John Terry is now the highest paid player in England

Skirge

£131,000 a week  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007330304,00.html

JT to be Prem's top earner

From IAN McGARRY in LA

July 19, 2007

CHELSEA have agreed a new £6.8million-a-year deal with John Terry which will make him the highest-paid player in England.

SunSport can reveal the Blues expect their skipper to sign a £131,000-per-week contract when they return to England next week.

Chelsea are in the USA on a pre-season tour and Terry’s agent Aaron Lincoln flew out to Los Angeles last weekend.

Negotiations with chief executive Peter Kenyon on the England defender’s five-year deal have been going on all this week.

As revealed by SunSport three weeks ago, Roman Abramovich demanded the contract disputes with Terry, 26, and Frank Lampard be resolved in America.

The Blues owner arrived in LA yesterday to shake hands on the Terry deal — and the Russian billionaire will now meet Lampard to discuss his future.

Lamps and JT, who was on £68,000 a week, argued they should be on a par with Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack, who earn £121,000.

Chelsea have finally agreed and now hope Lampard, 29, will extend his contract, which has two years to run.

Boss Jose Mourinho and Rom celebrated the Terry agreement with a drink at the team’s Beverley Hills Hotel.

£500,000 DREAM TEAM

Mourinho is determined not to lose Lamps or Arjen Robben — who is being chased by Real Madrid.

Mourinho said: “He’s a player like Frank Lampard with two more years of contract. So, in this moment, I look at him as a Chelsea player.”

Terry suffered a suspected broken toe during Tuesday night’s friendly win over Suwon Bluewings.

He will be assessed by club doctors today.

Premier League's top earners

1= Andriy Shevchenko, Michael Ballack (both Chelsea) £121,000 a week

3 Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) £120,000

4 Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd) £119,000

5= Wayne Rooney (Man Utd), Michael Owen (Newcastle) £110,000

7= Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd) £100,000

9= Fernando Torres (Liverpool), Didier Drogba (Chelsea) £90,000.

'JT' 'Lamps' 'Rom'  FFS

Anyway that would make him the highest paid player in the world, he's not even in the top 15 best players.  :idiot2:

Not worth anywhere near that IMHO.  I can understand him trying to get the best possible money but it seems like he's held the club to ransom quite a bit.  I take it he gave up on the ridiculous clause that he was guaranteed the manager's job when he retires?

Guest LucaAltieri

Chelsea have the wrong policy.

2 years left on contract = sell over-hyped greedy bastard to someone stupid enough to pay those wages. Cash in. Then bring in someone cheaper who actually wants to play for the club.

2 years left on contract = sell over-hyped greedy bastard to someone stupid enough to pay those wages. Cash in. Then bring in someone cheaper who actually wants to play for the club.

No one would pay half what he's on apart from Chelsea.

2 years left on contract = sell over-hyped greedy b****** to someone stupid enough to pay those wages. Cash in. Then bring in someone cheaper who actually wants to play for the club.

Exactly what I'd have done, couldn't of got shot of the pair quick enough.

Guest Ridzuan

Roman got a lot of money.Im sure it means nothing to him.But I think it wont be long before another player gets a higher income.

Good on him. Take what you can get.

Its good to see another club apart from us. Paying absolutley ridiculous wages. I know he is a great player but he is a defender ffs. Highest paid player in England??? Geez.

2 years left on contract = sell over-hyped greedy b****** to someone stupid enough to pay those wages. Cash in. Then bring in someone cheaper who actually wants to play for the club.

No one would pay half what he's on apart from Chelsea.

Original article claims Terry was on 68k. I think an awful lot of clubs would have paid 70, 75, 80k a week for John Terry.

Can't blame Terry for this one. Offered £131k a week - would anyone turn it down?

:nope:

He was originally offered less than this.  He's held out for this much purely because he wants to be the highest paid at the club.  He wasn't just given an offer that he took.  He played 'hardball' to get it.

Can't blame Terry for this one. Offered £131k a week - would anyone turn it down?

:nope:

He was originally offered less than this.  He's held out for this much purely because he wants to be the highest paid at the club.  He wasn't just given an offer that he took.  He played 'hardball' to get it.

Good on him then. I'd have done exactly the same.  :)

It will get really interesting when Drogba decides he is due a new contract which he should feel entitled too when you consider how much is being given to players who are not as good or as important to the team as he is.

How the hell is Terry earning £40,000 more then Drogba in a week? Chelsea without Drogba would be far worse off then Chelsea without Terry.