Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I don't see what the point of loaning Forster is if we've decided Krul is the better keeper.

Forster would only come back from the loan even more desperate to be number 1 and would likely just request a transfer when this didn't happen. We need to back Krul, keep Harper as number 2 for a few years and then sign a reliable number 2 once Harps is done.

Guest hobshobs

Must admit, he looked very slow to get down to shots in pre-season.

Agree but still a hell of a lot quicker than Harper.

I don't see what the point of loaning Forster is if we've decided Krul is the better keeper.

Forster would only come back from the loan even more desperate to be number 1 and would likely just request a transfer when this didn't happen. We need to back Krul, keep Harper as number 2 for a few years and then sign a reliable number 2 once Harps is done.

A sound assessment. :thup:

The Leeds game did the damage, which is a shame. But Harper could still hang around for 3-4 years (he'll hardly be knackered considering he spent years and years on the bench) so something had to give. The sensible option would involve a buy-back clause.

Fraser Forster will head to Celtic for the season with the Hoops having an option to buy him for £2 million at the end of the season.

Guess this pre-season will be the last time we see Forster in a NUFC strip. :undecided:

Excellent news if true. Gets to play regularly and it's highly unlikely his value would drop as a result since it's not very high to begin with. If he performs well it could go up.

Harper is fine as second choice.

Excellent news if true. Gets to play regularly and it's highly unlikely his value would drop as a result since it's not very high to begin with. If he performs well it could go up.

Harper is fine as second choice.

If he is sold and we have a sell on clause, then I have no problem with him going to Celtic. If it is just another loan though, I'd far prefer him to go to top two tier English league side.

That said, I know it's not as easy as that, and I'm not sure he'd have that many decent clubs offering a chance of a first team spot after his so-so performances north of the border this past year.