's your opinion. You can call people sh*t fans for not agreeing with you but that says more about you than it does them.

pretty hard attracting a world class big money signing that the chronicles harping on about when all we can offer is domestic football unless they can be persuaded to join the revolution ,imho 5 or six top draw additions to the squad would suit me and we can qualify for europe and show our intentions to take on the elite .

I know what you mean, the empty seats for a team who qualified for Europe still boils my piss, I just hope we've all learned something from that and I think we have.  It has been an expensive way to learn a lesson though.

which is "just the same as" selling our best trophy players, getting relegated and spending years trying to get promoted again in front of sub-20,000 crowds, according to you

Please clarify that this is correct, or admit the ousted board have raised expectations of NUFC fans massively.

Guest LFEE

pretty hard attracting a world class big money signing that the chronicles harping on about when all we can offer is domestic football unless they can be persuaded to join the revolution ,imho 5 or six top draw additions to the squad would suit me and we can qualify for europe and show our intentions to take on the elite .

I also think the style of play we end up playing will be important and that is also why some of the more lavish signs will have to wait until next season if all goes well.

Lets not kid ourselves. Bolton were pretty awful to watch if just going off playing against us if nothing else. That is not to say Sam will do the same here...but i think it is a case of wait and see for some players as well as us.

Ashley's net worth is comparable to Randy Lerner's, in that he's a low-ball billionare compared to Roman. I'm a expecting a similar outlay, and Sam is going to have to wheel & deal.

I´d hardly call $4 billion low-ball, nor is it really comparable to Lerners personal fortune of $1.6 billion tbh.

Do you see both sub-five billion net worth owners splashing the cash - and Lerner/Villa hasn't exactly set the transfer market alight over the course of consecutive transfer windows - after putting up a considerable outlay to secure their respective club ownerships?..... and football clubs don't offer a quick return on such investments.

I don't. Allardyce's ability to secure tried & tested journeymen will come in handy

it will, but at the same time it we wont have to rely on it

journeyman weren't the target for most of Shepherd's reign and the same applies for Ashley......... i hope

It has nothing to with the type of players Ashley wants to sign whether they be 'future stars' or 'experienced journeymen'. The board applies a budget and the manager works within the confines of that budget. Names are put forward by the manager, the board backs the manager's judgement/the team building priorities whatever that may be, and those targets are secured within the the limits of that budget.

We chased big-names, especially recently & this contradicts Shithead's comments this week, in the last couple of years because Souness needed franchise-type players - ie. match-winners/Owen - after ripping up any sort of semblance of team building during his reign.

Until we show consistent ambition by results & performances, we are not going to attract the top players - I've said this before, but it continues to amaze me that people think the best players are going to fall over themselves to come to SJP at this point in time.

We have, over the past 3 years, become a mid-table side AT BEST - all caused by bad Direction & bad management ; nothing more, nothing less.

No Bad Fairy has suddenly put a curse on us and swept us into the underworld - it has all been self-created.

The fans are NOT to blame for this(other than being too easily conned by the people running the club), and there is no reason why they shouldn't have had high expectations - IN THE PAST..

We now have to face a period of regaining the club's self-respect and this will take time - it would be a help if we had a good crop of youngsters coming through whose loyalties are with the club, but we haven't enough.

That being the case, Sam has to get the best he can obtain in the circumstances, and I believe he is doing that - does anyone seriously doubt that Gudjohnsen would be hesitating about joining us if we were in the CL..??

The fans have to give Sam & the team time, but I defend them totally from accusations of fickleness etc.

How can ANYONE who purports to be a NUFC fan accuse his fellow-supporters of that ?

They had EVERY right to complain about things in the past because they have consistently been the most loyal & supportive of all the well-supported Clubs WITHOUT seeing any success on the field - all these complaints about the fans are from people who are ;

1 Too easily-satisfied

2.Have a Boys Own vision of misplaced Gang-loyalty.

People pay BIG money for Season Tickets , Merchandise etc and when they see themselves being exploited they have every right to complain - they ARE the customer, and you can bet your last penny that Ashley, of all people, will be well aware of THAT...

It will all take time, but given a couple more decent signings, a place in the Top 6 IS achieveable.

It scares me a bit how tough a league the premiership is these days.

The scrap for uefa places was intense this year, this comming year its going to be absolutely murderous!

We have got our act together, and seems the only wayis up the table, but we arent alonein this; Villa and Mcity are going to be our bitter rivals this season for those cup slots.  Everton are unpredictable form wise, but think we are potentially better than them (on paper) but they proved they have great team spirit.

Pompei are slowly slipping back to midtable, maybe bolton too!

Spurs are now in top 5 scrap, and i think it wont be this season thatwe can equal them; they have made some fab signings in last 18months.

I cant see us pulling any rabbits out of the hat.  Any world class players, wont leave the champions league, it might be better to search for u21 cutting edge talent, players capable of becoming big name sin the next few years??

I think we can make top 8 with ease.  A few more quality signings will really add the cream on the cake!

It would be great to be fighting spurs for 5th place, but in reality i think that maybe next season.

Guest WalkervilleMag

eh ?, we have had 2 poor managers in sucessesion,  playing bad football,  but still beat Spurs home and Away last season.  we played them of the park at St James pk, and at WHL they were slightly the better team, but our superior attack took the points

In 8 more days Allardyce will have been in the job for 2 months, in that first month a takeover must have hindered plans somewhat. Since then he's brought in four players that arguably improve our squad considerably, though reservations can be held over Roz as no-one has seen him play more than a couple of games and he's new to the premiership.

A backroom staff is in the process of forming the likes of which has never been seen at this club. On the run to Xmas Sam will identify anyone who is not fitting in to his plan and they'll be shipped out in January. So after January expect the best team spirit since the Keegan  years.

I don't think anyone has cause for complaint, though concerns are perhaps a different matter. It's very early days and when you compare the transfer activity under Allardyce and the previous incumbent it's a little like revelation.

Lastly, I think the journo that penned "Ashley to stun the football world" was in fantasy land after some mushrooms when he wrote the story. It's a total fabrication born of two rumours, the 250m over 5 seasons and the 50m transfer kitty.

I pray I live to see the day when papers are held accountable for everything they print, some of the rags will go out of business in weeks.