Our best transfer of the last 15 years

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Guest redmayne

killer kilkline did a good job

and ginola first seasonw as so unexpected...

awesome

but shearer is the lord

Overall, Andy Cole. Signed for £1.5million, scored bucketloads for fun, sold for £6million plus Gillespie, who was a damn good winger till his injury at Old Trafford. The club benefitted in practically every stage with regards to him, even on his exit - and to top it off, that £6mill bought us Sir Les.

Obviously this is an unpopular view, but I dont think Shearer was our "best" signing, although one of the best. We paid £15million for a £15million player, but that £15million player only lasted for one season. Hes had several very poor seasons overall, some due to injuries, others due to aging legs, and quite importantly, towards the end of his career, he was holding the team back due to his reputation, regardless of what he had done for us (prime example, Kluivert Bellamy partnership being broken to accomodate a very poor Shearer). Some good seasons in between those poles under Sir Bobby, but at that point in time he had become a "good" Premiership forward - consistent, good on plenty of occassions, but a shadow of the player we shelled out a world record fee for. In Sir Bobby's team, was he even our best player reputation aside? Debateable, as Bellamy form was as good as his, albeit in a different role, as were the likes of Dyer, Nobby, Robert, etc. He was/is synonymous with the club/area, great servant and stats, but we didnt get true value for money due to the injuries as well as sentimentality in his latter years, and that for me counts against him somewhat, even if its completely not his fault.

TINO

Tino was just like Oba though, entertaining but not necessarily productive.

martins entertaining?

When was the last time we had a player who scored a goal from 25 yards which travelled at 84mph?

Shearer?

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Robert was way more exciting to watch than Martins has been.

I wasn't comparing Robert to Martins.

I was comparing Martins to Asprilla.

Shearer has scored the fastest travelling/hardest goal for us at 85.8mph (v Leicester on February 2 1997). Oba's against Spurs was 84 mph.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowledge/story/0,,2012031,00.html

Speed was a good transfer, though it took everyone a while to realise how good.

He was playing shite that's why. Playing LM/LW didnt help him & nor did the fact everyone wanted kinkladze (sp) at the time.

Overall, Andy Cole. Signed for £1.5million, scored bucketloads for fun, sold for £6million plus Gillespie, who was a damn good winger till his injury at Old Trafford. The club benefitted in practically every stage with regards to him, even on his exit - and to top it off, that £6mill bought us Sir Les.

Obviously this is an unpopular view, but I dont think Shearer was our "best" signing, although one of the best. We paid £15million for a £15million player, but that £15million player only lasted for one season. Hes had several very poor seasons overall, some due to injuries, others due to aging legs, and quite importantly, towards the end of his career, he was holding the team back due to his reputation, regardless of what he had done for us (prime example, Kluivert Bellamy partnership being broken to accomodate a very poor Shearer). Some good seasons in between those poles under Sir Bobby, but at that point in time he had become a "good" Premiership forward - consistent, good on plenty of occassions, but a shadow of the player we shelled out a world record fee for. In Sir Bobby's team, was he even our best player reputation aside? Debateable, as Bellamy form was as good as his, albeit in a different role, as were the likes of Dyer, Nobby, Robert, etc. He was/is synonymous with the club/area, great servant and stats, but we didnt get true value for money due to the injuries as well as sentimentality in his latter years, and that for me counts against him somewhat, even if its completely not his fault.

I thought Cole was £1.75million?

Anyway, some great players mentioned in this thread, we may have been shit for a while but we've had some cracking players.