More evidence that McClaren is clueless

Guest Dr. Pongle

Guest Johan

Bashing our own players, in this club you either seem to be world class or utter shite not fitting to play in the premiership. Get a fucking grip ffs. He is young, he is already decent and with proper training and some luck may turn out quite ok. That and the fact that he wants to play for Newcastle and is loyal, give him a break!

he's pretty clueless like, but its amazing someone so clueless can be appointed by that perfect chairman Steve Gibson who is everything you would want a chairman.

He even followed him with an ex captain of the club with no managerial experience !!! The mark of a genius. Fancy that.

Taylor deserves to be in England imo..People here really underate him.

not mean people on here OVER rate him? Having taylor in the england squad is nearly as pointless in having jenas in it. they are never going to get a game because they are no way near good enough

Guest Kenton Magpie

He's decent but still has alot to learn, he does make some big blunders yet he gets away with them because there are too many nuggets at SJP with black and white rose tinted glasses on

He's overrated but he's a decent player. Christ, to be honest he's done remarkably well to be in the U21 squad when he's spent his professional career learning off clowns like O'Brien, Boumsong, Ramage and Bramble.

Taylor deserves to be in England imo..People here really underate him.

not mean people on here OVER rate him? Having taylor in the england squad is nearly as pointless in having jenas in it. they are never going to get a game because they are no way near good enough

Well..I personally overate him, i think he fully deserves a call-up.

Guest Dr. Pongle

Bashing our own players, in this club you either seem to be world class or utter shite not fitting to play in the premiership.

Proof?

Tin hat on.

I think he's very average at the moment. He's still young and I'm sure he'll improve and stop making as many mistakes as he currently does. I'm not doubting his commitment or effort and he's not a bad player by ay stretch of the imagnation.....I just don't think he's the player some make him out to be. I wish he was superb  -but he's just...not. Yet.

Really want Allardyce to sign someone like Sol Campbell who will bring him on as a better player.

Agree with that. It gets a bit embarrassing when people rabbit on about him as if he was a world beater. For a good part of the season he was poor to average. He has the potential to be a steady centre half. Seen nothing but hyperbole to suggest he is top class. He is potentially a good player. So was Titus and we all know that it was all about consistency with him - sometimes very good, other times very poor. Taylor needs time and a bit of calm about him that he simply doesnt have right now. Long way to go for him...

Carragher and King are way ahead of him. Terry, Woodgate and Rio are on a level that I can't see him coming close to. Woodgate played for England at 19 and justifiably so. Taylor isnt close to his level, I'm afraid.

He's overrated but he's a decent player. Christ, to be honest he's done remarkably well to be in the U21 squad when he's spent his professional career learning off clowns like O'Brien, Boumsong, Ramage and Bramble.

I think the whole learning off other defenders at times is a bit of a cop out. Take someone like Woodgate for example, I don't think it was the fact he was playing alongside someone experienced like Radebe that he made his England debut at 19, that would have happened regardless.

I think the whole learning off other defenders at times is a bit of a cop out. Take someone like Woodgate for example, I don't think it was the fact he was playing alongside someone experienced like Radebe that he made his England debut at 19, that would have happened regardless.

Very very true. Playing alongside Pat Heard and Andy Thomas didnt hold Gazza back.

I think you do learn from older players in the team especially when you are so young and just breaking into the first squad. Obviously Ramage isn't going to turn into Maldini if he played alongside a world class centre back but even with talent it would be a massive help to come into a team and be the one who is being lead rather than trying to guide your partner who has many more years experience than you.

Sort of agree with you Ally, not sure about overrated, but if its about looking at players attributes etc, if I was a scout I would say that Taylor has what you want for a top level player in his position. He also has the physical determination and aura about him to be a captain. There's no doubt that playing alongside someone like Woodgate would have been educational in the positional and intelligence side of his game, and so with improvement in that area he could become the real deal.

I would actually buy him if I was another premiership manager.

I also think the comparison made elsewhere with Carragher to be daft. Carragher is 29, and he wasn't a world beater either at Taylors age. If anything, Taylor is more like Carragher than any other top defender, and if he is as good as he became we will all be happy I suspect.

I also think zoggy has the qualities to be a top player, although last season he faded. Thats no big deal really, most young players do, he'll come back. I only hope its with us.

I think he's average, but for his age he's pretty good.

In a better defence I think we'll see a much better Steven Taylor this season, he might make the step up. I do think he has potential to go all the way and become a top centre back, he just needs guidance. Some players have it all upstairs like Woodgate, others are a bit rough around the edges like Taylor and can take a bit longer. It makes a world of difference playing in a steady back four, something he's never had. I remember this site pointed out we had 33 different back four combinations last season, surely more than anyone in the league. It'll also help having a couple of decent full backs and hopefully a decent partner for him. Playing for a shaky back four manned by different people every week is no recipe for success. His development will come on this season I reckon.

People seem to be going around in circles on the Taylor issue. Some realise he has the potential to be a very good player, and others have an irrational hatred for him. That isn't going to change.

I think he's average, but for his age he's pretty good.

In a better defence I think we'll see a much better Steven Taylor this season, he might make the step up. It makes a world of difference playing in a steady back four, something he's never had. I remember this site pointed out we had 33 different back four combinations last season, surely more than anyone in the league. It'll also help having a couple of decent full backs and hopefully a decent partner for him. Playing for a shaky back four manned by different people every week is no recipe for success.

A settled back four with good communication is the basics, and with it you can have a good defensive record.

He will have a great season. Mark my words..

Its safe to say he will.

But now that the media have changed their opinion of him (No one would dare question the young lion of England who roared with all his might carrying injury, carry his Country and even took a pen against the Dutch cunts) he'll be getting praise from all over the place, i just hope that doesn't go to his head too much. But it would be nice for a change that a Newcastle defender, and a home talent is getting praise from all angles, yet again i think the most critical people of him will come from his own fans, we just love to knock em down.

Guest Dr. Pongle

I really don't understand why Lescott keeps getting overlooked...

Star Trek lookalikes are a no-go.