Premiership to introduce Hawk-Eye Technology

NSG

Guest nufc 4 life
Premier League in Hawk-Eye trials 

Goal-line technology could help referees

The Premier League is to test a Hawk-Eye system, which will determine if a ball crosses the goal-line or not, with a view to using it in matches.

Paul Hawkins invented a system used in cricket and tennis for key decisions and the ball-tracking device will be tried out at Reading's academy.

Hawkins told BBC Five Live Sport: "We have a contract with the Premier League to develop a system.

"It is purely for the referees and not for television."

He added: "The process is to be evaluated firstly by the Premier League and then Fifa.

"If we jump those hurdles then there will be a slow role of trialling it in matches and, hopefully, with the end game of it being in all the Premier League grounds."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6281768.stm

Good move imo.

Anything that helps to get the decision correct is a good thing. I'd limit it's use to decisions of fact though. It can't be used on decisions of opinion.

It can make a big difference. Liverpool might not have made the Champions League final two years ago if this technology was in place as most people believed it hadn't crossed the line.

It's the only technology I want to see introduced though. Once we start getting TV replays for refs the game will become more stop-start like American football or to a lesser extent rugby. That's not what football is about, football is about a constantly flowing game.

Guest nufc 4 life

i want this introduced but nothing else, because part of the fun of football is not knowing what is going to happen next, slagging the referee off when he gets a decision wrong and football has always been full of indecision i'd like to keep it that way, becuase otherwise the game will be too perfect, every decision right e.t.c. Plus as ohmelads said it might turn into a american football/rugby type game

It can make a big difference. Liverpool might not have made the Champions League final two years ago if this technology was in place as most people believed it hadn't crossed the line.

It's the only technology I want to see introduced though. Once we start getting TV replays for refs the game will become more stop-start like American football or to a lesser extent rugby. That's not what football is about, football is about a constantly flowing game.

Lets get rid of refs then.

Guest Dr. Pongle

Tin hat on here but I'm against video technology.

Football has been for played well over a hundred years now in almost every continent, it was called the 'Beautiful Game' without video technology and I reckon it should stay that way. At least when something controversial happens we'll have something to discuss.

Not for me.

ridiculous comment. American Football is designed to be that way, its a completely different style of game and will in no way be similar to a hawk-eye filled football. Rugby, fine, American Football? Not at all.

I'm sorry but this is a rubbish argument, how often is it not obvious whether a goal has gone in or not. Not very. It will become nothing like American football. It can be used sensibly to check dubious looking goals. Players arguing about a dubious looking goal will take up more time than this Hawkeye system would to return a result.

If we had had this last season West Ham would not have beaten Blackburn and would have gone down. For this alone it would be worth it as I loathe the whinging B*st*rds and their truly ugly egghead chairman

Guest gggg

How will this work exactly? Hawk eye is not going to tell you if it's over the line or not by a bleep system so what if the ball bounces back out and the other team runs up the other end and scores before they found out wether or not it went over the line in the first place?

I'm sorry but this is a rubbish argument, how often is it not obvious whether a goal has gone in or not. Not very. It will become nothing like American football. It can be used sensibly to check dubious looking goals. Players arguing about a dubious looking goal will take up more time than this Hawkeye system would to return a result.

That's not what he said though, he was saying that it would become that way if it were introduced for refereeing decisions, such as penalties.

Guest firetotheworks

Hawk eye for referees and linesmen is a good idea I think. As long as we dont introduce replays for TV and for the crowd, that would slow things down. As for football being the beautiful game with no video technology. It was called that before offside was introduced, and the back-pass rule. I think when used for crucial things like the ball crossing the goal line it can only be a good thing. Offsides, throw ins and corners shouldnt change.

How will this work exactly? Hawk eye is not going to tell you if it's over the line or not by a bleep system so what if the ball bounces back out and the other team runs up the other end and scores before they found out wether or not it went over the line in the first place?

I would say that the best way to do it would be for the ref to blow up immediately, as if ruling a goal, then check it out.

Guest gggg

I would say that the best way to do it would be for the ref to blow up immediately, as if ruling a goal, then check it out.

And then everybody stands around for a minute before they restart? How would they restart the game?

Guest nufc 4 life

i think the foruth official will view the incident straight away make a decision and tell the ref.

I think this could work for penalty decisions too. Not about was it a foul/was it not a foul, but you get the odd few a season where you get a was it in or outside the box. Like with whether it crossed the line, wouldn't take that much time for a 4th official to view a replay and relay the message.

And then everybody stands around for a minute before they restart? How would they restart the game?

Fair point. What nufc4life just said is probably the best way, they're in constant contact anyway these days I believe. It only takes a split second to check, as Wimbledon this year has showed.