Would you be willing to donate to Newcastle-Online?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

so at the current vote level (68 for), you need each contributor to donate just under £15 each to fund a £1k a year server

A rather simplistic view.

how's that then?

Only 144 people have voted - there are more than that who post suggesting not everyone has voted/read the thread.

Some people are willing to donate more than £15, so the average would be different for others.

We will still make money from other adverts, reducing the total required from donations.

We wouldn't necessarily need to raise a full year's worth via donations.

On thaat KUMB site they've got that Capital One advert at the top. Personally i'd have absolutely no objections to something that size at the top of the screen.

On thaat KUMB site they've got that Capital One advert at the top. Personally i'd have absolutely no objections to something that size at the top of the screen.

They've got loads of adverts as well as a Premium members forum which is £1.25 a month, look at the main page.

Just in case anyone doesn't fancy donating there are google ads down the right of the screen at www.newcastle-online.com they are what currently pay for the server.

Is your Dreamhost server a dedicated server ? If not it's no good really.

Nah its not dedicated but they are a good company..... have 230Gb free and bandwidth is crazy (1 Terrabyte I think)

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html

Have Crazy Domain Insane.... am using around 5Gig at the moment for my own website and still have 230gig siting doing nothing

Why would I want to donate to a site where I can't start a new topic?  That was a stupid decision by the admin people and was not thought through. I even pm'd them and didn't even get a reply. 

Just in case anyone doesn't fancy donating there are google ads down the right of the screen at www.newcastle-online.com they are what currently pay for the server.

Is your Dreamhost server a dedicated server ? If not it's no good really.

Nah its not dedicated but they are a good company..... have 230Gb free and bandwidth is crazy (1 Terrabyte I think)

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html

Have Crazy Domain Insane.... am using around 5Gig at the moment for my own website and still have 230gig siting doing nothing

Review of Dreamhost:

Dreamhost may look tempting, but their whole business model is a lie. In reality, you do not receive anything near the number of bandwidth or storage space they offer because they will start limiting you either

1) directly(by email and then placing a cap on you) or

2) indirectly(by moving you to another server where it's incredibly slow, it took upwards of 17 seconds for anything to appear. And then another 10 seconds just for you to finish downloading the page).

I have used the $9.95, $39.95, and $79.95 plan that dreamhost offered. If you try to contact support, they will just tell "everything's fine" as your site slowlyyyyyy loads up.

If you have a small website:

There are cheaper alternatives than dreamhost.

If you have a medium sized website:

You can use dreamhost, but expect very slow pageloads because dreamhost crams well over a thousand virtual servers on one machine.

If you have a large sized website:

Forget it, go elsewhere. Dreamhost is nothing but a dream, and at best a nightmare at that.

Guest Verlaine

what site is that jarra? how many members?

Gaming website,850 members.

That shut him up. :lol:

Guest Invicta_Toon

why, what was I going to say then nostradamus?

Guest Spark

Why would I want to donate to a site where I can't start a new topic?  That was a stupid decision by the admin people and was not thought through. I even pm'd them and didn't even get a reply. 

Spot on, mate. Not exactly welcoming for new members is it?

Spot on, mate. Not exactly welcoming for new members is it?

The reasons are obvious for it on a board this size though.

The other way we had newbs starting shit threads the whole time, the forum was full of shit threads at times.

Guest Verlaine

why, what was I going to say then nostradamus?

Well, clearly you were hoping for another Big Brother or Russell Brand fansite. :lol:

Guest nyscooby

I'd donate, but only as part of a membership scheme, where i got more in return for my cash than bandwidth.

maybe a free scarf :-)

or a greggs gift card, its high time the lads were sponserd by greggs.