Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

So at least one respected manager considers him to be PL class - if true, of course.

Must say it's laughable hearing that clueless little shit Mark Douglas talk about Harper and Shola being candidates for captaincy. Neither should even be on the bench with the current squad.

The sooner we ship harper the better.

I don't think that will have any baring on Forster's future tbh. It's what happens with Krul what will though.

We can accommodate two similar level keepers battling it out for no1 slot, both would be very happy with that and we will reap the benefits. The only spanner in that is Harper, It would be criminal to let him hold these two back.

I could see in a couple of years the 2nd fiddle keeper wanting to leave to have his own no1 spot, but until then neither keeper is in any position to be demanding it and taking a huff if they have to fight for it.

I don't think that will have any baring on Forster's future tbh. It's what happens with Krul what will though.

We can accommodate two similar level keepers battling it out for no1 slot, both would be very happy with that and we will reap the benefits. The only spanner in that is Harper, It would be criminal to let him hold these two back.

I could see in a couple of years the 2nd fiddle keeper wanting to leave to have his own no1 spot, but until then neither keeper is in any position to be demanding it and taking a huff if they have to fight for it.

Couldn't disagree more. Forster's just played a full season for one of the biggest clubs in Britain and Krul just made his debut for one of the best national sides in the world. No way are either going to be happy without regular first team football next season, and it'd be bonkers on our part to keep chopping and changing.

Yep, especially when he could walk into the first team somewhere else.

Not a good as club as us. Jury is still out on both keepers, the only certainty is Harper is past it.

Not a good as club as us. Jury is still out on both keepers, the only certainty is Harper is past it.

True, but I think with Krul having the shirt already, and recently being capped, as well as being at a similar level if not better than Forster,  it would be terrible man-management to drop him.

One of the biggest clubs in Scotland tbf Dave, Scottish football is dire, and Krul played some friendlies as 2 or 3 keepers ahead of him were crocked.

If Krul starts getting competition games ahead of a fit Stekelenburg then fair enough, till then he's a you g keeper who should be grateful of getting chances when he cam here.

I think Forster could turn out to be the better keeper in the long run, but the shirt is probably Krul's to lose now. Should be, anyway.

Start the season with Krul, and have Forster on the bench.

True, but I think with Krul having the shirt already, and recently being capped, as well as being at a similar level if not better than Forster,  it would be terrible man-management to drop him.

It doesn't have to be like that though, Krul would be no1 and it's up to Forster to take it off him. You give him the cups, and some home games, give him chances to prove himself and eventually one will pull away, like it did with harper and given.

Other option would be to tell Norwich or even Swansea they can loan him for a season for free and long as he's their no1, allowing bother keepers to get maximum games in a league that matters and that sees to the end of harpers contract here.

Couldn't disagree more. Forster's just played a full season for one of the biggest clubs in Britain and Krul just made his debut for one of the best national sides in the world. No way are either going to be happy without regular first team football next season, and it'd be bonkers on our part to keep chopping and changing.

Bang on. :thup:

We should try to loan Forster out to Norwich - see what he is like in the Prem

This is probably the best we can hope for. Get to see a full season of both Krul and Forster in the PL and then we can make the big decision next summer. Harper is fine as a backup (as long as he never plays).

We should try to loan Forster out to Norwich - see what he is like in the Prem

This is probably the best we can hope for. Get to see a full season of both Krul and Forster in the PL and then we can make the big decision next summer. Harper is fine as a backup (as long as he never plays).

Do Norwich need a keeper now? I have no idea who their no 1 is and if he's any good......

Hey! I've just had a "Eurika moment", why don't we loan Fraser out for another year, put Krul between the sticks and have harps as back-up. Next year bring Foster back and have him and Krul fight for the shirt...

WOW....

P.S. Mike, if you're reading, Foster will be worth more also if you loan him to a Prem club.... :)

There's surely only so many more years he'll accept being shoved around from pillar to post. Look at Danny Simpson who's a similar age. He said he was fed up of being loaned out to clubs and it was a relief to have a settled contract where he could have a secure stage in his life.

I'd imagine Forster's now in that bracket. It'll either be first-team football here or leave for someone else who'll give him that, and unluckily for him I think Krul has the shirt so will probably have to go if he wants to progress.

It doesn't have to be like that though, Krul would be no1 and it's up to Forster to take it off him. You give him the cups, and some home games, give him chances to prove himself and eventually one will pull away, like it did with harper and given.

:mackems:

Agree with that Dave. There's no way after playing for Celtic that Forster will sit on the bench. Krul clearly needs game time to reach the level he should reach, everyone can see that. I don't think it helps many goalkeepers development to be just playing games here and there.

There's also the cliché that Forster would be "like a new signing" really. He's been away for 2 and a half years pretty much, he'll have to build up an understanding with the back four which Krul already has. I don't see the point of unsettling Krul for a keeper who's only of a similar standard and would be easier to move on as he's been away so long anyway.

Guest magpie99

I watched quite a lot of Forster last season and you cannot really rate him due to the following:

.  The quality of the league

.  The quality of the opposition most of the time was crap

.  Celtic had a reasonably good defence and midfield in front of him.

.  In most matches I watched which included the majority of the opld firm games, he had little to do apart from getting sent off in one game and letting Rangers score a couple of simple goals.

For a big lad, he doesnt dominate his 6 yard box and is generally slow getting down to shots in the corners.

I would loan him out to Norwich rather than sell him to anyone, just to see what he would be like as a busier goalkeeper in a midtable to struggling premiership team before making a decision on whether to seel him or not.

I do agree with Ronaldo though. Krul has the shirt to lose and Harper, at his age, should resign himself to be back up again.

• 1 month later...

Was half expecting it tbh. Think Krul is way ahead of him now in Pardew's mind. Harsh, but I think that Leeds friendly ended any hopes he had of being our first-choice.

Aye, I think this too.