Dirk Kuyt (now retired)

Guest DMan

Guest TampaToon

Although the WC was my first chance to see the man play, my opinion of Dirk Shuyt is based on more than 2 cover-your-eyes-awful outings in the last week...let's dissect Dirk's best season in the Dutch League

2004/05:

40 starts, 1 Sub, 32 Goals

3 Goals in a 6-1 beating of relegated De Graafschapp

3 More in a 7-2 beating of De Graafschapp

2 Goals in a 7-2 win vs the daunting Willem II Tilburg

3 Goals vs 14th-place ADO Den Haag in a 6-3 laugher

To his credit, 2 Goals vs Hearts in the UEFA Cup opener, but none for the rest of the tournament.

Over 1/3 of his goals came in 4 blowouts against categorically inferior opponents

Looks like he plays big against bad opponents, and there's plenty of those in the Dutch League.  Unfortunately they're harder to find in the Premiership, WC, and European Tourneys. A guy who can rack up a hat trick vs Reading and disappear vs Liverpool isn't exactly worth 10m

Anyone who's comparing him to Van Nistelrooy is really not going past surface level....does anyone honestly think this guy could churn out 14 goals in 11 Champions League games (no matter what caliber of team he was on) like Ruud did in his 1st season out of Holland? RVN showed up in Europe and the Champions League to prove he belonged. We need a guy proven against elite competition, not a guy who looks good as a man among boys.

Guest Bellers

Although the WC was my first chance to see the man play, my opinion of Dirk Shuyt is based on more than 2 cover-your-eyes-awful outings in the last week...let's dissect Dirk's best season in the Dutch League

2004/05:

To his credit, 2 Goals vs Hearts in the UEFA Cup opener, but none for the rest of the tournament.

Over 1/3 of his goals came in 4 blowouts against categorically inferior opponents

Looks like he plays big against bad opponents, and there's plenty of those in the Dutch League.  Unfortunately they're harder to find in the Premiership, WC, and European Tourneys. A guy who can rack up a hat trick vs Reading and disappear vs Liverpool isn't exactly worth 10m

Anyone who's comparing him to Van Nistelrooy is really not going past surface level....does anyone honestly think this guy could churn out 14 goals in 11 Champions League games (no matter what caliber of team he was on) like Ruud did in his 1st season out of Holland?

So what your saying is you'd complain if he scored against smaller teams in the premiership? You forgot to mention he scored a against Ajax and other top sides. It sounds as though your trying to make him sound as bad as you possibly can. Try watching him, before you make a judgement.

2004/05:

Anyone who's comparing him to Van Nistelrooy is really not going past surface level....does anyone honestly think this guy could churn out 14 goals in 11 Champions League games (no matter what caliber of team he was on) like Ruud did in his 1st season out of Holland? RVN showed up in Europe and the Champions League to prove he belonged. We need a guy proven against elite competition, not a guy who looks good as a man among boys.

RVN has only scored 4 goals in the CL for Man Utd in the knockout stages, that for me sums up his scoring record against the better teams in the competition.

You've also failed to comment on the 31 assists Kuijt has made in the last 2 seasons.

Guest TampaToon

So what your saying is you'd complain if he scored against smaller teams in the premiership? You forgot to mention he scored a against Ajax and other top sides. It sounds as though your trying to make him sound as bad as you possibly can. Try watching him, before you make a judgement.

my free time is somewhat limited, so what football i am able to watch, i focus on the elite leagues. you're right, i haven't seen him play outside the WC and i admitted as much...but all i saw was a guy who was afraid to create, who couldn't keep posession, and a was occasionally his side's own worst enemy with a number of blown opportunities.  those are fundamental things no matter what the competition, and i honestly think shola ameobi could've put on the same listless show of near-misses and lost balls. they're the same type of striker, and until now, i just assumed kuyt had a more refined game.

to answer your question, i would complain if that's the only time he produced - we need a striker that can carry the team; even chopra can put away a goal vs sunderland. yes, he scored against plenty of other sides, my review was restricted to multi-goal ("big") games.  his only other multi-goal game that year was a 4-2 loss against PSV. he also scored in a draw and a loss v ajax, and was goalless in a 3-3 draw for the other PSV meeting. you can't pin the lack of a win on kuyt alone, but shouldn't we have our eyes on a striker who can be the difference-maker in matches like that?

i'm not one of those who thinks nobody will be good enough, if you can't fill shearer's boots then blah blah blah fans.  i'm just saying if we're gonna spend 10 million, then let's spend it on a player worth it.  otherwise, i'd just as well see us load up on cheaper up-and-comers and give roeder a year to build them up. if we want to go deep in the tournaments, we'd be better served with a deeper squad than with a couple more "superstars" battling with a change of country and unreaistic fans anyhow.

if kuyt were a bust in chelsea, they might not even notice if didn't show up to training for a month.  if kuyt is a bust in newcastle, our season is pretty much a loss.  i'd rather spread that responsibility to a few cheaper young players who may or may not emerge or to a proven premiership player. 

2004/05:

I know someone who is an avid Ajax fan and cannot wait for Kuyt to go as he says he always scores against them or has a cracking game

Guest TampaToon

unlike others, i'm willing to own up to my status as simply an armchair pundit without all the answers.  i'll just say that if you look at recent trends for newcastle, the pricey imports using a newcastle jersey to feel out the premiership have been flops and cost the club plenty of goodwill with the fans, while the less expensive up-and-comers coming from lesser clubs or limited playing time (n'zogbia, parker, chopra, milner) have not only overachieved but shown all the heart you can ask for and sparked the fans imagination.

we're sort of a consolation prize for the big international players at the moment, so i say we play to our strengths. let's curb the premiership newbie experiments until we're a team with the stature and depth to withstand an expensive failure or two.

Guest SCF08

Kuyt has scored in the last 6 games against ajax (which NO player has EVER done from both sides) and he scored the winner (1-0) against Psv last december as well

unlike others, i'm willing to own up to my status as simply an armchair pundit without all the answers.  i'll just say that if you look at recent trends for newcastle, the pricey imports using a newcastle jersey to feel out the premiership have been flops and cost the club plenty of goodwill with the fans, while the less expensive up-and-comers coming from lesser clubs or limited playing time (n'zogbia, parker, chopra, milner) have not only overachieved but shown all the heart you can ask for and sparked the fans imagination.

we're sort of a consolation prize for the big international players at the moment, so i say we play to our strengths. let's curb the premiership newbie experiments until we're a team with the stature and depth to withstand an expensive failure or two.

I love the examples you gave:

N'Zogbia - granted, a real find. How often does that happen though, unless you're Arsene Wenger?

Parker - a £10m buy for Chelsea, hardly came out of nowhere.

Chopra - shite, peddled.

Milner - poor first season, loaned.

You've convinced me.

I dont think Kuyt would be a bad signing, probably a good signing. But i also feel that at this moment we cannot take any risk at all...

And Bent for £12m  bluebigeek.gif bluebigeek.gif dear god NO..Hopefullu it's just a rumour which i believe it is. That if anything is a big risk..Especially at that price...

And i also wonder what price Man Utd really want for RVN...And would he like to come here? Or will he want go go to a big european club?

I believe he will go to Germany or Italy, maybe Bayern M or Milan...

So where does that leave us? I would go for Kuyt but not anything above £8m And Defoe? Not for the money that has been mentioned around..

Martins on loan for the season with the price already been agreed before with a option of buying him at the end of the season..

Wow, you've seen a striker play part of a game on the left wing and one whole game up front in a World Cup knockout game (his first of the competition).  Well that makes you an expert in my opinion, feel free to not only call him shite but to be incredibly childish about it as well, great post!!

Is there any young promising strikers in the championship?

David Nugent

Cameron Jerome unfortunately has been snapped up

Ok...Where did Cameron Jerome go? He played for Cardiff before, right?

What kind of player is this David Nugent? Scored many goals?

I really haven't seen much of players outside the biggest leagues..

Guest teepee

danish media has wenger admitting interest also. if we want him we need to move NOW, else he'll end up somewhere else.

as for the player - i'd still love him, and i dont give a shit whether he didn't have the best game against portugal - none of the dutch did!

Is there any young promising strikers in the championship?

Leroy Lita is one who has been overlooked here as well...

but I suppose Fred's had his fingers burnt when it comes to up and coming British talent (Cort) before...

Guest Armchair Pundit

Liverpool, Arsenal or Newcastle United... that'll be a really hard decision for him then. If we really wanted him we should have moved for him before now, it was bad enough with Liverpool showing an interest, if Arsenal are now sniffing around that'll pump his price back up regardless of his performances in the World Cup and to be honest if it comes down to a straight fight between us three clubs I can't see him coming here unless we offer more to his club and more to him in wages than either of the other two - with Shepherd saying we sere going to start getting away from that sort of dealing I can't see him coming to us now sadly  bluesigh.gif

The scum is the one he wants, he made that pretty plain when Spurs were chasing him.  I think he'll wind up with them and probably go there on the cheap as well like Van Persie.

Disagree. Van Persie has become an outcast after throwing the mother of all wobblers in the dressing room and Wenger picked up on this and got a bargain with the intent of calming him down.

Kuyt will have a number of suitors and with a contract till 2009 Feyenoord could still get a good price next summer.

Guest smoggeordie

FFS this is rediculous. If we lose out on him because we fannied about too long i'll be gutted.

Wow, you've seen a striker play part of a game on the left wing and one whole game up front in a World Cup knockout game (his first of the competition).  Well that makes you an expert in my opinion, feel free to not only call him shite but to be incredibly childish about it as well, great post!!

And Luque is ?

Guest Verlaine

Try to understand that if clubs are interested in Kuyt, they were interested for as long as us. So I don't buy into this 'fannying around' nonsense, because it's not as though he's suddenly got a lot of attention because of his World Cup. Considering Wenger has already had him watched, it's clear he was more than aware of the player. It's nothing to do with us waiting has suddenly got other clubs interested.